Do you vape @ HOME in front of your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenu2112

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Nashville
Never smoked in the house or near my kids, but they certainly were aware I was a smoker. I do vape in front of both of them now (they're 12 & 18), but they are just happy to see me doing anything other than smoking.

I do worry sometimes about feeding the habit in front of them, but they are both disgusted by smoking and believe vaping is more of a quitting tool...sort of like a safe methadone in their eyes. Hopefully they'll never take up either habit.

Then again, I was disgusted by my mom's cigarettes when I was a kid, and we know how well that turned out...

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I was at work the other day on my day off (I work in a restaurant/bar), out at one of the patio tables having a vape, and the owner comes in with his son, kid's maybe five or six. He says hi as they pass, and his son looks at me and says, "Did it work?" I looked at him, not knowing what he meant, and he points at my PV and says, "Did it help you quit smoking?" Now THAT, my friends, is a good way to teach your kids what vaping is. Made my day, as the owner isn't a smoker or a vapor, just has taken the time to learn what vaping is. It does affect his business, after all, given the nature of it. And, having learned what it was, he passed that knowledge on to his kids. I thought that was pretty cool.

Sarahbear

Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
My kids knew that I smoked and hated it. I do vape in the house while they are here, but not while they are near me. Even though they are between the ages of 3 and 7, they know that smoking is bad and unhealthy and mommy is using my pv as a quit tool. They used to beg me to quit smoking the "real" cigarettes (their words, not mine.) I think it helps that we have conversations all the time about what is healthy and what isn't, including smoking and drinking. Preparing kids for the real world outside of our house starts young, I think the more they hear about they will be better prepared to make the right decision when the time comes.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I have no children so here at home it is just the hubby and me. I vape in the house. He has only had 2 comments. 1. "Dang it you are making me hungry with that smell." and 2. "You have completely tossed off my ability to know what time it is because you don't go outside anymore."

He is actually extremely supportive of my efforts.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Of course I do! My son is almost grown and knows that vaping is a better alternative for me than smoking. He and my wife are both very supportive and encouraging.

That being said I thought I had heard it all, but making you wash your hands before playing with your kids, just because you smoke seems a little ....extreme ..almost ANTZlike.........to say the least.

Ive been around smokers my entire life and I cant recall seeing any of them wash their hands before playing with their kids. Half of them are more likely than not to scoop their kids up in a big old bear hug with a lit cigarette dangling from their lips.Its sad but true. I'm sure many of the ex-smokers here can attest to that as well as being accidentally burned by their parents who smoked for similar reasons.

You should take some time to read the CASAA site and pay particular attention the air quality studies showing no measurable amounts of nicotine in the vapor we exhale.

The statement made by you below is patently untrue and is indicative of someone who is either misinformed, stating their opinion as facts or working toward a more nefarious purpose altogether.

It is less harmful yes. (or maybe not you never know) but the fact that there IS still nicotines in exhaled vapor.

Last edited:

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
I finally convinced my wife that vaping is less harsh compared to smoking actual cigarettes.

In fact, she does like the point that i dont smell bad anymore and can play with my kids without washing hands after smoke.

But I still dont feel comfortable vaping in the house when everyone walks around and especially when my 4yr old son is staring at me probably wondering "... is he doing with that light saber looking thing?"

And i have seen many people vaping in the car drving with kids on board.

It is less harmful yes. (or maybe not you never know) but the fact that there IS still nicotines in exhaled vapor.

eGo-v knock off, eVic, ProVari mini, Smoktech Pyrex DCT, RY4 Kustom

My kids are grown, only one still lives at home, but they are all supportive, all collage educated as are my niece and nephews, and they have all educated themselves on pv's. They have no objection with me vaping indoors among my grandchildren and grand-nephews and grand niece. One of my nephew's father needed to stop smoking this year because of serious health issues, and I was able to give him my old ego's and get him started vaping. He is staying with my nephew's family, and they have no objection with him vaping with his grandkids in the home either.

kpmeth

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2013
SoCal
I've always drank and smoked in front of my kids/family. I am who I am. I don't judge and don't expect to be judged. My 13 yr old son is actually the one who helped get me to quit cigs and start vaping. I'll vape where I want, when I want. It's all legal so I don't see the big deal. I've never hid what I do from anyone. Just my opinion.

i call that being selfish.
no offense though.

my point was not if it is being legal to vape front of kids.

main concern is that exhaled vapor contains massive amount of nicotine depending on what type of ejuice you are using. This could be fatal to young ones even pets.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
main concern is that exhaled vapor contains massive amount of nicotine depending on what type of ejuice you are using. This could be fatal to young ones even pets.
Source? I believe that's totally incorrect. This sounds like misinformation and fearmongering to me.

The ClearStream-AIR study did an analysis of room air in a 60m3 closed room after 5 people had vaped in it for five hours (using 11 mg/ml juice). Total measured nicotine = ZERO.

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
i call that being selfish.
no offense though.

my point was not if it is being legal to vape front of kids.

Going on that theory what about vaping ZERO nic juice in front of them? NO nic for them to inhale second hand at all then.

I know quite a few people who have dropped their nic levels to zero and have no intention of quitting vaping. I am nearly there myself. The juice I mixed up yesterday is 1mg.

It is your choice of course what you do in front of your kids but I do not think it is your place to sit in judgement of others who choose otherwise. Using the words "no offense though" do not make a statement any less offensive.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009

This is patently false. The Op is stating his opinions as facts and doesnt know what he's talking about.

For this reason and MANY others I highly recommend new members acquaint themselves with CASAA.org

Comparison of the effects of e-cigarette vapor... [Inhal Toxicol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.utahvapers.com/clearstream.html

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/12776603-latest-studies-confirm-ecigarette-vapor-safety

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Source? I believe that's totally incorrect. This sounds like misinformation and fearmongering to me.

The ClearStream-AIR study did an analysis of room air in a 60m3 closed room after 5 people had vaped in it for five hours (using 11 mg/ml juice). Total measured nicotine = ZERO.

He doesnt have a source Cactus, but it appears he may have an agenda.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
He doesnt have a source Cactus, but it appears he may have an agenda.
I'm hoping we can write it off to just being misinformed....but one never knows......

The part about potentially being "fatal to young ones even pets" is definitely WAY over the top. If this were verified by any type of even remotely legitimate research/study, the ANTZ would be trumpeting it from the rooftops.

Last edited:

LunchusBoxious

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Ontario Canada
There was some study somewhere(something about wall paint that contained PG) claiming that constant exposure to PG doubles childrens risk of developing asthma. So in a closed space never when there are kids around, crack a window with adults and hotbox when i'm by myself.

Isnt PG in asthma inhalers?

chellemakepeace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2013
Atlanta
I do vape at home, in front of my kids, (14 and 18 year old boys)

They watched me sneak around and smoke ciggarettes all their lives. They begged me to quit and I tried and tried. Now that I am successfully off the ciggarettes, my kids are totally ok with me vaping. They know how much I struggled with smoking, and are happy with me that I have found a way to stay away from the negative chemicals in ciggs, and enjoy a nicotine fix on the fly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread