Do you vape @ HOME in front of your family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
I agree that doing it around other people's kids is different. :)

Why? You mentioned drinking caffeinated beverages around kids - do you think having a coke in front of other people's kids is different?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just making a point. The only reason people think it's somehow different is due to the fact that it "looks" like smoking. It's not - it's clearly not - even cig-a-likes are easy to spot and the lack of smoke is a pretty clear indication if that's not enough.

I think it's pretty sad that people want to shield their children from the real world and insulate them in a world of make believe. How is this possibly beneficial for anyone?

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
Just to be clear - I do have two children and I vape around them all the time. My youngest is 5 and asks a lot of questions about it, my oldest is 11 and he likes to see how it works - the nuts and bolts of everything. They both know that it smells good and that it likely tastes good, but they also know what it can do to them and that they are never to touch it unless I tell them to.

Kid's don't need to be protected from the truth, they need to be protected from the ones who are protected from the truth. Both of my kids shoot guns and probably know more about gun safety than a good majority of the people in this community. A kid who is shielded from guns and is never taught gun safety is much more of a threat to society. I am raising my boys to be respectful, caring, fair individuals who aren't quick to pass judgement or get offended.

I don't hide a lot from my children - only when it would ACTUALLY hurt them to know the truth.

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
Well, guess I can give my perspective from another approach. I'm not the parent, but the child.

I don't vape in front of my family, I did it once, and I got scorn and distaste. I'm told the stress I feel is in my head and to get over it, so that kind of settled the "I'm only vaping in my room".

I had vaped for over a month before I told them, and 3 days after I told my parents my mother told me it smelled musty in the house, so it must be my vaping doing it, and she wasn't going to allow it. I got very irate with her and informed her of how long I'd been doing it, never heard of that topic again.

I've heard someone tell me "She just wants what's best for you", and at some points sure, I might believe that, but really hard for me to swallow on occasion.

Anywho, to answer the OP, no, I do not vape in front of my family.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Why? You mentioned drinking caffeinated beverages around kids - do you think having a coke in front of other people's kids is different?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just making a point. The only reason people think it's somehow different is due to the fact that it "looks" like smoking. It's not - it's clearly not - even cig-a-likes are easy to spot and the lack of smoke is a pretty clear indication if that's not enough.

I think it's pretty sad that people want to shield their children from the real world and insulate them in a world of make believe. How is this possibly beneficial for anyone?

It's different because it's the other parent's call, not mine. I believe that kids are a parent's responsibility and if they ask me to refrain from drinking caffeinated beverages in front of their kids, I would respect their wishes. It's not my call to decide what is OK for someone else's kid.

shakeytails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Kentucky, United States
It's different because it's the other parent's call, not mine. I believe that kids are a parent's responsibility and if they ask me to refrain from drinking caffeinated beverages in front of their kids, I would respect their wishes. It's not my call to decide what is OK for someone else's kid.

Seriously? If someone asked me to stop drinking my coffee or a Pepsi in front of their kid I'd tell them they're out of their flippin' mind!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Sorry, I didn't mean out in public re: the caffeine products. Oops, lol! I meant at their house or something. Their house, their rules. Out in public is different, because as a parent, you know the world has a lot of different behaviors of which you may not approve and it's your choice to bring your kids places. You cannot expect to control what people do in public - not that the ANTZ don't try!

But I think I would still stealth vape (if I was too desperate to wait) say at a Chuck E Cheese or other places intended for children. The public just isn't educated well enough about vaping yet and it could cause undue stress and panic. (And I don't often feel like dealing with confrontation and drama when it isn't necessary.) Once the facts are well known about how safe vaping is for bystanders, I won't hesitate to use it anywhere in public that the owner or management hasn't prohibited it.

shakeytails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Kentucky, United States
But I think I would still stealth vape (if I was too desperate to wait) say at a Chuck E Cheese or other places intended for children

If I were stuck anyplace intended for children I'd feel the need to stealth drink(Vodka looks just like water!) as well as stealth vape. I might even feel the need to smoke if the encounter lasted very long. I don't have kids for a reason!

wbbrn1952

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Pensacola, FL, USA
Back in my analog days -- that was from 1965 to 1991 - I smoked where ever I wanted just prior to my first stoppage of smoking I could smoke at the office, in resturants and anywhere I wanted to. I smoked in front of my kids and didn't think anything of it. Then out of the clear blue I put analogs down and didn't touch on for 18 yrs. then I was told I had the " Big C". So what the hell, I started analogs again - this time I couldn't smoke anywhere except outside - not in my house, not at work, nada...
Freedom just another word for something else to lose. -- But I do remember back when I smoked my youngest daughter would sneeze and hack, eye watered and such. During my freedom from analogs - all that stopped unless she got near the dog or flowers.
When I started back -- she sneezed when she got around me because of the smell.
Now I am vaping - no analogs - i vape around her and in my home and yes in hers - no sneezing, no watery eyes...
Therefore I vape and will continue to do so - by the way she turned 30 yesterday.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Back in my analog days -- that was from 1965 to 1991 - I smoked where ever I wanted just prior to my first stoppage of smoking I could smoke at the office, in resturants and anywhere I wanted to. I smoked in front of my kids and didn't think anything of it. Then out of the clear blue I put analogs down and didn't touch on for 18 yrs. then I was told I had the " Big C". So what the hell, I started analogs again - this time I couldn't smoke anywhere except outside - not in my house, not at work, nada...
Freedom just another word for something else to lose. -- But I do remember back when I smoked my youngest daughter would sneeze and hack, eye watered and such. During my freedom from analogs - all that stopped unless she got near the dog or flowers.
When I started back -- she sneezed when she got around me because of the smell.
Now I am vaping - no analogs - i vape around her and in my home and yes in hers - no sneezing, no watery eyes...
Therefore I vape and will continue to do so - by the way she turned 30 yesterday.

How are you doing now with the "Big C"?
If vaping was irritating, Mr. Robin would be a very miserable person too, like your daughter with the smoke.

wbbrn1952

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Pensacola, FL, USA
How are you doing now with the "Big C"?
If vaping was irritating, Mr. Robin would be a very miserable person too, like your daughter with the smoke.

Turned out that is was a renal cell carcinoma - in an encapsulated shell - had surgery in Feb 2010 and had part of the left kidney removed with the tumor. All follow ups have be clear. I find the vaping so relaxing though I do not want to give it up and have no plans too. I am tapering my nicotine and am currently at 6mg/ml.
thanks for asking:vapor:

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State

I can respect that, and like I said, I'm not trying to be confrontational at all. I will say, though, if I ran across anyone who asked me not to drink caffeinated beverages in front of their kids, I would make it a point to run across them as infrequently as possible from there on out. Lol.

Mispeld

Jul 27, 2013
Augusta, GA
www.fb.com
My wife and daughter both love the fact I'm vaping. No more smell, or leaving at random to have a smoke. In fact my wife has already said she doesn't care how much I spend on vaping as long as she doesn't have to put up with the smell. So yes, I vape around both of them.

My mother in law on the other hand, she did some "reading" and beloved everything she read on the internets. Being an ex smoker she doesn't want the exhaled vapor anywhere near her because it has nicotine. She told me this while making patatos. Had to laugh at that.

I always smoked away from my kids, as I didn't want to hurt them with my stinky habit. When I switched to snus, I didn't hide it as much, but my son was aware of it as much as he was aware of when I smoked. I told him it was yucky stuff, and he wouldn't like it. I also told him I used it so that it would help me stop smoking and not make me sick like smoking would.

I currently have no qualms about vaping in front of my kids, although I'm not blowing it in their face either. I explain that it helps me not to use tobacco and makes sure that I am around to take care of them. I believe in being very honest with my kids. Hopefully, setting an example of stopping doing something harmful will prevent them from ever doing it.

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
Just like when I smoked analogs, I still feel a bit weird vaping around those who don't smoke or vape. I kind of feel like I'm pushing my habit into their personal space. But, after asking permission, I feel better about vaping in areas that aren't so ventilated. However, when outside, I vape as freely as I want and do try to stand down wind of folks.

I second with others about the general feelings of a Significant Other. My wife is very, very thankful that I don't smell of smoke any more. Also, my brother just visited and remarked about how nice it was that I don't smell any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread