Do you Vape around your children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethenes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
If I had kids, I would. I don't feel second-hand vapor is close to being as dangerous than fluoride in the water, air pollution, nuclear fallout, oil spills and toxic corexit spewed into the environment to "clean" in up, mercury laden vaccines, GMO foods, etc... I'd rather prevent them from being in contact with any of those things which is basically impossible. Nicotine is a natural stimulant and found in EVERYONE at certain levels anyway. We all ingest nicotine whether we vape, smoke, chew... or not.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/275641-nicotine-research.html

Last edited:

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I just noticed something for the first time (sun is shining for a change). I always believed that the vapor disappeared in a few seconds and that led me (and how many others?) to believe that the air returned to normal in that time. Today, with the sun shining directly in the room, I blew vapor into the sunbeam and watched it for about five minutes. I guess it depends on the flavoring in the e-liquid (I'm not going to call it juice anymore, now that my awareness of children's viewpoints has been increased). Thick liquids having more vapor will last longer than pure unflavored?

Take the still air sunbeam test. How long can you see your vapor in the sunbeam?

Poppie

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2012
Detroit, Michigan
My daughter is grown...but I unfortunately smoked analogs in front of her for her entire life. Of course she smokes now.
Although, I did convince her to start vaping recently. She is doing well with it so far.

Back to the question...
I sometimes babysit or just visit with my 2 year old niece and no, I don't vape in front of her. I don't want her to think it's cool or interesting in any way. Her parents don't smoke. If they did...I would probably vape away.
If I were to be completely honest, however, I'm sure that I would in front of my own child...after all, I smoked actual cigs in front of her...so why wouldn't I vape?

It's easy to avoid it in front of my niece, I see her a few times a month. When you live with a child and you are addicted to nicotine, it would be very hard to avoid, IMO.

LeDean

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Tennessee
www.mountainoakvapors.com
I read a statistic that boldly stated, "1 in 4 High School students smoke." I have two small children. I smoked in front of them, now I vape in front of them. Don't get me wrong, I hope they never smoke. But, I hope they educate themselves on cigarettes and e-cigs should they decide to pick up a habit.

Note: I love vaping. I mean...I LOVE it. For me, it was a better alternative.

mikkey9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Chesterfield, England
OK i`ve just read this entire thread (all 12 pages), now i`m of an age where my kids are all grown up and yes i did smoke around them, even my grandkids are in their teens, and no i didn`t smoke around them (my how times have changed) but i swapped to vaping about 6 wks ago and i did a lot of research into the health aspects of both smoking and vaping, now i could fill a library with medical studies on how harmfull cigarette smoke is, but i could only find 2 that in any way related to vaping (i know there has been much more research into cigs, but e-cigs have been around for nearly 10 yrs now). Of the 2 i found one concluded that inhaling nicotine in vapour could encourage the growth of tumours (in patients who already have small undetectable tumours present). and in the second the researchers claimed to have found a link between pg particulates in the air and an increase in the risk of small children developing respiratory problems, eg asmha etc. This second study was actually concerned with pg in water based paints used in childrens bedrooms!
So 2 studies, the first i`ll discount (if i`ve got a tumour then i`ve got a tumour), the second is a harder call, but on balance i think i would not vape anywhere around young children.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Welcome. Yeah having been in the construction industry all my life many do not realize the toxins that are introduced to our environment when renovating. Also, as the study illustrates, many of these toxic gases "wake up" when high humidity is present. When we built our dream home the emphasis was on environmental no toxic garbage and energy efficiency. An example many do not realize the toxicity of exterior paints- bad enough on the exterior but DEADLY on the interior of homes. I have a friend who sells commercial air filtration systems- one customer actually had the system installed and within 5 yrs it had paid for itself because of less sick days from employees. If people knew the toxicity levels of these large downtown office buildings they would freak. I know of one building in downtown Toronto and their "fresh air" intakes are at the same height as where the carbon monoxide from car exhausts accumulates.
Happy Vaping.

Thanks.
:)

Sounds like Propylene Glycol Ethers (PGEs) are the culprit, not really propylene glycol by itself...
Propylene Glycol Ethers

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be breathing those either.
:)

El Diablo Marrón

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Tacoma Wa,
I just noticed something for the first time (sun is shining for a change). I always believed that the vapor disappeared in a few seconds and that led me (and how many others?) to believe that the air returned to normal in that time. Today, with the sun shining directly in the room, I blew vapor into the sunbeam and watched it for about five minutes. I guess it depends on the flavoring in the e-liquid (I'm not going to call it juice anymore, now that my awareness of children's viewpoints has been increased). Thick liquids having more vapor will last longer than pure unflavored?

Take the still air sunbeam test. How long can you see your vapor in the sunbeam?

Yeah i notice when i goto one of the vaping stores by my apartment, It looks like a bar.
Everyone vapes there, but even when nobody is vaping, the vapor lingers forever.
They use and sell Juicy vapor juice (My fav)
But at home as I chain vape I don't get the linger.
So maybe it has something to do with room temp? their store is about 72 degrees and i keep my apartment about 63 all the time. so maybe it lingers more in warmer temps.
And i know that liwuids high in VG will linger forever.
I use a 70pg30vg mix most of the time. but when i use anything with more VG it will travel across our whole 1,500 SQ foot apartment, and my wife will yell at me "Hey your vape is coming over here!!" or my favorite phrase she invented to call me "Dam vapist"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread