Do you worry? Long term effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That's a great article about The Children(TM) :)

Did you see this? It was posted elsewhere by another member:

Nicotine absorption from electronic cigarette use: comparison between first and new generation devices

Might we infer that if The Children(TM) are getting less nicotine in an hour of experimenting with eCigs than they would if they were playing with Cigarettes for 5 minutes... that the risk to them of getting hooked is nowhere near the hysterics we are seeing? The thing is, by the time The Children(TM) buy and smoke a whole pack of cigarettes... they do get hooked. I don't think it will turn out to be the case with eCigs. Not that I am advocating eCigs for The Children(TM).

As to the On-Topic topic... I'm not especially worried about the long term. I don't feel terribly addicted to vaping to be honest, I pretty much do it because I like it and it's cheaper than nic gum. I may vape less and less over time, but I also know that if I ever feel a slip back to cigarettes coming back, I can just vape myself out of it and not buy that pack of smokes at all.

Now, that's what I've been suspecting for years. I knew that vaping didn't give me that immediate rush of nicotine and it didn't give me the sudden calm or the cold extremity syndrome we sometimes felt with cigarettes. It's a gradual sense of satisfaction rather than a quick hit.

1 hour of vaping didn't produce the nic levels that 5 minutes with a cigarette produced? Sounds about right. I like the comparison that says it's more like using NRT gum or patches.

All that, and you don't get all those dangerous and addictive additives.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The morning hit with head buzz was nice way back when. Now just getting some great flavor and not stinking is great. :vapor:

I was always working on my company's equipment in computer rooms. I'd finally get caught up to the point where I could take a break and walk out to the smoking area. I'd hit two cigarettes hard and walk back to the building with a dizzy buzz and cold fingers. It's a shame that I didn't have an ecig back then. I could have walked over in a corner behind a router rack and stealth vaped a few hits here and there.

Tech9689

Feb 27, 2014
Midland, MI, USA
I do sometimes think about the long term effects of vaping, however I smoked analogs for 13 years and have seen some of the effects of those. I am not in shape by any means but after walking up stairs In my house and having trouble breathing that says something about analogs. I have been vaping with no analogs for only 3 months now and I can run up and down my stairs already with no issues. as far as the reports of people "Inhaling tin" from ecigs - this is probably possible from gas station junk cigalikes, but knowing the mechanics of my vape I don't even see how that's possible. - vaping long term effects cant be nearly as bad as analog effects

birdSmok

Feb 26, 2014
O_HI_O
I was always working on my company's equipment in computer rooms. I'd finally get caught up to the point where I could take a break and walk out to the smoking area. I'd hit two cigarettes hard and walk back to the building with a dizzy buzz and cold fingers. It's a shame that I didn't have an ecig back then. I could have walked over in a corner behind a router rack and stealth vaped a few hits here and there.

I hit it in hospitals, Elevators and restaurants. Sometimes if the grocery store is dead. I hit it there. With a small hit blown down your shirt you can do it almost anywhere. Love It!!!!!!!!!!! :vapor:

CKCalmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
My mancave
Congrats, brannagh, and to everyone else who has left cigarettes behind in favor of vaping!

I've smoked 30 Salem Lights per day for 30 years (since I was 16 years old). That all ended when I found an e-cig solution that I really liked. The day I got it in the mail, I charged a battery and vaped for a few hours. Then, out of curiosity, I lit up one more Salem. Yuk! It tasted utterly horrible to me. That was my last cigarette, and I haven't wanted another one since (45 days and counting).

If I've experienced withdrawals from any of the 4000 or so chemicals in cigarettes other than the nicotine, apparently the memory of how that last one tasted masked their effects well enough that I wasn't aware of it.

I feel confident that e-cigs will prove to be far, far safer than cigarettes. The key factor is that we have extensive knowledge about all of the very few ingredients in most of the e-liquids that we're ingesting. Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin? Humanity has been consuming those for decades, and I don't remember learning of any discovery that they're unhealthy when ingested in moderation. Natural and artificial flavorings that have been approved by the FDA? No problems of which I'm aware. Distilled water? Obviously safe. Some e-liquids have citric acid - a key source of vitamin C, and doesn't pose a health risk. And nicotine? I've read from many sources that it has been tested for the past half century ad-nauseam. To my knowledge, it has never been found to be a carcinogenic, and poses no significant health risk if used in moderation.

Now, a person could be allergic to one or more of these ingredients, of course, which would obviously cause health issues if such a person ingested e-liquids. But for the public at large, I really doubt there will be any ground-shaking discoveries which would shed a negative light on vaping. Other than the stigmas and baseless rumors which are to be expected.

So yeah - vape on!

birdSmok

Feb 26, 2014
O_HI_O
Congrats, brannagh, and to everyone else who has left cigarettes behind in favor of vaping!

I've smoked 30 Salem Lights per day for 30 years (since I was 16 years old). That all ended when I found an e-cig solution that I really liked. The day I got it in the mail, I charged a battery and vaped for a few hours. Then, out of curiosity, I lit up one more Salem. Yuk! It tasted utterly horrible to me. That was my last cigarette, and I haven't wanted another one since (45 days and counting).

If I've experienced withdrawals from any of the 4000 or so chemicals in cigarettes other than the nicotine, apparently the memory of how that last one tasted masked their effects well enough that I wasn't aware of it.

I feel confident that e-cigs will prove to be far, far safer than cigarettes. The key factor is that we have extensive knowledge about all of the very few ingredients in most of the e-liquids that we're ingesting. Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin? Humanity has been consuming those for decades, and I don't remember learning of any discovery that they're unhealthy when ingested in moderation. Natural and artificial flavorings that have been approved by the FDA? No problems of which I'm aware. Distilled water? Obviously safe. Some e-liquids have citric acid - a key source of vitamin C, and doesn't pose a health risk. And nicotine? I've read from many sources that it has been tested for the past half century ad-nauseam. To my knowledge, it has never been found to be a carcinogenic, and poses no significant health risk if used in moderation.

Now, a person could be allergic to one or more of these ingredients, of course, which would obviously cause health issues if such a person ingested e-liquids. But for the public at large, I really doubt there will be any ground-shaking discoveries which would shed a negative light on vaping. Other than the stigmas and baseless rumors which are to be expected.

So yeah - vape on!

Congratulations on 45 days. Very cool! :vapor: Welcome to Vaping. What you said couldn't have been said any better. Someone figured out how to make a dangerous thing harmless. In some areas we get smarter as time goes by. I can't wait to see how this evolves. How it changes over the years. There is so much out there now. What we need now is more Vapor shops. Or tabbaco shops should convert to vapor shops. There customers are going to lesson unless they start carrying ecigs. Question for all. How long before Analogs are gone.

Tri-Nads

Feb 12, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'm with everybody else here. It flat out HAS to be better than cigarettes. But I think that like most other people here, its of little concern. If we were overly concerned about it from the beginning, none of us would have been smoking analogs in the first place. All I know is that my fiancé is super happy with me quitting cigarettes (last November) and that she is totally ok with me vaping in the house and the car... And I don't feel like ..... every morning or cough all day!

timchan

Unregistered Supplier
Feb 24, 2014
HK
www.ecigarettelobby.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I knew that vaping didn't give me that immediate rush of nicotine and it didn't give me the sudden calm or the cold extremity syndrome we sometimes felt with cigarettes.

You mean... my cold hands and feet will get WARM?????

GLORY HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!! I'm so TIRED of having to use the blowdryer on my hands and feet in the winter!!!!!

:banana:
Andria

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Long term effects ? I'm grateful for the opportunity to experience them, whatever they might be ...

At 61, with 46 years of smoking, I was probably not even going to make it to retirement age and still be healthy enough to enjoy it ...

Now I have a good chance to match or exceed my Dad's 100 year life span ... :D

(my paternal grandfather died in his 90s, thrown from a horse ... :?:)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Or tabbaco shops should convert to vapor shops.

That's exactly what happened, with one of the B&M vape shops I visit; he even still has the "Smokeshop" sign sitting in the entryway, but out front it says "Vaping Shack." :D

Andria

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
That's exactly what happened, with one of the B&M vape shops I visit; he even still has the "Smokeshop" sign sitting in the entryway, but out front it says "Vaping Shack." :D

On the flipside, in my community there are 4 "real" vape shops within about a 5 mile stretch of our main drag, one of which is a fly-by-night with cheap knockoffs and crappy juice that will probably not stay around long. The other 3 are quality shops. The problem is that every smoke shop in the area now has big "VAPE" signs outside and there have been complaints from people in the area about how many vape shops are opening up since it looks like they're everywhere. These are people who don't really understand what vaping is and think it's equivalent to smoking so they see it as neighborhood blight (we also have a surplus of dispensaries because our neighboring towns don't allow them so they open here). So between the "VAPE" shops and the green crosses it's starting to look (to them) like we're a hotbed of vice and blight.

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
I don't worry about the nicotine, PG, or VG, but I do worry about the artificial flavorings we're inhaling instead of eating. Overall, vaping is MUCH better than smoking, but the flavors are still kind of suspect in my eyes. Not enough to stop vaping. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about inhalation of the food flavorings mate. When I started I pondered this a bit, but then it occurred to me that unless we have all been holding our breath whist cooking and eating any processed food for all these years, then we have kind of tested this aspect for any danger already. Next time I cook a frozen pizza I'm going to leave the gas mask off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread