Does my first RDA build look okay?

Discussion in 'RDA' started by Jumberlack, Nov 29, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    i used premade twisted coils for it, but im not sure if it's normal. it's 0.18 ohms build.jpg

2. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Does it vape good? Did it turn out at approx the ohm I expected? When the answer the those are YES I call the build good. No matter what it looks like.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

3. Two_Bears

Two_Bears Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    Looks fine. I woukd recommend a higher resistance for better safety.

4. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are you using a regulated mod? In that case there's no problem with that low of a resistance. If you're using a mech mod, use higher resistance coils.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

zoiDman likes this.
  5. Iamthatguyyouknow

Iamthatguyyouknow Full Member

Nov 23, 2016
    All of the above and for the future I would try to center the coils, thats me though being a crazy perfectionist. I would use less cotton also, but thats probably preference.

rkiss369 and sonicbomb like this.
  6. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    thanks for the replies, yes i am using a regulated mod so im not too concerned about the ohms...
    this is my first real build (made the coils myself), using 24g twisted wire, 0.16 ohms. i tried to center the coils some more

build2.png

jmercury1 and rkiss369 like this.
  7. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Looks pretty good, you could probably go lighter on the wicking. Maybe next try a lower mass coil with lighter wire more wraps and a higher resistance.

8. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    thanks for the tips. that coil is 24g 4 wraps, should i try a twisted 28g with 5 wraps?

9. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    By all means, in fact, try all the coils. Experiment and then experiment some more, find the coils you like through experience. I would suggest trying some plain round wire builds before branching out into anything more exotic to establish a base line of performance.

You may find this very useful as you can model builds and get an idea of their heatflux characteristics before you even cut a length of wire.

Izan likes this.
  10. Two_Bears

Two_Bears Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    Yep either 26 or 28 gauge.

11. jersey_emt

jersey_emt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Not bad at all for a first try. I also think you should go a bit lighter on the cotton. The density of the left coil on your second photo looks alright, but you only need the wick tails just long enough to touch the bottom of the juice well, not completely cover it. You definitely want the space underneath the coils to be clear to ensure proper airflow / cooling.

More wraps with twisted 26 or 28 gauge wire will probably work better for you too. The coils will heat up faster and there will be a lot more surface area touching the wick. Eight wraps or thereabouts is the sweet spot for me for basic twisted builds, but of course your preference will vary.

12. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    thanks. do you have an idea of how many wraps of 28g twisted wire to get about a .3 ohm dual coil build?

13. sonicbomb

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser

Izan likes this.
  14. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    that's a bit too complicated for me with twisted wire, im not sure the twist pitch ect

15. jersey_emt

Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Don't worry about the resistance. You're using a regulated mod, so you don't have to build super low resistance coils to get a good vape. In fact, building to a higher resistance will give you better results with a regulated mod, since you will have more wraps (more surface area) and can just turn up the wattage to account for the extra wire mass.

0.3 ohms for a dual coil twisted 28 gauge build is rather low. You're only going to get 4 or 5 wraps, and it will be a rather hot vape. Eight or nine wraps with a 3 mm diameter will be around 0.5 - 0.6 ohms, which is a good starting point for twisted 28 gauge builds.

Twist pitch is just how tightly twisted your wires are -- the distance from one 'x' to the next 'x' in the wire. Your 24 gauge build is very loosely twisted, I'd say about 2.25 - 2.5 mm. I'd recommend a tighter twist next time, it will have more little nooks and crannies for the juice to flow onto the coil from the wick. Twist the wire until it breaks off on one end, and the twist pitch will be around 0.75 - 1.5 mm depending on wire gauge (28 gauge will be closer to 0.75 mm, 24 gauge will be closer to 1.5 mm). If you're not sure, just enter in 1 mm for the twist pitch for tightly twisted wire and it will be close enough. The twist pitch doesn't change the results all that much.

So tightly twisted 28 gauge wire, 3 mm diameter, 1 mm twist pitch, dual coil: 8 wraps will be about 0.53 ohm, 9 wraps about 0.60 ohm. Either build if wicked properly will easily handle 100 watts without being extremely hot, but I usually run those builds at 60 - 70 watts.

sonicbomb likes this.
  16. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    that's strange, i just made a 28g 6 wrap twisted coil and it's reading .87 ohms. what could i have done wrong?

edit: after messing around with it and adding a second coil it's now at .37 ohms which isn't as far off

17. jersey_emt

Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    0.37 ohms is pretty far off for a 6-wrap twisted 28 gauge dual coil build. To get that low with twisted 28 gauge wire it would only be 3 wraps. You might have a short. Or might your 28 gauge wire be stainless steel and not Kanthal? Stainless steel wire has about half the resistance of Kanthal wire.

Can you post a photo of your build? What diameter are your coils? I'm assuming 2.5 mm - 3 mm.

And why only 6 wraps? Eight or nine is where you should be starting out for a twisted 28 gauge build.

18. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016

i already took that one apart, but right now i'm working on a twisted 24g 8 wrap dual coil. i'll post a picture in a few minutes when i'm done...im aiming for .3 ohms

19. jersey_emt

Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    8 wraps of twisted 24 gauge is going to take quite a long time to heat up. Eight or so wraps is a good starting point for thinner twisted builds with 26 or 28 gauge wire, with 24 gauge I'd start at 6.

20. Jumberlack

Jumberlack Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    this is that build, it's working okay but there's a lot of spitback. i might have just over filled it though. i went with 8 wraps to get .3 ohms, didn't want it to be too low...it came out exactly .3 ohms

won't let me upload a pic so heres a link imgur.com/a/9I1c5