Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
20r4t44.jpg

rli4o6.jpg
Hmmm.. what style of Sword Form is that?

Reactions: Dlmdavid

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
"You can use any resistance coil you want"

Not necessarily. All regulated mods have a minimum and maximum possible output voltage, and a maximum output current (regardless of voltage, separate from max power). So anyone pushing the envelope of high power/low coil resistance can run into that. People doing modest builds at modest power levels probably would not.

Ok, please explain to me HOW the atty's coil has ANY bearing on altering or controlling the duty cycle

Last edited:

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
To summarize what what has become a filthy cesspit of a thread:

OP was peeved because people were (in his opinion) confusing Ohms law and Watts law. This is completely irrelevant to 99.99% of people who vape, ALL they need to know is the rules they need to follow so they don't over tax the amp limit of their batteries. It's as simple as that. The rest is semantics and perhaps an opportunity to show off real or imagined electrical engineering skills. You may as well argue what colour atoms are.
There are still a lot of people on ECF who do not know how to check the amp draw for a regulated mod, I was one until fairly recently. THIS is what needs to be rectified, because venting batteries is an experience no-one needs to have. If it makes OP happier, don't mention the names of either of the two dead guys, just impart the correct knowledge and point them towards steam-engine to model it for themselves.

For clarity's (or pity's or Pete's) sake:

The battery (input) side.
As the battery voltage falls, the amp draw will rise. Make sure your battery's CDR matches the lower of these two values. That's it.

The atomizer (output) side.
The whole point of a regulated mod is, you guessed it, it regulates. It delivers the power/watts to the coil that you request. What happens electrically on this side is separate from input/battery side and is irrelevant for the previously mentioned 99.99% of vapers. Arguing about what defines a watt, or what James Watts birthday was is not helping anyone.
Yes the actual mix of volts and amps that are multiplied together varies with the resistance of the coil, but happens internally on the chip, neither battery NOR the user cares or needs to know.
You can use any resistance coil you want. All that matters here is balancing the mass/surface area with the amount of power you choose to apply to it to get the heat-flux and vapor production that you want.

Variable Voltage

Regulated mods that offer a variable voltage mode/option are just giving the user a different interface value to look at. What happens electrically on both the input and output side is absolutely identical. It's there because Joe Bloggs knows roughly how hot 4 volts is, Johns Smith knows roughly how hot 50 watts is.
Model it in Battery drain and see for yourself.

Agreed, I think some maybe trying to explain how a wall heater works and not a PFM board .................

Reactions: MMW

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Ummmm.... my reply you quoted said nothing about duty cycle so I can't answer your question...

Not necessarily ? So anyone pushing the envelope of high power/low coil resistance can run into that.

Run into what ? how does the PWM controller know / care what coil you have on your atty ?

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD

Not necessarily ? So anyone pushing the envelope of high power/low coil resistance can run into that.

Run into what ? how does the PWM controller know / care what coil you have on your atty ?
Couple ways this could happen...

1. Regulated mods have a limited voltage swing, both upper and lower range. If you have a very low resistance coil, and want to max out the power, the mod may not go low enough to get there. If you have a very high resistance coil, the mod may not be able to output enough voltage to get to max power.

2. Regulated mods have a maximum current they can handle, as well as maximum power. A very low resistance coil would require relatively very low voltage but very high power to get to max power. If you used a coil at or near the minimum resistance it is specified for, it might not get to max power.

The above is a little theoretical but there are a lot of mods out there, and many of them claim to handle ridiculously low resistance coils, as low as 0.1 ohm, and I see lots of threads from not very well educated vapers here asking about such ridiculously low resistance coils, like "how do I build a 0.1 ohm coil". And I shudder when I read that because I know how they are trying to push some envelopes but are clueless. So maybe not so theoretical.

Also not all mods even specify a max current output. And VW only mods often do not specify the voltage ranges they can handle. For example, my Evic-VTC Mini claims to go to 75W and handle 0.1 ohm coils. That requires 27.5A at 2.75V. I kind of question if it can go there, but I'm not going to be the one to stick a 0.1 ohm coil in there to find out :shock:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
The minimum firing resistance of a regulated mod is there to protect the mod itself, too low of a resistance and there will be too high of current going through the board then it is designed to handle causing it to be damaged.
If you are responding to my post(s)... the minimum firing resistance is the minimum resistance that the mod should fire under any circumstances. Can we always assume that that minimum resistance will fire at any power level? Same for any maximum (or unusually high) resistance, specified or not. The Evic-VT, for example, actually specifies a lower max power output for the low end of it's allowable resistance range. Given the varying levels of build quality and documentation quality in the industry, I'm not sure you can assume too much here. But that is a personal opinion, YMMV.

My original point was only to suggest that those pushing the max power of their regulated mods and also pushing their coil designs ought to be familiar with Ohm's law and it's close derivations such as "Watt's Law" just in order to do a sanity check on what they are doing.

Dlmdavid

Jan 22, 2016
Canada
If you are responding to my post(s)... the minimum firing resistance is the minimum resistance that the mod should fire under any circumstances. Can we always assume that that minimum resistance will fire at any power level? Same for any maximum (or unusually high) resistance, specified or not. The Evic-VT, for example, actually specifies a lower max power output for the low end of it's allowable resistance range. Given the varying levels of build quality and documentation quality in the industry, I'm not sure you can assume too much here. But that is a personal opinion, YMMV.

My original point was only to suggest that those pushing the max power of their regulated mods and also pushing their coil designs ought to be familiar with Ohm's law and it's close derivations such as "Watt's Law" just in order to do a sanity check on what they are doing.
No sorry I was just referring to where this conversation has gone, and no the mod should safely be able to fire lower than the minimum resistance at lower wattages, they would set it based on the maximum power of the device, for example a mod designed to put out 150w and fire as low as .15 ohms can safely handle about 31 amps of current through it (or so they would claim, I wouldn't really trust that). It should also safely fire .1 ohms at 100 watts but since it could be turned up past that they limit it to .15 to ensure people don't over draw their devices.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Couple ways this could happen...

1. Regulated mods have a limited voltage swing, both upper and lower range. If you have a very low resistance coil, and want to max out the power, the mod may not go low enough to get there. If you have a very high resistance coil, the mod may not be able to output enough voltage to get to max power.

2. Regulated mods have a maximum current they can handle, as well as maximum power. A very low resistance coil would require relatively very low voltage but very high power to get to max power. If you used a coil at or near the minimum resistance it is specified for, it might not get to max power.

The above is a little theoretical but there are a lot of mods out there, and many of them claim to handle ridiculously low resistance coils, as low as 0.1 ohm, and I see lots of threads from not very well educated vapers here asking about such ridiculously low resistance coils, like "how do I build a 0.1 ohm coil". And I shudder when I read that because I know how they are trying to push some envelopes but are clueless. So maybe not so theoretical.

Also not all mods even specify a max current output. And VW only mods often do not specify the voltage ranges they can handle. For example, my Evic-VTC Mini claims to go to 75W and handle 0.1 ohm coils. That requires 27.5A at 2.75V. I kind of question if it can go there, but I'm not going to be the one to stick a 0.1 ohm coil in there to find out :shock:

Regulated mods (do not) have a limited voltage swing, they have whats called switching regulators which require a means to vary their output voltage in response to input and output voltage changes so you would need to incorporate a PWM or PFM that controls the input to the associated power switch, which controls its on and off time (duty cycle), nowhere in between or on any side for that matter, does the battery see the "atty's resistance".
What is of more importance is the size of the wire gauge used from the output of the PCB, that's were you will see major problems if they do happen.

Reactions: Dlmdavid

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I mainly took issue with this: "Just as resistance tells next to nothing about how a coil performs - wattage applied to the coil is equally nondescript."

But I'm going to do this thread a favor and not get into a pissing match about it. If you want to believe wattage is meaningless, go for it. After all, for a typical coil you are hanging on what happens in the first half second or so to back up that declaration.

There is no point in another 3 pages worth of your walls of text and me going "Please read what I initially wrote". I can't help if you opt for misinterpreting my words and taking grave offense. :facepalm:

Reactions: MMW

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Should Have stated as such in the opening post.;)

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Everyone is so concerned about ohms law that I'm scared they only preach it because they were told they should know about it. The only time ohms law is even relevant is in a mech mod, if you're using a regulated mod it's watts law you need to deal with, instead of preaching ohms law we should be preaching basic DC circuits and understanding when it's necessary to use which law.
If it's Ok with you I will forget about "Watts Law" since in all my years of electrical engineering it's not a term I or my coworkers ever used, nor did any of my professors use the term. A watt is simply a unit of measure of power and it can apply to not just the rate of electrical energy consumed, the term can be used for the rate of mechanical energy consumed as well. After all the concept of watts and horsepower, both units of the measure of power, were made by James Watt, the inventor of the STEAM engine. :)
I simply refer to the measure of energy consumption as Power, and I use Power formulas to calculate how many watts of power.
Also these days "heat" is defined in thermodynamics as work and is not synonymous with "temperature". So 50 watts of heat being generated by two coils can be at different temperatures depending on the coils size (thickness and length), wicking, air flow, etc. as I believe some have stated already here. In common usage people do tend to use "heat" to mean the same thing as "hot"and "temperature", but in engineering and science they aren't.

Last edited:

Dlmdavid

Jan 22, 2016
Canada
If it's Ok with you I will forget about "Watts Law" since in all my years of electrical engineering it's not a term I or my coworkers ever used, nor did any of my professors use the term. A watt is simply a unit of measure of power and it can apply to not just the rate of electrical energy consumed, the term can be used for the rate of mechanical energy consumed as well. After all the concept of watts and horsepower, both units of the measure of power, were made by James Watt, the inventor of the STEAM engine. :)
I simply refer to the measure of energy consumption as Power, and I use Power formulas to calculate how many watts of power.
Also these days "heat" is defined in thermodynamics as work and is not synonymous with "temperature". So 50 watts of heat being generated by two coils can be at different temperatures depending on the coils size (thickness and length), wicking, air flow, etc. as I believe some have stated already here.
I agree with most of what you're saying, as far as you never using watts law, that is fine, in my career as an electrician it is something that has come up often both by professors and through textbooks, and a term I use on the job quite often. Your power formulas are my watts law, I'm not really sure how this thread turned so ugly, my entire point of starting it was more or less to say current draw on a battery is measured by P/E in a regulated mod and E/R in a mech mod, I've had so many people tell me they calculate how much current in their regulated mods by E/R because the guy at the vape shop told them they needed to use ohms law. That kind of vague information is what's leading to people having their batteries vent and explode and it's a huge pet peeve of mine

Reactions: David Wolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread