Does anyone mix up unflavored nic juice to add flavorings to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Been on my mind for a few weeks now, and I don't know what the appropriate terminology would be, but I've been tinkering with the idea of pre-mixing nicotine to my desired end strength, and simply adding flavoring to that... in a nutshell. Why? Time & Convenience. So when I'm mixing a juice, all I have to add is the nicotine juice and flavorings without the added measuring and addition of PG and VG and using/washing more syringes.

There's a complication with this, and that's that different recipes will have different amounts of flavorings added diluting the nicotine content. I generally vape at 12mg, so my thought is to simply mix a slightly higher level to compensate and simply accept that different juices may differ by up to 3mg in strength.

Crunching some numbers, if I had a 50/50 pg/vg juice @ 15mg nicotine strength. I don't think I have any juices in my recipe book that uses more than 20% total flavorings, so if I happened to be using 20% total flavorings, it would give me a clean 12mg juice in the end. If I only have 5% flavorings it would be at 14.25mg.

5% to 20% is my typical range of flavorings, with the majority falling around 10%, perhaps having a 14mg juice off the start might be a good compromise (14mg @10% = 12.6mg) and just accept that there can be a 2.25mg variation between my juices.

Does anyone do anything like this that might shed their thoughts/experience? I've got over a hundred vials of flavorings, never enough empty bottles, rarely mix a larger 30ml or higher batch of anything, and am so sick of having go measuring nic, pg, and vg every time I feel an itch to make some juices. Seems like this would be an ideal compromise in the interest of labor & time invested, especially if I'm mixing multiple juices. It's not uncommon for me to mix up to 8 experimental batches at a time, and having a pre-diluted unflavored juice for such a scenerio means 16 less measurements to make which is significant.

FStopFive

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2013
Denver, CO, USA
I pre-mix my nic base in 500ml batches at 50/50, 18mg. The majority of what I make is at 12%, and I also do 30/70 @ 6% for a few friends who only drip.

Also, while your math looks like it makes sense (in that there were numbers and percentages, I didn't actually read any of them), do yourself a favor and get a calculator like ejuicemeup. IMO DIY is not something you want to take lightly, and it's also nice to have your recipes saved. Few things feel worse than creating something awesome...and having no idea what you did or how to recreate it...

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Mansfield, Texas, United States
Been on my mind for a few weeks now, and I don't know what the appropriate terminology would be, but I've been tinkering with the idea of pre-mixing nicotine to my desired end strength, and simply adding flavoring to that... in a nutshell. Why? Time & Convenience. So when I'm mixing a juice, all I have to add is the nicotine juice and flavorings without the added measuring and addition of PG and VG and using/washing more syringes.

There's a complication with this, and that's that different recipes will have different amounts of flavorings added diluting the nicotine content. I generally vape at 12mg, so my thought is to simply mix a slightly higher level to compensate and simply accept that different juices may differ by up to 3mg in strength.

Crunching some numbers, if I had a 50/50 pg/vg juice @ 15mg nicotine strength. I don't think I have any juices in my recipe book that uses more than 20% total flavorings, so if I happened to be using 20% total flavorings, it would give me a clean 12mg juice in the end. If I only have 5% flavorings it would be at 14.25mg.

5% to 20% is my typical range of flavorings, with the majority falling around 10%, perhaps having a 14mg juice off the start might be a good compromise (14mg @10% = 12.6mg) and just accept that there can be a 2.25mg variation between my juices.

Does anyone do anything like this that might shed their thoughts/experience? I've got over a hundred vials of flavorings, never enough empty bottles, rarely mix a larger 30ml or higher batch of anything, and am so sick of having go measuring nic, pg, and vg every time I feel an itch to make some juices. Seems like this would be an ideal compromise in the interest of labor & time invested, especially if I'm mixing multiple juices. It's not uncommon for me to mix up to 8 experimental batches at a time, and having a pre-diluted unflavored juice for such a scenerio means 16 less measurements to make which is significant.

I went as far as to buy the premixed nic base in the strength I like 18mg/ml. I use same 10-15% flavoring effecting my final outcome by 1.75mg/ml at most. I see it as one or two more toots or puffs and I have taken in the same amount. For me more is bad! Less I can "smoke" a touch more and problem solved.

Live Long and Vape!

Necrosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Also, while your math looks like it makes sense (in that there were numbers and percentages, I didn't actually read any of them), do yourself a favor and get a calculator like ejuicemeup. IMO DIY is not something you want to take lightly, and it's also nice to have your recipes saved. Few things feel worse than creating something awesome...and having no idea what you did or how to recreate it...

I actually do use the ejuicemeup program, and the numbers I spit up came from it. Cant imagine mixing anything without it, it's like my lifeline. I keep 3 folders, 1 for finalized recipes that are keepers, 1 for recipes that are "in development", and a the last for failures (good to have access to your old numbers for future reference).

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I actually do use the ejuicemeup program, and the numbers I spit up came from it. Cant imagine mixing anything without it, it's like my lifeline. I keep 3 folders, 1 for finalized recipes that are keepers, 1 for recipes that are "in development", and a the last for failures (good to have access to your old numbers for future reference).

Great idea I have about 75 recipes in one folder that sometimes is a bit hard to navigate. I think I need to do some organizing.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I make up around 250mls of 50/50 (with 5% saline) at 7mg for my own use. I make a lot of testers in 6ml sizes, usually around 5% flavoring (never more than 10%, so as long as my nic strength is around 6mg (more or less) it's fine for me. Even if I make a 30ml bottle (rare) the nic strength is in the ballpark.

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Ok so if I have a 6mg VG base how much of a certain flavor would I add to get a decent juice ? Let's say a 15ml bottle since it's what I have in hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What flavor and from what vendor? Rule of thumb for me is start at 5% and work up. .75 ml or roughly 13-15 drops.

Live Long and Vape!

FStopFive

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2013
Denver, CO, USA

LOL, that's the exact same thing I do. My "In Development" is called "R&D" though. I also just keep cropped screenshot of the recipes rather than saving them as an actual file. Not sure why really.

I do enjoy going back to the recipes I put together when first getting started. Wow. Amazing how much knowledge is gained through experience...

tkparker

May 26, 2014
United States
What flavor and from what vendor? Rule of thumb for me is start at 5% and work up. .75 ml or roughly 13-15 drops.

Live Long and Vape!

Thanks Tom I am using MBV flavors and unflavored MBV 6mg VG base. I just got done mixing 10ml test batch using 8ml base & 2 ml flavor that's the 20% max so if I needed to add sweetener would you say 1 drop to 10ml???

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I vape at 36mg/l.

I keep a large bottle of 40mg/l 50/50 base on my desk at all times, I make it up a half liter at a time. I know that I can add 10% flavoring to this mix and be right at my 36mg. Makes for easy on the fly calculations. Works great too. Especially for a small bottle of something to-go, or a trial on flavor combinations.

When I do serious mixology I use "EzMixPro" and the 40mg nic is just one of the ingredients available, in addition to the more potent stuff. If my flavorings and additives are less than 10% total I will usually use the 40mg nic.

Necrosis

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Arizona
Glad to see this is not an uncommon practice. I got some mixing to do.

I do enjoy going back to the recipes I put together when first getting started. Wow. Amazing how much knowledge is gained through experience...

Lol, I feel like it's the opposite for me. Just like espresso, it's like the more more I know the less I know. Flavor chemistry on it's own is tough enough, let alone my below-avg sense of taste/smell (I'm not a smoker, so it's not that), but tack on the steeping/aging time variable ontop of everything and it's a recipe for madness.

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Thanks Tom I am using MBV flavors and unflavored MBV 6mg VG base. I just got done mixing 10ml test batch using 8ml base & 2 ml flavor that's the 20% max so if I needed to add sweetener would you say 1 drop to 10ml???

Sorry it took me so long to reply. The sweetener should always be as little as possible. The sweeteners chew up coils.

Live Long and Vape!

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I don't for a few reasons. I vary my PG/VG ratios from 70/30 to all VG with Distilled Water depending on mood. I vary my Nic from 12-18mg/ml. I mix for more than just me. I mix anything fron unflavored to a 6 ingredient recipe with 20-21% flavoring. I like to experiment a lot, so I keep my options open.

I don't think there is anything wrong with making up a base, it just doesn't work for me! :toast:

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread