• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Do your pets "talk" to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniAnne

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Yep, different sounds. I find it hard to figure out sometimes but the truth is, she can "say" anything she wants, she knows I'll be frantic trying to figure out what she wants until I finally land on it. She's probably sitting there laughing, watching, waiting to see how long it takes me.
LOL! She's got you wrapped around your finger! hehe

I can't tell the difference between my cats meows, but I DO know when they want food, cuz one of them (Lucky) will stand and meow, so I will go by her, and she will get up and go across the room and meow some more, then I will go there, and then she does that all the way to the food bowls in the kitchen. lol

simmi5

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
Escanaba, Michigan, a Yooper!
Baylee definitely talks...a lot. She has her "wake up, mom" voice where she lays near (or on) me, and does a low-pitched cry/whine thing while she shoves her nose in my neck and slaps me. That's adorable, and sometimes I'll pretend I'm still sleeping just so she keeps doing it.

Then she has her louder cry/little barks where she lays under the kitchen table and stairs at me with her tail going a hundred miles an hour to go outside.

And she also has her little tiny barks and whining when she just wants me to pay attention.

From what I understand, cats actually vocalize to humans. That is to say, when they "meow" at you, they are actually talking. They don't do this with other cats...or any other species for that matter. That communication is non-verbal.

Dogs, on the other hand, rely more on non-verbal communication with humans. Sure, there barks are designed to get your attention. But, that's it. Kinda like the way we wave at someone to get their attention. Once they see us and are in earshot, we start talking. Dogs, once they have our attention, use their tail, ear position, eyes, body shape, etc to communicate with us.

I am a firm believer that dogs and cats "talk" to us just like humans do.

I'd tend to agree with you except for Huskies and Malamutes. They have some special abilities.

Boy am I an idiot!!!

I used to have two huskies! You are 100% correct! I forgot all about that.

We used to live on a farm in Wisconsin. Literally out in the middle of nowhere. We were bordered by deep woods on all four sides. Sometimes at night, a lone wolf would wander through the woods. Our huskies would have a full blown conversation with him. It was amazing to watch and listen to.

And yes, they did "talk" to us too.

LadyPhoenix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Easton, PA
ABSOLUTELY! All 3 of my kitties have different vocalizations and for the most part, I know what they are. "I'm hungry", "I want to go outside", "Leave me alone", "I want to come in the bedroom and lay on the comfy bed", "The other cat is eating my food", "Don't rub my belly right now", "I want to play string", "Pet me now".

My alpha cat Sable is the most vocal, he's always yapping about something. He even does this annoyed snort thing, like when a person is annoyed and they exhale sharply through their nose? Like a 'hmmph?' It's hysterical.

Here's something that cracked me up and I hope you find amusing. Talk about 'talking' cats:

YouTube - Cat Betrayed His Girlfriend! Sex! Heat! Rage! Foul language! (ORIGINAL ENGLISH CAPTIONS)

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
One of my dogs has the most incredible vocal range I've ever heard. Sometimes when my hubby and I are talking, and he wants our attention, he will chime right in to the conversation! His timing is perfect too! Its as if he can understand us, and wants to put in his two cents!:laugh: He does it with such a deep vocalization its like listening to a bass singer! On the other end, he whines to go out with such a high pitched voice, I can't even reach it vocally! And when he barks in the house, it actually vibrates the window glass! He's a .... hound mix, and I'm thinking that may be common to the breed. He has that baying sound to his voice.
Also, my mini Dacshund has a very healthy set of lungs! He is almost as loud as the other dogs!:)

PuffinStuff

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
Washington State
My dogs talk to me for sure! Amy, my Jack Russell, has several different "voices" . I can tell by her bark if she wants outside, needs a cookie, etc. She is obsessive about her yellow ball and has special bark for it. Amy has a special talent, she can count by barking. She can count to 7 now. I say the number, she barks that many times. She loves to entertain my grandchildren and counting is her most requsted trick.

I adopted Rascal, my yorkie, last year, she is 8 years old. Her people parents passed away and when I got her she was mourning. It took me a long time to understand her special language. It was so obvious to me that her "voices" were understood by another and she was perplexed that I didnt understand. It took me a few weeks but now we communicate perfectly.

I believe that pets are very perceptive, and much more intelligent than they are given credit for. I was forced to take an early retirement due to health issues and my dogs comfort me when I have a bad day, they instinctively know. I feel so blessed to have them.

Last edited:

mischief

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
St Augustine, FL, USA
ABSOLUTELY! All 3 of my kitties have different vocalizations and for the most part, I know what they are. "I'm hungry", "I want to go outside", "Leave me alone", "I want to come in the bedroom and lay on the comfy bed", "The other cat is eating my food", "Don't rub my belly right now", "I want to play string", "Pet me now".

My alpha cat Sable is the most vocal, he's always yapping about something. He even does this annoyed snort thing, like when a person is annoyed and they exhale sharply through their nose? Like a 'hmmph?' It's hysterical.

Here's something that cracked me up and I hope you find amusing. Talk about 'talking' cats:

YouTube - Cat Betrayed His Girlfriend! Sex! Heat! Rage! Foul language! \\\\(ORIGINAL ENGLISH CAPTIONS)

OMG that's so funny, so believable. Thanks, Lady. I can't tell if they're going to fight or make love. I heard a joke once: Noah gathered all the animal pairs on the Ark and told them there was to be no hanky-panky, because the Ark wasn't roomy enough for baby animals. The cat couple felt frisky however, and decided to pretend fight to cover their amorous doings. It worked then, and has worked every since.

Chiqa

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Idaho
My cat almost never says a word with his voice, he prefers to use non verbal signals,, such as first getting very sweet and lovey to get dinner, if that doesn't work he ever so gently stretches while sinking his claws into my calf just a little bit. By then he has my attention. My German Shepherd is extremely vocal, about everything and she really doe argue with me . My little old guy mostly barks at squirrels or whines when he wants to get out of the kayak, eat your food, or wants to go for a kayak ride, He has a very high pitched bark that makes us cringe when he uses it.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
All the time and sometimes it's six or earlier, in the morning!!!

--------------------------------------------
Indiana or Georgia?? Act NOW!!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...live-indiana-georgia-act-now.html#post1685232
--------------------------------------------
Consider me your recycling center for Njoy Pro, Smoking Everywhere Gold, Cloud 9, Smoke 51 Trio, and DSE103 useless batteries.
Other hardware if it’s still usable.
Those I loan out to/give to thank you.
----------------------------------------------
Support CASAA
CASAA | The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association
Don’t forget to donate to IVAQS research
CASAA.org

:thumbs: check out the adoptable pet on the month at Pet Forum (link below)

Last edited:

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
My dog does all the time... well not so much to me.

This one time my dog got into this heated debate with my DVR about a woodchipper vs. a boiler for evidence control. This went on for hours, I eventually got so sick of listening to them that I was forced to shave my head, make a rubber-glove bikini and burn down my house.

JeremiahAG84

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
Gatlinburg, TN
My cat Odin and I have conversations when my partner isn't home. For some reason Odin doesn't talk to him as much as he talks to me. He's got special greetings for me when I come home ranging from "where did you go?", "what took so long?" to "what did you get me?" and "Why didn't you say goodbye when you left?" I think I spoil him though, since I work from home, I'm here all day so he always has someone to talk to.

Stlphilo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
St. Louis, MO
My 125lb baby talks all the time.. I can talk to him and he knows what I am saying and he has different responces to different questions. I also have trained him not to take treats from Obama so if I ask him if he wants a treat from Obama he runs off and then turns around and yells at me lol. He has also scared the Sh@$ out of many UPS delivery men/women delivering my many Juice purchases LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread