Does anyone else having trouble breaking even?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, just a bit of a frivolous comment, but as I am an uncurable spreadsheet nerd I thought I'd try to forecast when I'd break even after vaping after seeing all the inpressive banners.... Oh dear - shouldn't have done that! I live in acountru where cigs are extremely cheap - they were just hiked up to USD 4 per pack. I spent a good 7-8 months tinkering and didnt quite commit to vaping, but bought USD 1,500worth of gear, juices etc (including a faulty ego one and a provari which is mostly relegated as a back-up to my i-stick, sorty, don't see what the fuzz is all about). Now that I have switched 100pct (22 days yay!) I find that the one thing that really sustains me is my Kentucky Premium blend. At 4-5 ml a day that's a wopping 65USD per month. Factoring in atomizers, some diy flavours and some smallish buys as well as the KBP it will be around Mid-2017 before I break even - and that's for a 1-2 pack a day habit. Arghhh. I really wanted the subox mini!! Anyways - just sharing. I guess the good bit is that I am in so deep now that going back to analogues would make all the investment worthless. (And just to lighten up - I am a runner and am now seeing massive improvements in both pace and distance I can run, so truly seeing the benefits!).

Does anyone else feel that the economics just aren't as rosy as they had thought?

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Nope I am saving money hand over fist versus smoking, then again I never did catch the shinyitis bug. My biggest expense is the pre-made juice I love but I cut it at 1/4 strength with unflavored to further increase my savings. I know I will probably catch some flack for this but I never did understand why you need 20 mods and atties with only one mouth and set of lungs. Yes I have heard all the reasons multiple flavors, you enjoy it, etc. I'm just saying for me and how I vape it's not worth it.

Nope I am saving money hand over fist versus smoking, then again I never did catch the shinyitis bug. My biggest expense is the pre-made juice I love but I cut it at 1/4 strength with unflavored to further increase my savings. I know I will probably catch some flack for this but I never did understand why you need 20 mods and atties with only one mouth and set of lungs. Yes I have heard all the reasons multiple flavors, you enjoy it, etc. I'm just saying for me and how I vape it's not worth it.
Yes, shinytitis is a beast and no flag - you are 100pct right. But then I guess if I hadn't tinkered I might not have found the right set-up. Oh well.... I tried the cutting thing but really makes my KPB less effective to me. I reckon I'll feel better when movibg to the UK with £10 packs next year (although the spreadsheet accounts for that too!)

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
The biggest expense for most of us in the first year or so is finding the right setup and that usually means lots and lots of spending! :lol:

But, once you've found what you like, the cost plummets drastically. Nowadays, apart from consumables (VG, PG, nic, wire, cotton, etc), I'm hard pressed to find anything I really need. (though, I have just bought my second mech mod ;))

Having said that, whatever the financial cost, the health benefits from vaping far outweigh the cost of smoking. :)

catsitter

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2014
Massapequa Park, NY, USA
I figure I've saved around $10,000 so far but I've been lucky - first, cigarettes are way expensive here ($10 or so a pack, 2.5 packs a day...) and second, all the hardware I've bought so far is still in use, even if only as back-ups (except for a couple of Protanks that I outgrew the moment I found Nautiluses, but I still have the just in case...) and I did drop a bunch on setting up my little "home lab" for DIY. I recently went overseas and took my Egos (my first e-cigs) rather than risk anything happening with my newer sub-ohm stuff, and I still carry one of them around regularly as a backup.

joeybear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
Mounted on the wall is my obsession, beyond everyone. Now that I have way too much stuff, I'm saving money :)

Attachments

• beerfest.jpg
    beerfest.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 117

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
For the first 6 months I spent the same as I would have on smoking. I decided early on that when I found a setup that was good enough I would stay with.

I have backups for my backups for my backups.

Vaping is costing me about $50 per month using store bought juice and buying coils. I am building inventory right now and plan a $100 per month budget after I buy some nic and set myself up for DIY which I figure will cost about $500.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I've been vaping for 16 months and I've never NOT broken even for a month. I started DIYing 6 months ago and now I spend a weeks worth of cig cost every 2 months. I try to reward myself every couple of months with a new piece of gear. Still saving a couple hundred bucks a month at least.

cllmda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I didnt want to know ...so Ive never really calculated ;) !!!!

I suspect - I KNOW- that Im spending alot more right now on vaping than I ever did on cigs, despite a 30+ a day habit of Marlb Reds...

BUT....

This is ENTIRELY my fault !

Dont have too many cash probs right now so have spent alot trying out various premium eliquids that caught my eye....

+when I "like" something new, I buy it....

+if it's good Ill buy it in another -or even several- colors.... ;)

Didnt have to buy myself a Provari this summer for my Bday...or buy a second one last month coz I liked the first one so much!

Have also been stocking up for "survivalist" gear in view of the forthcoming EURO Regs coming into effect here by next May (at the latest) .

However, as I said, all this spending is entirely MY FAULT, I could easily do with a couple of Isticks and a few Mini Nautilus'..

I could lower my expenses to a pack of Nautilus coils a month+ less expensive juice and spend PRACTICALLY NOTHING!

= a 5 pack of coils from FT = 8$ + a 30ml bottle of juice a week....

If needed, I could even DIY my own juice, which I 've done before in "harder "times, and that would reduce eliquid expenses to practically nothing(and to be honest it was no big deal, I was perfectly content "vaping-on -a low-budget" too!).

So the answer is YES, if you WANT/NEED to you can vape at minimal cost...probably what you spent on one week's worth of cigs....or you can spend lots....it's up to YOU !!!!

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
You spent 1,500.00 in 8 months.. :eek:

In my first year 2009-2010 I spent 150$ US vs. 2,500$ US I would have spent on smokes. (7$ a pack)

I started to DIY my own eliquid in early 2010.
$1500 in 8 months? Amateur. ;)

I don't even know when my break-even date will be, the last time I bothered to check, it would have been some time in September of this year, but, as I've posted before, although my rate of device acquisition has slowed, I go for more expensive things now.

However, I'm pretty sure I spent somewhere north of $30,000 on cigarettes. Every dollar I spend to keep me OFF cigarettes is a dollar in the win column as far as I'm concerned.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Two years+ vaping and I'm in the black by quite a bit. I have back ups for my back ups and DIY. I have enough nic in the freezer to keep me going for awhile. Cigarettes were going up to $8/pack when I started vaping ($10 now) but at $8 I would have spent $6,250+ on cigarettes. I haven't spent close to that on vaping. I don't need much now so each month I add more to the saved column. Sweet.

Reactions: David Wolf

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
You spent 1,500.00 in 8 months.. :eek:

In my first year 2009-2010 I spent 150$ US vs. 2,500$ US I would have spent on smokes. (7$ a pack)

I started to DIY my own eliquid in early 2010.
In the last two years we have spent $1000+ on mods and rda's, I make our juice, so let's say $200 in DIY. We were spending almost $20/day for cigs. So we are saving money. Vaping beats $4000/year on cigs ;)

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I kinda blew it.

Found my sweet spot with a couple cheap mods and two clone tanks.

Then thought I needed a Provari.

And authentic tanks.

And TC

Through it all I used the cheap clone tanks and mods.

The SX Mini was a good buy. That money I don't regret but everything else is being sold or given away.

Clone tanks rule.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    it just takes time is all. Much of vapings expense is "up front". @ 2 years I was "kinda" even. The third year I didn't spend a single cent. The 4th year I had to replace some well used batteries, and bought a couple of things that were on sale. At this point I will never have to buy anything ... ever ... unless I want to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread