Do you vape @ HOME in front of your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
This is patently false. The Op is stating his opinions as facts and doesnt know what he's talking about.

For this reason and MANY others I highly recommend new members acquaint themselves with CASAA.org

Comparison of the effects of e-cigarette vapor... [Inhal Toxicol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Utah Vapers - Clearstream Air Results

Latest Studies Confirm E-Cigarette Vapor Safety
Good links zapped. I vape in front of everyone. Used to smoke outside, and chew indoors. My air conditioners are going. If I want to get my serious chain vaporizing on, I hide in my room. 1. My heating pad is in there 2. The kids usually leave me be for a few minutes. I am not too worried about left over vapor. Mostly I go to my room for some peace and quiet :)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
i call that being selfish.
no offense though.

my point was not if it is being legal to vape front of kids.

main concern is that exhaled vapor contains massive amount of nicotine depending on what type of ejuice you are using. This could be fatal to young ones even pets.

eGo-v knock off, eVic, ProVari mini, Smoktech Pyrex DCT, RY4 Kustom

This is just plain BS, as you well know. You have an agenda and not a positive one, either.

Radar2013

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Indianapolis, IN, USA
I finally convinced my wife that vaping is less harsh compared to smoking actual cigarettes.

In fact, she does like the point that i dont smell bad anymore and can play with my kids without washing hands after smoke.

But I still dont feel comfortable vaping in the house when everyone walks around and especially when my 4yr old son is staring at me probably wondering "... is he doing with that light saber looking thing?"

And i have seen many people vaping in the car drving with kids on board.

It is less harmful yes. (or maybe not you never know) but the fact that there IS still nicotines in exhaled vapor.

eGo-v knock off, eVic, ProVari mini, Smoktech Pyrex DCT, RY4 Kustom

When the idea of Vaping was brought to my attention, my fiancé and her 2 kids said that is I tried it I could smoke in the house instead of the garage. I have been vaping in the house every since. I had my 9 year old daughter at my house for the weekend since I started Vaping. I vaped infront of her. It took her a second to realize what I was doing. She just smiled at me and said "You GO Daddy". I laughed my ... off of course.

Yes there is a small hint of nicotine in exhaled vapor however recent studies have proven that nicotine is not a cancer causing agent like many of the 4000 other chemicals in a regular cigarette so basically there is no "Second Hand Smoke".

There is nicotine in some of the food we eat, some of the things we drink, some of the make up that women wear. For this to be a true nicotine "FREE" society do you realize what we would have to give up?

I have been Vaping for 2.5 months. I have saved $806.00 and 2600 cigarettes avoided. I am damn proud of myself. Yeah I still get that urge but I keep looking at the picture of my 9 year old up on the walls and that urge quickly goes by by...

COuld it be that you are embarrassed because it is something new? I went through that in the beginning.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I don't vape in front of children in my family - my two daughters and several nieces and nephews. My daughters are 2 1/2 and 4 months. The 4 month old doesn't really count in this as she has no clue.

When I was growing up, every single adult in my family smoked, except both of my grandmothers. I'm not blaming them for my smoking, after all I was the one who make the choice even though every one of them told me not to. But actions are so much louder than words.

My brothers are quite a bit younger than I am. The older one is 10 years younger. My father tried quitting a million times, but finally quit when my brother was about 4 and sitting around acting like he was smoking a pen. He sat down on the couch next to my father, pretended his Lego block was a lighter, sucked on a pen, and tilted his head up as he made a loud exhale. My father put his head down in shame and that was it.

Actions speak louder than words. A lot of people here have this notion that nicotine is some healthy wonder drug. I don't care what rationale they use. I'm vaping as a nicotine cessation method. Gradually dropping the nic concentration until I reach zero.

There's no guarantee my children and nieces and nephews won't smoke, vape or use any other means of nicotine. If they do, at least it won't be due to my influence. If they pick up the habit or start to, I'll be open and transparent about my nicotine use. Till then, I'll vape in the bathroom, porch and anywhere else where I'm out of sight. No way they'll do what my brother did and be able to say "I saw dad/uncle JR doing it."

Edit: I find it interesting that my 3 cousins and I who are within 3 years of each other all smoked/smoked at one point, yet my brothers and cousins who are significantly younger than us never smoked. Everyone (except one uncle) quit smoking before or right around the time they were born. Sure there's other influences out there, but there's no influence like your family. Maybe it's purely coincidental that it worked out that way, but I doubt it.

All of my mother's family smokes, even my grandfather and his brother, that I never met. Smoking runs in that family, and except for one (my youngest cousin) all started smoking. At home smoking was prohibited, my father suffered chronic asthma. My starting smoking was more genetics than environment, otherwise it can't be explained.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
This is just plain BS, as you well know. You have an agenda and not a positive one, either.

You and I in agreement about something? That should tell the rest of you something right there.

WV2 and I have had some pretty epic disagreements over what amounts to minor points and differences of perspective but neither of us would ever accuse the other of outright lying, spreading fear or having an agenda......unlike the OP.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I think he's still upset about getting his kayfun stuck to a mod. Still needs to blow off steam.

No reason to outright lie, spread false information as fact or try to give those against us any more bullets than they already have. I blow off steam all the time and that isnt the way to do it.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I won't allow myself to feel shame for using nicotine anymore than I do for using caffeine. I don't let my younger kids drink caffeine or alcohol or use nicotine, but as an adult who is allowed to use those products, I do and I don't hide it. I just talk to my kids about it. Explaining nicotine use to kids isn't anymore complicated than explaining anything else intended for adults only. I didn't smoke around my now-grown sons when they were little and told them about how dangerous it is, yet both of them started smoking in college - even though they knew all about vaping. (Thankfully, it only lasted a couple of years and they both vape now.) My parents never smoked around me and both quit smoking when I was very young because of my dad's health (and begged us never to start) yet all of us kids ended up smokers. The point being, not doing it in front of them when they are small is no guarantee they won't start.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
...but neither of us would ever accuse the other of outright lying, spreading fear or having an agenda......unlike the OP.
I haven't gone back and searched the OP's prior posts, but if he has a habit of "hit and run" misinformation/FUD posts like this one and not returning to defend them with verifiable facts, then I'd have to say he does indeed have an agenda. Classic anti-<whatever> tactic....post a lie, hope that at least a few people read it without reading the ensuing posts calling them out...mission accomplished - the seed of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) has been planted.

I'm still waiting for the OP to post something which verifies his claims. I have a feeling I'd better not hold my breath while I wait...

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
main concern is that exhaled vapor contains massive amount of nicotine depending on what type of ejuice you are using. This could be fatal to young ones even pets.

Evidence? Everything I've seen on exhaled vapor showed it contained less nicotine than a cabbage....just sayin'.

And kill kids and pets? No offense but, are you high? Again, from what I've found, at 18mg you get around 1mg of nicotine out of a 1.5 ml tank and no, you don't exhale the other 17mg. In analogs you get 1mg per cigarette and no one dies instantly from 2nd hand smoke so... You need to research a bit more and support the smear campaign a bit less friend.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I haven't gone back and searched the OP's prior posts, but if he has a habit of "hit and run" misinformation/FUD posts like this one and not returning to defend them with verifiable facts, then I'd have to say he does indeed have an agenda. Classic anti-<whatever> tactic....post a lie, hope that at least a few people read it without reading the ensuing posts calling them out...mission accomplished - the seed of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) has been planted.

I'm still waiting for the OP to post something which verifies his claims. I have a feeling I'd better not hold my breath while I wait...

I only checked the last few responses to see the overall tone. For three reasons. One is the OP. The name combined with some of his past posts really makes me wonder about a few things. But that was only a minor reason.

Second is the thread has no originality. Again, minor.

The main reason - I can't stand the "protect the children" mentality. I said it in the last thread of this tone and it's the same with this one. I see what it's about and I think of the song "Dyers Eve" by Metallica. If you haven't heard it, the meaning is basically an overprotected child being thrust into a world they are not prepared for.

At least most of the responses I did read indicate people don't want to do that to their children.

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
...I can't stand the "protect the children" mentality. I said it in the last thread of this tone and it's the same with this one. I see what it's about and I think of the song "Dyers Eve" by Metallica. If you haven't heard it, the meaning is basically an overprotected child being thrust into a world they are not prepared for...

I am right there with you. I was overexposed to .... as a child and as a result, I avoid it like the plague. In fact I believe it is a plague.

I had a friend who was sheltered his whole life and now I can't look at him without shedding a few man tears because he's fallen so far and become an absolute wreck.

P.S. I love the Aleister Crowley quote in your sig. At least you didn't go with "Do what thou wilt..." like most people do. He said much better stuff than that and it's somehow the only quote that even practicing occultists know half the time...

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I am right there with you. I was overexposed to .... as a child and as a result, I avoid it like the plague. In fact I believe it is a plague.

I had a friend who was sheltered his whole life and now I can't look at him without shedding a few man tears because he's fallen so far and become an absolute wreck.

P.S. I love the Aleister Crowley quote in your sig. At least you didn't go with "Do what thou wilt..." like most people do. He said much better stuff than that and it's somehow the only quote that even practicing occultists know half the time...

I saw the effects of .... in a localized area of the country before it became common nationwide. Not a pretty sight.

I actually don't like Crowley and that fact, to me, makes that quote all the more impressive. I considered adding something to the sig to point out that in his time the word prejudice hadn't yet been hijacked by race concerns but decided not to because it still applies to those concerns.

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I saw the effects of .... in a localized area of the country before it became common nationwide. Not a pretty sight.

I actually don't like Crowley and that fact, to me, makes that quote all the more impressive. I considered adding something to the sig to point out that in his time the word prejudice hadn't yet been hijacked by race concerns but decided not to because it still applies to those concerns.

Momma said "Don't do that s@^t!" while I was watching people's lives fall apart, and so I gained an understanding of what it was. Don't "expose" them to it per se, but don't hide it cause curiosity killed more humans than cats. Believe it!

Putting it in that perspective does add some weight to the quote! I was enthralled with Crowley from a young age. So young in fact, that I had to steal the books from the library, hide them from my family, and sneak them back on the shelf later so I wouldn't actually be stealing. lol

I began studying the occult at five years old. Of course, I was an extremely bright child. (Not to blow my own horn, but in honesty my IQ was always abnormally high.)

I understood a great many things at that age I probably shouldn't have, but it helped me to see the danger, or lack there of, in certain activities. Helping our children to understand some things early on, I believe, can only result in more people who, like me, make informed choices THEN which becomes something that is "set into their ways" later.

That, was longer than I intended...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread