Does vaping change alcohol consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Why do I have a hunch that switching to vaping reduces drinking? I'm not the one to ask because I don't drink (actually my rule is I only drink other people's expensive Scotch). Is there anybody looking at this who does drink and noticed a difference after they switched to vaping?

Other similar questions might be interesting. Do kids who vape drink less than kids who smoke? How do kids who vape do in school compared to smoking or non smoking kids? Is performance in school change when a parent switches to vaping? There must be some more good ones I haven't thought of.

Last edited:

tony46113

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2016
Those who don't drink, don't drink. Those who do, do. Who ever said that vaping and drinking go together has no idea what they are talking about. Not everyone that smokes or vapes consumes large quantities of alcohol and not everyone that consumes large amounts of alcohol also smokes or vapes.

Alcoholism is a big problem, but don't blame vaping for your unrelated disease.

Reactions: SupplyDaddy

Just Want To Quit

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
San Fernando Valley, So-Cal
From my own personal experience I've seen nothing on my end that would lead me to believe I drink any less than I do. I may drink a little slower now that I can vape in my room instead of going outside for a cigarette after ever other beer, but that's about it.

I prefer Dark English Ales and Custard Vapes... especially my beloved Certified 365. :cool:

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Why do I have a hunch that switching to vaping reduces drinking? I'm not the one to ask because I don't drink (actually my rule is I only drink other people's expensive Scotch). Is there anybody looking at this who does drink and noticed a difference after they switched to vaping?

Other similar questions might be interesting. Do kids who vape drink less than kids who smoke? How do kids who vape do in school compared to smoking or non smoking kids? Is performance in school change when a parent switches to vaping? There must be some more good ones I haven't thought of.
It did reduce it for me, not that smokers bother me much but my friend owns a pretty damn hifi recording studio, I used to drink with him all the time when I was a smoker, there's always tonnes of people there and in the chill room away from the equipment he allows smoking, there can be up to 10 people smoking in there at once and even though he has some high powered smoke eaters it's not enough for me so I just don't go when there's a lot of people there... I actually left tonight because it was so bad I was getting a headache, if it wasn't for that I'd probably still be there drinking now...

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Why do I have a hunch that switching to vaping reduces drinking?

Your title drew me in, it's an interesting question, but I'm not sure what you're speculating.

My first thought was... could one influence the uptake of the other, but they're both astonishingly quick in their own right.
Alcohol is a tremendous carrier, especially across cell walls... but Nic is too fast for that.

If, like me, one has cut back enough that high nic is an unusual event... try dripping a couple of drops of say 24mg. The effect hits in a fraction of a second. Obviously, it doesn't need assistance.
I might consider it likely (?) that drinking causes one to vape more nic than one would otherwise.

So could Nic influence ones "desire" for alcohol intake?
Are you proposing anything along those lines? That's what I came in for. ;)

For we who do both, they're ... "two tastes that taste great together".
Several posts up-thread regarding that concept. I don't see it causing a reduction.

And to answer the poll (as it were)... I do drink regularly. My consumption has been quite steady, and reasonable, for at least a decade (I'm 55 next week... HBD2M). No change from vaping.

And I'm having some good Scotch right now... trying to break my distaste for the stuff. :)

Reactions: DC2

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England

I Can do. I'm not a heavy drinker. Sometimes I fancy a pint or three after work. I will testify that sometimes I've thought 'meh I don't want the partial hangover at work tomorrow' and just sat and had a really good vape session instead and the combination of the nice flavour and the mild nicotine buzz has satisfied me and I have not drunk anything.

Also when I drink vaping does not work. I always have a few analogues when I drink. So sometimes in social situations I will just vape instead of having a drink.

Sometimes I want a drink and have a drink, obviously. Sadly then I smoke too as vaping just does not go with alcohol for me, tried every type of flavour and none of them cut it.

So you CAN use a heavy vape session as a substitute for a couple of drinks, well I can. Bear in mind this is just my personal anecdote and I am not an alcoholic or frequent alcohol user.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm wondering if switching to vaping changes drinking habits. I'm wondering if kids who vape tend to have a different relationship to drinking or if it changes their daily lives in other ways. Focusing on health risks of vaping is a shame because they are probably negligable. I think there is more interesting research to do. The biggest change in my life from switching to vaping has been the money saved. Even with some extra expense to stock pile I've saved a lot of money. In another day or two it will be $5,000 I didn't spend on cigarettes.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I actually think vaping doesn't call for alcohol as much as smoking does. I think I drink less than I once did. Still, there may be no correlation whatsoever...
I've seen more than one account about how avoiding cigarettes is hardest when there is drinking. So if that temptation is finally overcome does there also end up being less drinking? It might be that kid vapers who hang out together drink less than kids who smoke. To me, interesting questions.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
I think it does lessen it now that I think about it. I grew up associating stinkies with beer. Since I started vaping, I don't find the same effect with a vape that I did with a stinky. I think it's behavioral and maybe societal for me. I still enjoy a draft every once in a while but not as frequently as when I smoked.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think it does lessen it now that I think about it. I grew up associating stinkies with beer. Since I started vaping, I don't find the same effect with a vape that I did with a stinky. I think it's behavioral and maybe societal for me. I still enjoy a draft every once in a while but not as frequently as when I smoked.
If there is a correllation between vaping and drinking less that would sort of huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread