Does a Provari 2.5 make sense in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netop

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Providence, RI
I have:
  • istick 30w
  • istick Mini (nautilus mini use only)
  • Aspire CF Sub O
  • Aspire ESP 30w (had a problem with the 510, so currently Out of Service, but the vendor is replacing it, so it will be back in my arsenal, soon.)
  • Kamry k100 (not using outside of the house until I get a better battery and charger for it)
On top of those I use:
  • Lemo Drop (usually built to either .8 or 1.8O)
  • Kanger SubTank Mini (either built to about .8 or 1.2ish)
  • Atlantis
  • A pair of Naut Minis with standard 1.8 coils
  • A couple of RDAs (Vulcan Clone Omertà clone and a Lancia clone)

I am vaping for two months now. I rarely break 20 watts. I don't use the Atlantis much anymore. I only drip at home. I love the Naut Mini and the SubTank Mini both. The Naut Mini tastes great and is user friendly. The SubTank (and the Lemo drop let me use NETs and other coil hating juice without burning through pre made coils.

I seem to be settling into two modes of vaping:
  • Sipping on Flavor (Naut Mini around 10w or RTA above 1.2 at 12-15w) - this is my session vaping: at home, working, hanging outside in nice weather at the bar, waiting for someone for a few minutes, etc
  • Chugging juice - (1.2 or below at 15w) - this is my "Vape Break" when I want a bigger hit - walking to the train, having to go outside in less than nice weather, or any other time I am really using it as a mic delivery system.

My daily gear is sub tank mini and naut mini with my iStick30w and one backup (ESP, CF, or mini). And of course and extra naut mini with an alternate flavor, maybe the Lemo drop if my Kanger build is getting a bit stale or has been giving me trouble and a bit of juice - and a charger.

With the nicer weather coming up, I'm going to have less pockets available. I still feel the need for redundancy (ESP failed - if the same happened with the iStick, i would be stuck limping home on my mini (with no sub tank) or my CF (if I had enough pocket room to take it in the first place).

So…I need one of two things:
A small second device that can deliver a decent 10-15w experience and can handle a .8 or .9 ohm build on an RTA.
or
A device that renders the need to carry a backup obsolete.

I've been looking at four different options:
  • eGrip - 20w ceiling handle 95% of my vaping. It's small, small,small. Can't venture below 1ohm on its RBA deck, but most of the time i would probably enjoy the ease of the pre built coils at 1.5 on the RBA deck anyway (save tinkering for other things)
  • ego One - small small small small - a great second device that would probably be used for my Vape Break style vapinf, leaving me with Naut Minis and the Subtank built to higher ohms. Can't see it being my only device.
  • Mech Mod - that 3.7v handles much of my use, but a bit imperfectly. My Naut Mini fires a little lame, but my 1.2 stock OCC coils enjoy as do most of my builds. I would probably go for a small one if I were to go this path. Thought is, one mod, spare battery (in a case, of course) takes up less room than two mods with circuit boards and displays. And they don't break.
  • Provari 2.5 (Mini with extension tube for flexibility) - Does this bit of gear even make sense anymore? They are reliable and durable, but are they "no need to carry a back-up" dependable? Also, do they really deliver a better vape? Is 12w from a Provari better than 12w from an iStick? Part of me kinda sorta wants to be talked into it, and the other part of me wants to be talked out of it. If it's the thing to make me leave everything else at home, then I can justify the expense, but if it's not going to be a better Vape, I'd rather avoid the disappointment. I've read several threads, heard the testimony from Provari converts as well as the arguments from those that claim you can do just as well or better for less money.

I've included my vaping habits and can't stress enough my need for a reliable nicotine delivery system that also delivers great taste.

So...fan-boys, haters, and anyone else that knows this gear and understands where I'm vaping… come on by and give me your :2c:. Thanks in advance.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
In spite of the fact that I have a 'beater' MVP just for work situations I find that I'm taking the Provari with me to the job-sites more and more.
Once I got past the fear of putting it in harm's way on a daily basis I found out just how deep it's beauty goes. Quite simply, it puts a smile on my face similar to the other quality 'tools' that I have.

dripgoestheclark

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Rhode Island
I own a Provari 2.5 and it is a no-worry kind of device. Mine has been going strong for 11 months so far with no signs of aging. However, it doesn't beat in terms of power or features some of your other choices. I love mine for what it is but you would basically be buying a rock solid device, fuss-free, and the looks and style of it, along with the excellent customer service and warranty. I use mine every day at work but I prefer something with more power for all other occasions.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Provari 2.5 (Mini with extension tube for flexibility) - Does this bit of gear even make sense anymore? They are reliable and durable, but are they "no need to carry a back-up" dependable? Also, do they really deliver a better vape? Is 12w from a Provari better than 12w from an iStick? Part of me kinda sorta wants to be talked into it, and the other part of me wants to be talked out of it. If it's the thing to make me leave everything else at home, then I can justify the expense, but if it's not going to be a better Vape, I'd rather avoid the disappointment. I've read several threads, heard the testimony from Provari converts as well as the arguments from those that claim you can do just as well or better for less money.

maybe get verified, then head over to the classies and buy a used Provari ... one just sold for $70, shipped with batteries and charger.

I bought my first used one there, and it still works exactly the same as my brand new Provaris.

They are built to last a very long time ... and for me personally, they are the end of my search for the perfect vape.

however, I am also only looking for something to replce smoking ... something that is better than smoking could ever be.

cheers

5Provaris.jpg

mmsjs5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Illinois
There are a lot of Provari Mini's on this page, Specials of the week, ranging from $110 to $130. Well within reason for what you get. My first one is still going strong. I do like to take an extra battery and a small bottle of liquid with me to work, in a battery case, because I never know when I'll be working overtime. I use a Nautilus Mini with a 1.8 coil at 5 V and vape about 4 or 5ml of 24ish mg liquid per day. The 18350 battery lasts me my whole work day plus. The Nautilus on a Provari Mini is much smoother than on my 20W iStick.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
In spite of the fact that I have a 'beater' MVP just for work situations I find that I'm taking the Provari with me to the job-sites more and more.
Once I got past the fear of putting it in harm's way on a daily basis I found out just how deep it's beauty goes. Quite simply, it puts a smile on my face similar to the other quality 'tools' that I have.

Thats funny, i actually have a 2.0 in the toolbox just in case. Been there over a year, don't actually use ot anymore but i feel safe knowing its still around, once in a while i take ot out and , yup fires right up it has been on job sites from one end of fla to the other. And it has mercilessly been abused, knocked over, fell out a window, falling out of my pouch constantly digging for stuff etc. Just cant kill it

It always amused me how people buy the toughest mod made and then are afraid to take it out of the house.

Netop

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Providence, RI
Thanks everyone for the input… but,

I use a Nautilus Mini with a 1.8 coil at 5 V and vape about 4 or 5ml of 24ish mg liquid per day. The 18350 battery lasts me my whole work day plus. The Nautilus on a Provari Mini is much smoother than on my 20W iStick.

Is there any reason why a provari provides a better vape? Is it a better power management or something?

mmsjs5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Illinois
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread