Do you vape @ HOME in front of your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Momma said "Don't do that s@^t!" while I was watching people's lives fall apart, and so I gained an understanding of what it was. Don't "expose" them to it per se, but don't hide it cause curiosity killed more humans than cats. Believe it!

Putting it in that perspective does add some weight to the quote! I was enthralled with Crowley from a young age. So young in fact, that I had to steal the books from the library, hide them from my family, and sneak them back on the shelf later so I wouldn't actually be stealing. lol

I began studying the occult at five years old. Of course, I was an extremely bright child. (Not to blow my own horn, but in honesty my IQ was always abnormally high.)

I understood a great many things at that age I probably shouldn't have, but it helped me to see the danger, or lack there of, in certain activities. Helping our children to understand some things early on, I believe, can only result in more people who, like me, make informed choices THEN which becomes something that is "set into their ways" later.

That, was longer than I intended...

lol

Don't get what I said wrong. I don't like Crowley but if you are looking for certain types of enlightenment he is at least interesting if not necessary to learn about. His ideas of "ideal self" and the abyss around it are crucial, but I believe others have built on it in a way that make it more applicable to a realist.

And where this totally fits going back to topic - Seeing .... and other things around me was my time in the abyss. I may not have found my ideal self through the experience but I came much closer. Perhaps going from smoking to vaping is just a part of that journey even if I didn't intend it to be. If so, who are we to blind a child's eyes to these things.

ETA - I can only think of one case of an person who probably wasn't high IQ being interested in the occult.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
There was some study somewhere(something about wall paint that contained PG) claiming that constant exposure to PG doubles childrens risk of developing asthma. So in a closed space never when there are kids around, crack a window with adults and hotbox when i'm by myself.

That study doesn't really apply to vaping for 2 reasons. 1) It's a study of propylene glycol-based ethers, which are different from straight, food-grade propylene glycol. 2) Even if propylene glycol and propylene glycol ethers were the same thing, the concentrations they are blaming on PGEs seems far-fetched. California OSHA (which is very strict) considers the PEL (Permissible Exposure Limits) for PG ethers to be 100 ppm or around 397 mg/m3 (milligrams) and it seems the highest exposure they found in the study was 81.93 µg/m3 (micrograms.)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm me, I don't hide who I am to anyone. Period.
Including my teenager. I'm not doing anything illegal, or immoral.
In this area more adults than not are sitting on barstools every night.
Teenagers and young adults are big on the drinking scene.
I'm not a drinker per se, but if I do have a drink I don't hide that either.
A child at some point in time has to face the real world - and make choices.
Hopefully responsible ones.
As far as if it's safe - there is a risk with just about anything. Anything.
But I don't buy the second hand vapor is harmful theory.
And I never will.
Thank you for making the world a better place.

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
lol

Don't get what I said wrong. I don't like Crowley but if you are looking for certain types of enlightenment he is at least interesting if not necessary to learn about. His ideas of "ideal self" and the abyss around it are crucial, but I believe others have built on it in a way that make it more applicable to a realist.

And where this totally fits going back to topic - Seeing .... and other things around me was my time in the abyss. I may not have found my ideal self through the experience but I came much closer. Perhaps going from smoking to vaping is just a part of that journey even if I didn't intend it to be. If so, who are we to blind a child's eyes to these things.

ETA - I can only think of one case of an person who probably wasn't high IQ being interested in the occult.

Indeed. From a realist view, Crowley is hard to swallow. I am a more fanciful person, and it's still a bit difficult to grasp even now that I'm older and wiser, though not necessarily any smarter.

I feel the same way about my time as a child. It's interesting actually that you make the "ideal self". When I started vaping I made the same reference about coming closer to my ideal self, but only being around my redneck family, it went over their heads a bit. Not to be negative about country folks of course. There is still a lot of country running through my veins; though I hate country music...and rodeos. lol

It does become frustrating when it's so hard to find someone to speak with on a more intellectual level, but at the same time I learn a lot of more practical skills; and get more practical advise, from "rednecks" so it's a love-hate thing really.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
i call that being selfish.
no offense though.

So much for not judging ppl.

:facepalm:..............:blink:

Not sure, but if this is about my post:

Simply out. These threads always lead to someone Praising a decision and some other insisting how ridiculous it is.
Both are judgements in a manor of form.
Neither are necessary as it is simply the OP's choice in life.

Not sure if that is selfish thinking but the response made me grin.:D

Have no reason to judge - my house is not yet in order

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I know this is just anecdotal, but my daughter lived with her birth mom and step-dad, who both smoked in the house and she had to take allergy medicine. Since she's been living with us the past 2 years, even with us vaping in the same room, she no longer needs allergy medicine. (I don't believe the research shows that SHS actually "causes" allergies, but it can definitely create allergy-like symptoms.)

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
What part of the second hand vape are we concerned about here, is it the nicotine exhale? Wasn't there a study done showing ecig exhale contained nothing harmful, or am I dreaming.

In order for that study to be accurate, wouldn't they have to do it with every liquid currently on the market?

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
In order for that study to be accurate, wouldn't they have to do it with every liquid currently on the market?

Umm no....the chemical variations from liquid to liquid arnt that great. Now maybe different levels 12mg vs 24mg(think that was done though need to go pull it.)

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
My wife and I always went outside when we smoked. Kids know we smoked and actually were instrumental in getting us to quit. Now that we are vaping, we will vape in the house, but won't blow big clouds while they are in the room, particularly if it is a small room. That being said, I keep a saltwater reef tank, if there were anything but the most minute levels of nicotine being put into the air, I'd know it because my tank would crash.

Our kids are old enough to understand that vaping is how we keep from smoking, and that it is not for kids. They have shown no interest in our vaping aside from being glad that we are no longer smoking.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Indeed. From a realist view, Crowley is hard to swallow. I am a more fanciful person, and it's still a bit difficult to grasp even now that I'm older and wiser, though not necessarily any smarter.

I feel the same way about my time as a child. It's interesting actually that you make the "ideal self". When I started vaping I made the same reference about coming closer to my ideal self, but only being around my redneck family, it went over their heads a bit. Not to be negative about country folks of course. There is still a lot of country running through my veins; though I hate country music...and rodeos. lol

It does become frustrating when it's so hard to find someone to speak with on a more intellectual level, but at the same time I learn a lot of more practical skills; and get more practical advise, from "rednecks" so it's a love-hate thing really.

Aye, sometimes people different from ourselves can show a different breed of enlightenment. Who knows, maybe the OP will opine with such insight.

Some of this conversation has been strange to me. I have spoken of things I usually don't talk about, even with the rare person I come across who is into mysticism or eastern life philosophies/religions. For some reason, when I do, more than one thing clicks for both myself and the other person, such as the ideal self coincidence. Perhaps something is telling me I should refocus on the ideal self concept. I know I've been thinking lately if I do I will probably go the route I should learn more about Buddhism since those practicing it have had the most impact on finding my own way to where I am in those regards. I know Crowley and his contemporaries were heavily influenced by eastern teachings.

Anyway, enough rambling, lol. It is hard to find the people you seek even when you aren't in Redneckia.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Umm no....the chemical variations from liquid to liquid arnt that great. Now maybe different levels 12mg vs 24mg(think that was done though need to go pull it.)

I'm not saying that might not be mostly true, but you'd have to test every one to know that the variations aren't that great. I have no idea what some of these liquids from China have in them - and don't even know what some of the flavorings in the US entail. Remember the big scandal over Red Dye #2? How can you be certain that some e-liquids might not contain dyes or flavorings or other ingredients that might be harmful in some way? To the user, or children or pets? There's really no way to be 100% certain.

fatttymagoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Rice Lake WI
My daughter is only 17 months old, she has the attention span of a fish. But whenever she sees me vape or my mods she pointsand say "icky"... And like every 17 month old she says it MULTIPLE times lol. I don't want to hide things from her. If I hide vaping from her what's going to stop her from hiding things down the road?

Tatsel_Morte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aye, sometimes people different from ourselves can show a different breed of enlightenment. Who knows, maybe the OP will opine with such insight.

Some of this conversation has been strange to me. I have spoken of things I usually don't talk about, even with the rare person I come across who is into mysticism or eastern life philosophies/religions. For some reason, when I do, more than one thing clicks for both myself and the other person, such as the ideal self coincidence. Perhaps something is telling me I should refocus on the ideal self concept. I know I've been thinking lately if I do I will probably go the route I should learn more about Buddhism since those practicing it have had the most impact on finding my own way to where I am in those regards. I know Crowley and his contemporaries were heavily influenced by eastern teachings.

Anyway, enough rambling, lol. It is hard to find the people you seek even when you aren't in Redneckia.

True enough it is hard to find those people. Buddhism is an amazing religion, and talk about complex! The teachings and values are quite simple. The implications and continued thought forms however are not... I learned a lot of my own views from Buddhist teachings. In fact a lot of us do without realizing that Buddhism was the original source. Funny how things always come full circle, another Buddhist; though originally Daoist I believe, teaching that everyone knows and loves.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Aside from my personal thoughts as to what the OP is doing posting this......

Yep, I vape vape vape away at home. I have zero kids and a very supportive husband. I vape in bed, in the bathroom, garage, family room, and even in the kitchen while cooking. Front yard, back yard, and garage too. Fog it up in the car.

I also vape in my parents home, my sisters homes, and in front of my nieces and nephews. They all know I smoked, and they all support my vaping. They have zero problem with me vaping in front of any of them. If I thought it was dangerous, I would not do it....I believe in the safety of what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread