Does vaping cause phlegm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Yeah, but I think it's the known vs. the unknown......

That's right, as it would be foolish to disregard this. As in many things the dose is everything. It's one thing to inhale some PG from an asthma inhaler at most a few times a day, but a whole different thing to take hundreds of hits daily from a PV. I can take two aspirin and it's therapeutic, but a whole bottle...

A few things could be done to reduce the risk. One is to use a higher nicotine e-liquid. If you're doing 24 mg jump up to 36 mg and you can cut your use be 50%.

Another is to supplement your PV with some smokeless tobacco as in snus, nasal snuff, or stonewall dissolvables. Many who have done this have cut there PV use by a good amount, and many have stopped using the PV completely. The long term risk factors with smokeless are well established, and they are very small indeed compared to smoking.

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
I reckon to keep their product selling, tobacco companies have pulled out all the stops to minimise the bad effects of smoking and keep them "hidden" until it's too late. I smoked about 25 a day for 39 years and it was only after about 35 years that I realised something was going seriously pear-shaped with my lungs and I sought medical help. Of course there were warning signs along the way, but my addiction overuled them.

So far, I've only vaped for 3.5 months at a rate of 2 to 3 mls /day and I'm already suspicious of it.

I posted this on another thread:

They make a device called a "Lung Flute", brand new on the market. Needs a prescription to get one, but is only $40. You blow into it and it vibrates your lungs at 16hz to release phlegm. Supposed to be breakthrough technology that "mobilizes and clears excessive secretions from the lungs of patients with COPD (chronic bronchitis), asthma, cystic fibrosis, pneumonia, and tuberculosis." It could revolutionize the health industry. Check it out, Lung Flute® by Medical Acoustics.

the phlegm is your lungs expelling all the tar and crap from cigarettes. they put a cough suppressing chemical in cigarettes, thats why you get "used" to it after a week. Ive been smoking "other" stuff for 10 years and i still cough. coughing is a natural way for your lungs to expel stuff from a harsh environment, or smoking. one reason a lot of ppl that tried to quit cigs failed to do so, they didnt like seeing what they were coughing up when they stopped.

mikes

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 23, 2009
NH
www.mikeusa.com
I am working on trying to figure out what the cause is. It is obviously something in the liquid.

The more she smokes the more she gets.

Started by reducing strength of fluid from 24 to 11mg. This seems to have helped a little.

Next looking at her trying the vg instead of the pg to see if it is the pg.

Then going to try the flavorless to see if it is the flavoring.

Then going to try the 0mg to see if it is the nicotine.

Will keep you updated...

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa

Lastone

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Massachusetts, USA
I have been vaping mostly Nobacco from V4L the first 4 weeks and then Dekang and Nobacco for about two weeks since I started vaping and quite analogs 6 weeks ago. Side effects: dry throat but mostly dry nose. Got a little better as I was going along. However, I couple of days ago I started vaping Halo's Harley 56. I am now experiencing facial break-out and a small rash/dryness on my cheek as well as stomach cramping (although there is a stomach bug going around so I am not sure what to think about the stomach cramping). Why am I breaking out? Is it because of the six weeks of vaping or the two days of Halo?

At this point I am well off analogs. I think I will try to limit e-smocking to 50-75 inhaled puffs per day. That should not be too much exposure. Also, I am noticing that I am not keeping the vape in my lungs long and I am not double dragging (inhaling the first drag, keeping it in the lungs while taking the second drag). As soon as I get the throat hit I blow the vapor out right away. I think that is a good thing.

I am also very suspicious of the flavoring in the juices from all sources both foreign and domestic. I think I will start making some DIY juice with no flavoring or very light flavoring (maybe some espresso/coffee or tobacco flavors. If it does not taste great maybe I won't vape as much.

I would suggest not to keep the vape in your lungs long. I will report if I see any phlegm.

Alphabet

Apr 2, 2009
Wyoming, USA
Aaahhh! This thread reminds me of watching the news.

"And now, something that is in your home and could kill you.... Tonight at 10."

But it is about noon when you are watching so you go through the days looking about your house wondering what it could possibly be! Hopefully this turns out to be something that can be mitigated. I really enjoyed smoking (I probably would not have quit but for my pv), now I really enjoy vaping. I got into it knowing it is not completely healthy, I just hope it is not terrible!

I would like to thank everyone that has posted this, it is definitely a good heads up! I am on the edge of my seat waiting for further info.

ZoSo15

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Arizona
I've been coughing and hawking up phlegm since I switched to PVs. Clear liquid with dark brown/black tar in the middle. As time goes on its happening less frequently and with less and less tar. So, its comforting to see that I'm getting all the tar out of my system. And its nice to know that this tar is encased in antibacterial fluid. But now that I'm starting to expel clear fluid with no tar, I'm a little concerned. Glad I found this thread. Though the implications of it are a little worrisome, its best to know the risks. ...Cause I'm not quitting any time soon.

traderblue

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2008
Singapore
Vaping does not really caused phlegm. It is when you initially stopped smoking analogs that caused the phlegm. After a while, when your body get used to No-Analog regime, the phlegm will gradually subside and dry up. I remember when I stopped analogs and replaced with vaping, my nose-wax turned from the usual grossly dark/brownish color to suddenly clear/white. This remind me that analog-smoke contains high-level of carbon-tar substances. Nowadays, my nose-wax is normally clear/white.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Vaping does not really caused phlegm. It is when you initially stopped smoking analogs that caused the phlegm. After a while, when your body get used to No-Analog regime, the phlegm will gradually subside and dry up. I remember when I stopped analogs and replaced with vaping, my nose-wax turned from the usual grossly dark/brownish color to suddenly clear/white. This remind me that analog-smoke contains high-level of carbon-tar substances. Nowadays, my nose-wax is normally clear/white.

I am at 8 months vaping and I have phlegm.....clear, but there, nonetheless.

Ixnay

Feb 19, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My very first post! Whee! :)

Smoking took many years, even decades to give rise to worrying symptoms, whilst vaping is doing it, to at least some people, in only a couple of months. That's quick and if it gets worse at the same rate, could indicate vaping is far more dangerous than smoking. Doesn't help much if we're immune to cancer but die of respiratory disease.

I couldn't agree more, and have been watching this thread (and your "Alarm alarm alarm!!!!" thread) carefully!

I've been off the RY4 for 2 weeks now and my symptoms have all cleared up, at least to a much lower level. In the last 2 days, there's also been a noticable drop in the e-phlegm I cough up in the mornings. I'm still very hopeful I'm on the right track. No more flavour experimentation for me.
He also flatly said, without any equivocation, that PG and VG both produced it. It is not a PG problem. It is a problem with both carriers presently used to contain the nicotine in solution. He said he would like to find another carrier agent.
TropicalBob, can you tell us if the researcher tested on flavourless PG/VG liquids only, or is it possible flavourings played a role? I'm not (yet) frightened enough of the possibility of e-phlegm to give up my beloved new 510 yet, but I have shelved all liquids except flavourless since reading Doug_Dread's posts!

ncgator

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I've been vaping since Dec ... quit analogs at the same time. Experienced the initial "clearing of the lungs" for a week or so. No real symptoms until I started on VG about 2 weeks ago. No I am feeling like I am smoking analogs again. Feels really strange. I don't think its a cold so it has me concerned. I just bought a bunch of VG juice cause I liked the flavor. No I'm going to set it aside for a while and use the PG stuff to see if the issues continue.

Good thread... thanks to all.

traderblue

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2008
Singapore
I've been vaping since Dec ... quit analogs at the same time. Experienced the initial "clearing of the lungs" for a week or so. No real symptoms until I started on VG about 2 weeks ago. No I am feeling like I am smoking analogs again. Feels really strange. I don't think its a cold so it has me concerned. I just bought a bunch of VG juice cause I liked the flavor. No I'm going to set it aside for a while and use the PG stuff to see if the issues continue.

Good thread... thanks to all.

Hope this helps -> A List of Common Symptoms when E-smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread