Does 100% VG cause/help/worsen Vaper's Tongue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MemeNPop

Sep 24, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi Everbody,
I will try to make this breif. I am a relatively new vaper and I am posting this here because I have been reading all of the VV threads and this seems like a tight knit and helpful family of Vapers.

I have been vaping on and off for about 3 weeks. My daughter sent me an EVOD starter kit she purchased at her local shop and a small bottle of liquid. The first puff tasted heavenly but made me have a horrible coughing fit. It was a cinnamon/caramel 50/50 24mg. I tried it 2-3 times and it was unvapable for me but tasty.

So I went to my local store and tried several flavors but had trouble tasting all of them except their version of cinnamon. Again tasted good but made me cough 70/30 bought a bottle of 12mg. Still the coughing.

Went to a different store and the girl showed me how to vape with a different inhale technique than used for smoking. This helped some with the coughing. Bought a small bottle of cherry pomagranate in 6mg. And picked up 7 tiny free samples of different flavors in 0mg. 20/80 PG/VG

The positive is I figured out that I need about 9mg to keep the cravings away. The negative is that with all of the flavors I have, I am having to mix them with the higher mg cinnamons to get the right strength nic. And now the cinnamons taste nasty and I can't taste any of the other flavors at all, either mixed or by themselves.

Before I found VV I ordered a sample pack of 20/80 12mg flavors from another seller that seems highly rated on the ECF. I received them a few days ago and they smell heavenly but I can't taste them. I purchased a drip atomizer to try the new flavors so I know its not just my EVOD. I even replaced the coil in it just to be sure.

I have also ordered 2 different samplers from VV that are on their way but I am afraid I won't be able to taste them either. And I know from all of my reading that Annette will customize future orders for me if needed but I don't know how to get past the not tasting problem I am having now.

I am drinking extra, brushing extra, and have tried some of the other random suggestions without success.

I almost feel like I just need to stop vaping and let my mouth get back to normal but to do that I would have to smoke.

Does the 100% VG help with this at all? make it worse? no effect?

Sorry this turned into a book. And thank you in advance for any insight.

Carrie

P.S. Kitty if you are in Charlotte, Why can't we get VV juice locally yet? :)

Angiebubs

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
Amery, WI
It may be that your taste buds are still recovering if you recently stopped smoking. However, I went through a stage where I felt like I wasn't tasting the flavor as well, (I haven't smoked in 1.5 yrs) and I am thinking it was this so-called Vapor Tongue. It lasted for about 2 weeks. The one thing I read somewhere that made alot of sense to me was-some people believe vapor tongue is linked to getting some of the juice on your tongue. I had recently had problems with leaking clearo. I haven't had the issue since. One of VVs flavors that helped me through that time and is one of my top favorites to boot is: Butter Cream Mint Good luck!!

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
Hi Carrie!

I have a few suggestions for you that might help.

First of all, you should just know that when you first switch to vaping after smoking regular cigarettes, your taste buds may be a bit out of whack. If you've ever quit smoking before, you may have noticed your sense of taste and smell suddenly get much more acute and you enjoy tasting and smelling things like never before. The same will happen as you transition over to vaping. Your taste buds may be a bit burnt out at first, but they will come back! So don't worry if you need really strong flavors at first (at Virgin Vapor, just leave me a note asking for extra flavor and I can even do more than that if you need it at first, especially in the Absolute line as the flavors are so concentrated). Stick with it and, the longer you stay away from regular cigarettes, the more sensitive your sense of taste will become.

Another thing to note is that cinnamon flavors can tend to burn your taste buds out as they are so overpowering. Some customers find cinnamon flavors irritate their lungs so the flavor could also be contributing to your coughing reaction. If cinnamon is the only flavor that does it for you and it gets you off regular cigarettes, stick with it but you may want to try some other flavors with extra flavoring added as well.

Best of luck making the transition to vaping and let me know if I can help in any way!

MemeNPop

Sep 24, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thank you all for the replies. :)

I believe that all of the cinnamon is only contributing to not being able to taste less intense flavors. :p So I have purchased another couple of bottles of the cherry pomegranate. 1 6mg and 1 12mg so I can get the right nic strength for me. And I am going to stick with that for a while and hope the lack of cinnamon helps the taste buds heal more quickly.

Quite honestly I have only been completely analog free for 2 days now. I have been having 2 a day since I started vaping. (morning and evening) so I am still pretty proud about that. I was a PAD smoker for almost 30 years.

I am so excited to try the VV juices I ordered. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. But I am afraid I won't be able to taste them to tell which ones I like.

And I am going to be so disappointed if I can't experience them the way everyone else does because I have read through the entire old Vapor Virgin thread, all 264 pages, and through all of this subforum except the Good morning thread. And let me say I have Mighty High Expectations for the VV juices. :)

kittypie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Charlotte NC
P.S. Kitty if you are in Charlotte, Why can't we get VV juice locally yet? :)

I'll ask Annette if I can put a Virgin Vapor shingle out in my front yard. I live in the Elizabeth area and my neighborhood has heavy pedestrian traffic. I could set up a vape stand instead of a lemonade stand. :D

Ya know, maybe we (VV) should look into introducing our wares to some of the smoke shops in town. Hmmmmm...

Congrats on cutting down so much! Just keep enjoying your vape, and cutting back at a rate that's comfortable for you. A lot of people mix vaping and smoking, and most seem to eventually quit smoking entirely, a few still have to have a couple of day, and I don't think there's any shame in that at all! :)

Last edited:

MemeNPop

Sep 24, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thank you both!

Kittypie let me know when you get that stand set up. Maybe you could start with the Sweet Summer Lemonade flavor and still call it a lemonade stand. ;) Except we are almost past that time of year.

I don't know where the Elizabeth area is but I could find it if you hang out a shingle. I kind of like having real people who vape to talk to about these issues. I am just outside of Belmont and there is nowhere really near me to shop. I have been to both of the 2 differently named stores in the Charlotte area. But I don't like the juices, I can't taste em and they only have like 6 100% VG flavors.

When my daughter sent me my starter kit in the mail, I had never even seen an e-cig before. And I had no clue how to even put the juice in. (I just unscrewed the tank from the battery and tried to put it in the little hole. I didn't know to take the bottom off of the tank) I even had to go to a store just to find out how to inhale it. But I am learning all I can as fast as I can and hopefully it will be tasty and enjoyable soon. I think if I could taste the juices I could get rid of the nicotine pretty quickly because the first few days of tasting the juice left me craving the taste more than the kick even with the coughing.

By the way, I applaud your loyalty, Kittypie. You have been advocating for VV juices for a long time. I hope I feel that way about them too.

Here's hoping I wake up tasting tomorrow...

SunshyneGurl

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2012
Florida
Just a suggestion... pick up some CloSYS toothpaste and especially the mouthwash from Walgreens. I did some research when I was having heavily bleeding gums (from vaping) and discovered this product. Amazing! It helped within two days and i haven't had a problem since... it's also helped to keep my flavors like they're supposed to taste. Just make sure NOT to add the sm flavoring bottle to the mouthwash (it has pg and a highly concentrated peppermint oil in it - will ruin the true taste of our VV juices). It's worth a try... you really have to appreciate how incredible VV juices are!!

Annette's juices are so tasty you'll seriously wonder why you smoked the stinkies for so long when you could be vaping so many delicious, high quality flavors instead. It sounds like you're ready!

I think you'll find some amazing Virgin Vapor flavors you love other than (or in addition to) cinnamon .... and have lots of fun trying them! When i first quit, i thought i'd have to vape mint or menthol flavors cuz i smoked menthols and instantly realized it wasn't the menthol i craved... it was nicotine. I quickly discovered amazing flavors that i still love as my all day vapes, and surprisingly hate anything mint or menthol! If you love fruit... try some fruit flavors, if you love coffee... try the coffee flavors etc! Try juices based on the foods, desserts, drinks that you actually like or have always wanted to try. The sample packs make it really easy to sample a good variety till you discover what works for you. Also keep in mind that most juice flavors improve and intensify in flavor after some steeping time which varies with each flavor, although lots are great right outta the mail!

Good luck and congrats!

Love to hear if you try the CloSYS and it helps you!

jistjul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
First - kudos! I feel like we are around the same age with around the same smoking habits. I quit entirely when I transitioned over to vaping, but many people I know have done it the way you are. We are all different and what ever works is what is best! So, vapers tongue. Real thing. I had it about 6 weeks into vaping. I was so sad. I literally know exactly how you feel. And my sense of taste did come back on its own, and I am a blissful vaper. So hang in there, maybe smoke stuff you ordered and found you don't like much. But sounds like you have a vendor who will help you out a bit too, so you're in good shape.

MemeNPop

Sep 24, 2013
Charlotte, NC
jistjul thanks for the support. It was my intention to quit entirely when I started vaping also but when my taster went on the fritz I just couldn't do it. I was only about 1 week in and still trying to find the right nic level when this happened.

Vaping without taste is like carrying around a drinking straw and taking a pew puffs of air through it every now and then and expecting that to be satisfying somehow.

I know I am still getting the nicotine that way but it just feels pointless.

Yesterday evening I could taste my vape for about 3 hours. It was lovely. But today I am back to no taste. ugh!

MemeNPop

Sep 24, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Kittypie,
The one I could taste was a cherry pomegranate I got at the local shop but it is the same thing I have been vaping all week. It was really random and only lasted a few hours.

I am trying to use up the stuff I already had before I ordered yummies but that isn't working really well because I have a caramel that gunks up my coil after just a few puffs. I don't know what is wrong with that stuff. I want to throw it away but I hate wasting stuff. (OCD)

I have several small 0 nic samples of not very good flavors but I would have to mix them with something containing cinnamon to give them nicotine. And I am trying to avoid the cinnamon.

And I have the cherry pom which I bought just for the reasons above. It is what I have been vaping waiting on the taste to come back. But I am almost out of it.

I had to take a trip out of town so I may see what vape shops are around where I am and get another flavor.

I was hoping I would receive the Butter Cream Mint before I left but I didn't. I'm still stalking the E-Mail man.

SouthernLady1

Feb 28, 2013
Ms.
Butter creme mint was the first flavor I loved after the strong menthol, then the 'vapers tongue' set in again. The holiday chai is what I clung to during those days. I could still taste it some during the worse days, I loved it! You might try that if you still have no taste, but only if you enjoy chia and spices. I think it has a bit of cinnamon and maybe nutmeg. It's been too long for me to remember.

Good luck, this too will pass eventually. :2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread