Does Higher VG Need More Flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
K...so the way I understand this is that PG carries the flavor better and it is sweeter. If I have a recipe I like at 50/50 PG/VG ratio but decide I want to change it 40/60, do I need to then add more flavor? Should I also add sweetener to make up for the reduced sweetness from the PG?

Hi msgoddess...more vg means more time to steep is all.
If you want to remove sweetness...get some Bitter Wizard...that will help out...as will this link on additional ingredientts and what they'll do for your juices.
DIY e liquid additional ingredients

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
This is only my opinion, but I stopped using sweeteners in my juices because I made some with and some without and I honestly think my coils did not get as gunky as quickly without them. Again just my own observation. Most of your fruit flavors and clearer juices seem to be shake and vape. The darker and tobacco's definitely improve with aging. (if you can wait) Everything I have read says that PG is the flavor carrier, but I have not noticed that at all. I have tried many different percentages of pg/vg. I find always go back to the 50/50. You really don't want to over flavor your juice. It can cause the juice to actually have less flavor to your taste buds. I happen to start lower than the recommended percentage on a flavoring. I find that I can make small test batches and increase the flavoring to what I prefer. Of course if a juice is to strong you can dilute it down. Most say you will have diminished flavors but I have done this successfully. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck to you and have fun.

bohrdom

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Foster City, CA, USA
Everything I have read says that PG is the flavor carrier, but I have not noticed that at all.

I'm tempted to agree. I've read a lot about PG being the magic flavor elixir but, to me, PG and VG carry pretty similar amounts of flavor. There's definitely a distinctive "VG Taste" but I would argue that there's also a distinctive PG taste. Since I like things on the sweeter side, I'm biased toward max VG. And hey if you're DIYing and the flavor isn't strong enough, there's an easy solution...

MsGoddess2U

Nov 16, 2014
Salem, Oregon
Not looking to reduce sweetness...just wondering how I go about getting the same flavor and sweetness with a higher VG, as opposed to the 50/50, based off of something I read when I first started thinking about DIY e liquid.

The majority of you state that a longer steep time is required for higher VG and suggest that I not increase my flavor. Thank you!! I will not attempt flavor increase yet and I will be more patient with the steeping

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
VG is actually the sweeter of the two. Go ahead and taste them. PG carries flavor much better. It's lighter imo (not that distinct VG heaviness to overcome) and flavorings are usually in a PG base, so what better to mix flavorings with than more PG? It's actually more about dissolution chemistry than anything, but we won't go into that. I used to DIY high VG juice, but then I switched to making 50/50 and I ended up having to cut the flavor in half because the old percentages were just way too much. So yes, you will likely find that the higher the VG content, the more flavor you will need to add to overcome the sweet and heavy aspects of VG.

Last edited:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
I am currently "swinging on the fence" regarding this "High VG" subject. I recently re-made a few of my go-to recipes. I normally use a 45PG/45VG/10H20 base and this time I tried a 19PG/69VG/12H20 base to see how I like a high glycerin mix.

I am not sure what is going on here yet. It seems to me that SOME flavors are either muted OR need more time to steep. I have done a warm water steep for quite some time and this always does the trick with my normal base, but this high VG base truly is different. Before bumping flavoring percentages, I will let them sit longer.

With MY taste perception, flavors like peppermint, cinnamon, menthol and clove come through as they did before, but the tobacco and fruit flavors seem muted, at least for now. Time will tell! {The purpose of this experiment is to see if lowering PG will help with dehydration/dry mouth issues}

-Just my personal experience. Hope this helps! :vapor:

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Most vape right away and feel that more flavor is the key but the problem is they are not giving the flavoring the proper amount of time to mix with the VG. More flavoring is not the answer more time is the answer. You can warm the mixture to luke warm to thin the mix then shake the heck out of it or steep at 150F for the proper amount of time. As far as sweetening I concur with what was said here. Over sweetening will burn or gunk coils and If you use EM to sweeten you will also mute flavor. I recommend no more then half a percent to 1%. I've cut way back on sweetening (1/4 to 1/2 percent) as I found more sweetener does not nessessarly mean more sweetness.

Last edited:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
I am currently "swinging on the fence" regarding this "High VG" subject. I recently re-made a few of my go-to recipes. I normally use a 45PG/45VG/10H20 base and this time I tried a 19PG/69VG/12H20 base to see how I like a high glycerin mix.

I am not sure what is going on here yet. It seems to me that SOME flavors are either muted OR need more time to steep. I have done a warm water steep for quite some time and this always does the trick with my normal base, but this high VG base truly is different. Before bumping flavoring percentages, I will let them sit longer.

With MY taste perception, flavors like peppermint, cinnamon, menthol and clove come through as they did before, but the tobacco and fruit flavors seem muted, at least for now. Time will tell! {The purpose of this experiment is to see if lowering PG will help with dehydration/dry mouth issues}

This is just odd. Very slowly, the flavor is developing with time. For whatever reason, this high VG base seems to thwart speed steeping. The tobacco flavors are definitely more pronounced than a week ago. For me, the very high VG base was to see if it helped with dehydration/dry mouth. With vaping only high VG mixes over the past week, I still feel just as dried out and thirsty as I did before. Oh well. I will probably go back to a 45/45/10 base {or at least 35PG/55VG/10H20} as this long wait gives me nothing but aggravation. But this is the beauty of DIY; one can make juice any way you please, and I love to experiment with all the percentages. Fun stuff! :)

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009

Johny, because the dehydration issue I switched from 50/50 to max. VG, with 10% distilled water added to the mix, and i haven't found it much different regarding flavors. Now the only pg on my mixes is the one that comes with flavors, so the pg percent is real low. Very happy with this way of mixing, really don't miss the pg!

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
K...so the way I understand this is that PG carries the flavor better and it is sweeter. If I have a recipe I like at 50/50 PG/VG ratio but decide I want to change it 40/60, do I need to then add more flavor? Should I also add sweetener to make up for the reduced sweetness from the PG?

PG may carry more flavor easier, but it by itself is not more sweet. VG is considered a sugar alcohol and if you try them straight-up, meaning actually taste it on your tongue, you'll see that VG is pretty sweet -- though it doesn't exactly come through strongly on the vape. What may be the case is that PG being a better overall flavor carrier makes it so sweeter flavors just are more noticeable, not becasue PG is sweeter but becasue it carries flavors better. Frankly, I prefer a higher mix of VG becasue I think VG adds more overall density to the vapor, not merely making more of it, but the overall feel of the vape.

Do you need to add more flavor? I wouldn't do anything until you see how your recipe holds up to the change in solvents -- you may not need to change a thing. Remember, more flavoring and better flavor do not always walk hand in hand.

I use sweetener from ECX. I use one drop per 10 mL (or .2%) but I occasionally use up to 2 drops per 10 mL (.4%). I rarely go higher becasue I notice the coils get wonky/gunked up and give what feels like dry hits even when the wick is saturated.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Does CVS carry any easy options for distilled water? I know a lot of the waters have electrolytes/minerals. Looking for some quick and easy option to try adding a touch of water.

Check in the children's aisle. They may have some smaller bottles for babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread