Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernoOrangeSS

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Pelham, AL
I would be lying if I didn't say that I have some concerns. To me, vaping seems almost too good to be true. I get all of the enjoyment, taste, and satisfaction of my old smoking curse, but none of the horrible downsides. I do know that vaping has been the only thing that has allowed me to break the chains of a 20 year addiction to Big Tobacco. I breathe better, I don't have the horrible stench of smoking, and I am overall feeling the best I have in a long time. No more coughing all night. No more wheezing when I breathe. No more clearing my throat every 10 seconds.
As others have said, (and I agree with), it may not be completely safe, but it has to be better than what I was doing to myself for so long. I am extremely new to vaping, so I take solace in the testimonials of the veterans here who have been vaping for years. Until I see incontrovertible proof that vaping is killing me...I think I will be sticking with it.
(I thank ECF and it's wonderful members every day I am smoke free for helping me get to where I am.)

:vapor:

Harlen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Charlotte Nc
I smoked for 40 years and had to quit , it was making me sick .
Thanks to vaping I was able to quit but was thinking that it wasn't going to get better.
Looked into what's in e-juice and every thing that's in it is in the food we all eat .
So if it's bad to vape it's bad to eat asWell .
I think it's the money they loose from smoking that's really at the point of the fear .

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
I smoked analogs for 48 years & was diagnosed with COPD in my right lung. I found PV's & quit in a week. Haven't wanted an analog since. I'm happy & my DOCTOR is happy. He claims the COPD won't ever go away, but I have extended my life by around 10 years.
I also can do things again that I haven't done in over 10 years due to lung troubles.
I am not worried about my health, just "Big Brother" trying to take these away.
They are going to "save us from ourselves" you know.

My 2 cents,
Louis

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My doctor is on board with vaping, also.

I was a 2 PAD smoker for about 40 years. Vaping took that away and did it without withdrawal symptoms. I did smoke a few a day while vaping for a long time before realizing I didn't need them. Quitting was a non-event once I dropped from 40 a day down to 6 the first week. I smoked one after meals and with coffee for a couple of years before deciding that smoking AND vaping was foolish. I just didn't buy the next pack and felt no different afterwards. Tapering off is the secret to successfully quitting smoking through vaping. Vaping makes that possible without the drama.

PG and VG do have some irritating effects the the lungs if you inhale constantly. That's indicated by the EPA workplace exposure limits for those who work around PG/VG fog in theaters and concerts and amusement parks. There's really no need to inhale to get the nicotine. Most of the nicotine we process from vaping is absorbed by the mucous membranes in our mouth, sinuses, and throat. Most of the droplets in the mist are too large to pass though the tiny ends of the bronchial tubes deep in the lungs and enter the alveoli where the nic could enter the bloodstream. The mist condenses early in the lungs and becomes a water vapor that sticks to the bronchial tubes. That gets moved back up into the throat by cilia.

Cigarette smoke consists of nicotine and tar coated ash particles that are small enough to complete the trip into the lungs and into the alveoli and straight into the bloodstream. That's why you get the rush from smoking. Vaping has to be absorbed through mucous membranes and that's why you don't get the sudden rush when you vape. If you have a nicotine urge, vaping takes a few minutes to reach satisfaction levels. So, if you feel that you need to smoke, just vape a little harder and wait a few minutes. The urge will subside. You don't have to light up.

If you want to absorb the nic without experiencing the lung heaviness or irritation, just hold the vapor in your mouth for a few seconds and exhale. If you like exhaling through the nose, you can do that by shallowly inhaling into the throat just enough to allow the vapor to be exhaled through the sinuses, where nicotine is also absorbed readily.

Last edited:

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's been a month for me. And I went through the whole detox thing now, and I notice I can laugh run and wake up without tightness in my chest. My taste and smell are even better than they were after the first two weeks, the ONLY problem I have is food tastes SO good now I want to eat more...lol!

That, to me, has to mean that vaping is much better than smoking. My skin has improved, my energy is better etc.

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My doctor is on board with vaping, also.

I was a 2 PAD smoker for about 40 years. Vaping took that away and did it without withdrawal symptoms. I did smoke a few a day while vaping for a long time before realizing I didn't need them. Quitting was a non-event once I dropped from 40 a day down to 6 the first week. I smoked one after meals and with coffee for a couple of years before deciding that smoking AND vaping was foolish. I just didn't buy the next pack and felt no different afterwards. Tapering off is the secret to successfully quitting smoking through vaping. Vaping makes that possible without the drama.

PG and VG do have some irritating effects the the lungs if you inhale constantly. That's indicated by the EPA workplace exposure limits for those who work around PG/VG fog in theaters and concerts and amusement parks. There's really no need to inhale to get the nicotine. Most of the nicotine we process from vaping is absorbed by the mucous membranes in our mouth, sinuses, and throat. Most of the droplets in the mist are too large to pass though the tiny ends of the bronchial tubes deep in the lungs and enter the alveoli where the nic could enter the bloodstream. The mist condenses early in the lungs and becomes a water vapor that sticks to the bronchial tubes. That gets moved back up into the throat by cilia.

Cigarette smoke consists of nicotine and tar coated ash particles that are small enough to complete the trip into the lungs and into the alveoli.

If you want to absorb the nic without experiencing the lung heaviness or irritation, just hold the vapor in your mouth for a few seconds and exhale. If you like exhaling through the nose, you can do that by shallowly inhaling into the throat just enough to allow the vapor to be exhaled through the sinuses, where nicotine is also absorbed readily.

I have heard that before, but I always wondered about dentures. The roof of your mouth is a huge part of absorbing, taste, water etc. However with dentures it's covered by plastic or porcelain. I'm an inhaler personally. But even when I smoked I felt like I only inhaled to the upper part of my bronchial tubes/back of the throat but I can't be sure.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have heard that before, but I always wondered about dentures. The roof of your mouth is a huge part of absorbing, taste, water etc. However with dentures it's covered by plastic or porcelain. I'm an inhaler personally. But even when I smoked I felt like I only inhaled to the upper part of my bronchial tubes/back of the throat but I can't be sure.

Your cheeks, tongue, and the rest of your mouth will absorb the nic. I try to inhale shallowly and not deeply into the lungs. I've recently started using the Aspire Nautilus tank and it uses cotton wicking that really creates some huge clouds of vapor. If I inhale those huge clouds, after a while I start feeling a little irritant sensation in my lungs that goes away if I return to consciously doing the shallow inhale. It helps tremendously if I do the shallow inhale and then exhale through the nose periodically. My lungs feel normal unless I abuse them with thick fog.

You might also try to find an atomizer that gives you more vapor if you feel that you aren't getting enough nic. You can also crank the voltage down on a good atomizer to control the levels, but you can't always crank a mediocre atomizer up in voltage to get more. What you get is burnt taste if the atomizer isn't up to it.

Last edited:

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Your cheeks, tongue, and the rest of your mouth will absorb the nic. I try to inhale shallowly and not deeply into the lungs. I've recently started using the Aspire Nautilus tank and it uses cotton wicking that really creates some huge clouds of vapor. If I inhale those huge clouds, after a while I start feeling a little irritant sensation in my lungs that goes away if I return to consciously doing the shallow inhale. It helps tremendously if I do the shallow inhale and then exhale through the nose periodically. My lungs feel normal unless I abuse them with thick fog.

You might also try to find an atomizer that gives you more vapor if you feel that you aren't getting enough nic. You can also crank the voltage down on a good atomizer to control the levels, but you can't always crank a mediocre atomizer up in voltage to get more. What you get is burnt taste if the atomizer isn't up to it.

I've been sitting here experimenting now, I definitely don't deep inhale, I have to actually think about it to do it. I inhale habitually and strictly to the back of the throat, which is exactly how I smoked. So apparently I've always absorbed my nic in that area. Which would explain why I didn't have the heavy coughing and such, I'd just get phlegmy in my throat. Obviously it was still effecting at least my bronchial tubes because that is where all my tightness was in the mornings, or after laughing, running, etc as a smoker. That's gone now.

I use right now an iClear30s and I love it. I have a nautilus and an IBT coming. And I'm ordering a hypertank tomorrow.

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks to vaping I was able to quit but was thinking that it wasn't going to get better.
Looked into what's in e-juice and every thing that's in it is in the food we all eat .
I think it's the money they loose from smoking that's really at the point of the fear .

I agree. There's nicotine in potatoes, eggplants, and green peppers...now most of us don't eat them in large enough quantities to get any effect from it. But what about a vegan or vegetarian?

PG if I remember correctly is used in the nicotrol inhalors by Phizer, also in hospital breathing treatments for pneumonia. VG is a humectant used in lotions, burn creams, it also replaces sugars in low carb/low sugar food products so we're actually using it daily outside of vaping.

Nicotine does pose risks if you have high blood pressure or some other condition in which constriction of blood vessels puts you at risk, but caffeine does that same thing.

That just leaves the flavorings. But let's face it, artificial flavors are in absolutely EVERYTHING we ingest so, as long as our ejuice is manufactured in a clean, safe environment we know what is in there. HOWEVER there are people with severe allergies to some flavorings artificial or natural so we should be aware of that when vaping in a public place where we'd get vapor in someone elses personal space like the doctor's office mentioned in another post, crowded subways, etc. I'd hate for my pleasure to cause someone else pain.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree. There's nicotine in potatoes, eggplants, and green peppers...now most of us don't eat them in large enough quantities to get any effect from it. But what about a vegan or vegetarian?

PG if I remember correctly is used in the nicotrol inhalors by Phizer, also in hospital breathing treatments for pneumonia. VG is a humectant used in lotions, burn creams, it also replaces sugars in low carb/low sugar food products so we're actually using it daily outside of vaping.

Nicotine does pose risks if you have high blood pressure or some other condition in which constriction of blood vessels puts you at risk, but caffeine does that same thing.

That just leaves the flavorings. But let's face it, artificial flavors are in absolutely EVERYTHING we ingest so, as long as our ejuice is manufactured in a clean, safe environment we know what is in there. HOWEVER there are people with severe allergies to some flavorings artificial or natural so we should be aware of that when vaping in a public place where we'd get vapor in someone elses personal space like the doctor's office mentioned in another post, crowded subways, etc. I'd hate for my pleasure to cause someone else pain.

There was a study done in the 1940s where lab monkeys and rats were confined in a PG laced fog environment for two years. The control group breathed normal room air. At the end of two years in the PG fog (concentrations were mentioned but I don't remember) the PG group were healthier in terms of weight and appearance. During dissection of some specimens, the organs were healthier than the control group. We don't know if they experienced lung irritation, but the lungs were reported as healthy and normal.

TESTS FOR THE CHRONIC TOXICITY OF PROPYLEXE GLYCOL AND TRIETHYLENE GLYCOL ON MONKEYS AND RATS BY VAPOR INHALATION AND ORAL ADMINISTRATION

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There was a study done in the 1940s where lab monkeys and rats were confined in a PG laced fog environment for two years. The control group breathed normal room air. At the end of two years in the PG fog (concentrations were mentioned but I don't remember) the PG group were healthier in terms of weight and appearance. During dissection of some specimens, the organs were healthier than the control group. We don't know if they experienced lung irritation, but the lungs were reported as healthy and normal.

TESTS FOR THE CHRONIC TOXICITY OF PROPYLEXE GLYCOL AND TRIETHYLENE GLYCOL ON MONKEYS AND RATS BY VAPOR INHALATION AND ORAL ADMINISTRATION

See I would think it was obvious PG was safe, it's in almost every asthma inhaler, used in hospitals for breathing treatment devices, but I guess it's ok for PHIZER to supply it just not anyone else

Oh hey I have a case of the bitters today. OOps.

birdSmok

Feb 26, 2014
O_HI_O

How True. Big Tabacco is at a loss right now.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
I've dismissed any/all concerns for long term effects of vaping... it was a simple math exercise.

Smoke free and vaping 1 year and a couple of days.

Previously smoked 40 years. Currently mid 50's in age. I know where 40 years of smoking got me... health wise. I can say with great confidence my decision to vape has significantly improved my over-all health.

If I consider just half that time period looking forward to my mid-70's. I anticipate having far more challenges and other impacts of simple aging itself to where vaping will be the least of my concerns. To heck with it... I'm going to kick back and enjoy the rest of the ride of life!!!

Keeno1

Feb 25, 2014
Torquay
I've dismissed any/all concerns for long term effects of vaping... it was a simple math exercise.

Smoke free and vaping 1 year and a couple of days.

Previously smoked 40 years. Currently mid 50's in age. I know where 40 years of smoking got me... health wise. I can say with great confidence my decision to vape has significantly improved my over-all health.

If I consider just half that time period looking forward to my mid-70's. I anticipate having far more challenges and other impacts of simple aging itself to where vaping will be the least of my concerns. To heck with it... I'm going to kick back and enjoy the rest of the ride of life!!!

I agree, i have been smoke free for six months although i probably vape more and spend the same amount of money my geneal health and fitness have improved. I have had a couple of common colds last year and there was none of the chesty issues. And my recovery seemed less drawn out.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
My 58 years 2PAD for the last eight of those wheez, middle of the night hack attack and morning mucous cough left after staring vaping... that's good enough for me. It returned somewhat while lung-inhaling highly flavored juice so I stopped that. I vape the least amount of flavor possible and don't deep lung inhale... I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread