Does anyone else feel taken advantage of? And not in a good way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billfirth3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
Frisco, TX
While I agree that a lot of "premium" e-juice places are making a killing on e-juice that doesn't cost very much to produce, I think they will have to adapt with the marketplace.

I still vape out of my KFL, and go through about 3-4 ml of juice a day. I think the standard today is to drop the nic level to 3 or 6mg, and go with more cloud based subohm tanks. My Kanger Subtank killed juice (and battery) quickly while I was briefly trying it out, but I didn't like the flavor and the 12mg nicotine would give me a headache with that much vapor.

The $22 30ml bottle of premium juice may have had a larger market when the industry standard was clearos like Vivi Novas, Protanks, etc., but I think they will need to adjust their pricing over time as the industry changes. If people are going through 10ml+ of juice per day, they will look for alternatives to save them money.

I, like many, will never DIY, so I will continue to look for good, budget priced e-juice vendors and go with the best value for me. My ADV from ITC only costs $19.99 for 120ml, and $35.99 for 240ml and lasts me a good 4-5 months.

I'm looking to switch it up this month, so I just ordered three 120ml bottles of Casey Jones Mainline Reserve for $75 shipped. A little pricier, but nowhere near what some of these places charge.

Again, I think some of these places will adapt their pricing, or they won't be able to stay in business. It's like food places that sell soda for $2 a cup when it costs 5 cents to make the soda, and another few pennies for the cup. Still plenty of profit to be made there, even if they sold it for $1 instead of $2. Ever notice that employees are usually required to ask "anything to drink?"

All these vendors material costs are probably about the same, so you know any place could do 120ml for $19.99 and make a profit if they wanted to. The main difference is that these premium vendors usually have nice glass bottles and have holding costs for having them pre-steep for a month. Still not worth the price difference IMO.

If some of these places (Five Pawns for one) want to keep their prices high, I think they may be able to survive as a niche, special occasion flavor, but the days of 30ml for $30 as an ADV are going to be gone.
Greatly said, couldn't agree more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidAmonettNashville

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Nashville,Tn
diy-or-die.jpg

Reactions: Rossum

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I was just thinking about it to start discussion, but do others not find it ridiculous that juice companies charge 18-22$ and sometimes more for premium juice. ...

I Don't think it is Ridiculous at all.

I think in an Market where there is Natural Competition, a seller can set Any Price they want for a Product. And it is up to the Consumer to decide what is the Price they are willing to pay.

If a Company can make Profits selling its e-Liquids at 18 ~ 22$, that Great. And who knows? It might be the Best e-Liquid out there to some Vapers.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Absolutely!

Imo , if people have issues with juice prices the last thing one should choose is switching to a method of vaping that is known to drink much more juice .

If i had problems with gas prices i probably would have skipped the muscle cars i chose to drive , it's part of the territory .

Problem is many don't realize certain types of vaping is going to dramatically increase your juice cost since you will be buying a lot more of it .

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I have been toying with the idea of DIY'ing for a while now and I doubt I will be placing an order today but the spark has been ignited again even though I have a good B&M locally and a guy who always gives me deals. I bought my MOD from him at teh same price as the Kit online but he upgraded me to the TC40W for the same price as the TC30W. :w00t:

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
25% of flavored to 75% unflavored and it still preserved the flavor? I would think it would be very weak diluted that much? Did you start with a very strong flavor?
My usual DIY uses 1% flavor and I can taste it. The sense of taste will sensitize and amplify when pushed to do that. Experiment. Start with a small batch of 50/50. If that works try more dilution. But I'd go straight to 25/75 because it will probably work. The last time I tried regular commercial e liquid it was over powering. In the long run 95% of e liquid will be made at home for personal use.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
I was perfectly content paying $23.00 a bottle for Cuttwood that lasted a week to 10 days when I was rocking a 1.6 ohm coil in my Nautilus Mini @ 7 watts. So I have no problem paying the same price now that I'm using the same bottle in 2 days now that i'm sub ohm'ing at .4 @ 45 watts.

I am DIY'ing now so it doesn't matter, but since I am still learning my recipes I am still buying juice, good thing I know where to get Cuttwood 120 ml's for $44.00 :cool:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
d818a6d913754f2e2183053ec2cb02e8.jpg

When will the liquid market get with the program and listen to consumers. I'm sure everyone would like cheaper liquid.
In all fairness, they do need to pay those Awesome Graphic Artists. :)

DIY has really opened my eyes. If I can make a perfect clone of Unicorn Milk with 75 cents worth of flavoring. nic and VG, then what does the "Premium" in premium eliquid even mean? It's gotta be the label, no? Well, along with the obligatory pharma grade mixing facility.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Last edited:
    Reactions: billfirth3

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 5, 2013
    Juice vendors are of course taking advantage of vapers. They know what we paid to smoke, and they want that money too. Given the chance they will make vaping every bit as expensive as smoking. Juice is a huge repeat business and they are going to exploit that. Back when I started I was paying $80 a week and more for juice from a local B&M and being mistreated by a nasty employee there to boot. The last time I bought juice there was when he put the stuff they dump out into my bottle.

I launched into DIY with great energy. Today I would never think of buying anyone else's juice. I know what's in mine, I don't know what's in theirs, mine is better than anything I ever got from them, and mine costs me a small fraction of what I paid those people.

billfirth3

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Frisco, TX
    If you don't want to keep high concentrate nicotine around, ecigexpress has vg/pg/nic already mixed low. It's not as cheap as bulk, but might be an option.
    I'm actually talking with my wife may just keep it in the gun safe. I have a friend that does DIY and I know 100mg/ml goes a long way and will last a while especially at 3mg that I use.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread