Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Has anyone picked one of this up yet? I'm wondering what you think, and most of all if it has an adjustable 510 or spring loaded 510. Basically, will all your atomizers sit flush with the top of the mod?

Let me know what you think. If I had the flow, I'd love to own a original one.... but at the moment it's far outta my price range. But if the clone is any good, it would help me out a lot. I need a solid box mod at the moment that's not to big, and also has decent build quality and all atomizers will sit perfectly ontop.

image2.jpg

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I just ordered the SS clone from focalecig about a week ago (hasn't shipped yet :() on an impulse buy with a coupon at about 27 bucks shipped. Anyway, I never read much about it before, I'd just seen it everywhere and knew the authentic was from the Philippines so I thought a 1:1 clone would be an awesome piece. So after I ordered it I did a little research and I found someone (forgot who already) who said that you shouldn't use an atty without a protruding center pin (much like you would not with any hybrid mech mod), and that JDTech (the original manufacturers) do not recommend building below 0.5 ohms on it! This is bad news for me as I currently enjoy building around 0.17-0.25 on all my mechs. I don't see how this would be an issue but I'm still trying to find more info on the subject.

It would be much appreciated if this thread can wake up and some of the authentic or clone owners could chime in on their personal experiences and/or research with this mod.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I need to more research myself and found the same sad info you did. I also found some people that had button issues (getting hot, miss fires, etc.) I guess the original has button issues as well. Grimm Green has a video were he takes it apart and bends a piece inside of it to fix the button isses. One user did that with his clone and it then worked good for him for about a half week I think he said, then it died all together.

The 510 I guess isn't really a pin, more like a sheet\plate of metal. And from what I hear, it's not adjustable. So I'm assuming there's gonna be some atty gap issues. I can NOT deal with atty gap whatsoever. Anything with an atty gap I won't buy, and anything I bought the ends up having a atty gap I get rid of (Manhattan for one).

I hope you have better luck that what we've been hearing so far. The box looks amazing, and the size it just outstanding. I'm almost tempted to buy one, gut the thing, place a fatdaddy adjustable 510 on it, and attempting to hack the switch somehow so it isn't mechanical anymore.... or still is mechanical, but works properly. I'm not sure I got the skills for that though.

Also, I heard a guy was running his at around 0.3ohms without any issues. I know you a little lower than that, but it's better than 0.5ohms. Keep us posted on the performance and issues if any once you receive yours. I'd check out that Grimm Green video if I was you so you know what to do with the switch if it starts giving you issues.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

stephenwhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Saint Cloud,MN.
Your attys should sit flush if you screw the atty on before you install the batteries.The 510 pin will push the plate down,but if you have the batteries in the mod the plate can't push down.Definately use an atty with a protruding center pin like you would on a hybrid.I would guess that if you use something like a tugboat with a center pin that sticks out pretty far that it may not sit flush.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I need to more research myself and found the same sad info you did. I also found some people that had button issues (getting hot, miss fires, etc.) I guess the original has button issues as well. Grimm Green has a video were he takes it apart and bends a piece inside of it to fix the button isses. One user did that with his clone and it then worked good for him for about a half week I think he said, then it died all together.

The 510 I guess isn't really a pin, more like a sheet\plate of metal. And from what I hear, it's not adjustable. So I'm assuming there's gonna be some atty gap issues. I can NOT deal with atty gap whatsoever. Anything with an atty gap I won't buy, and anything I bought the ends up having a atty gap I get rid of (Manhattan for one).

I hope you have better luck that what we've been hearing so far. The box looks amazing, and the size it just outstanding. I'm almost tempted to buy one, gut the thing, place a fatdaddy adjustable 510 on it, and attempting to hack the switch somehow so it isn't mechanical anymore.... or still is mechanical, but works properly. I'm not sure I got the skills for that though.

Also, I heard a guy was running his at around 0.3ohms without any issues. I know you a little lower than that, but it's better than 0.5ohms. Keep us posted on the performance and issues if any once you receive yours. I'd check out that Grimm Green video if I was you so you know what to do with the switch if it starts giving you issues.

I saw grimms vid but it was on the Castigador, not the dos equis.

I guess I'm most bummed about having to treat it like a hybrid mod. I have a couple attys where the 510 doesn't stick out much and I was hoping to use them on this.

Anyway, who knows if I'm ever even getting it. This is my first time ordering from focalecig, do they usually go this long without an email about anything?? I guess it has been over a week and all I got was a receipt. No shipping, no processing or anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I saw grimms vid but it was on the Castigador, not the dos equis.

I guess I'm most bummed about having to treat it like a hybrid mod. I have a couple attys where the 510 doesn't stick out much and I was hoping to use them on this.

Anyway, who knows if I'm ever even getting it. This is my first time ordering from focalecig, do they usually go this long without an email about anything?? I guess it has been over a week and all I got was a receipt. No shipping, no processing or anything...

I must have got the two mixed up, swore he did the dos equis.

Yesh, China places can take a while. It took over a week before gear best out of China ever sent my last order.

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
Steer clear of the Limewell clones. When I purchased one a few weeks ago, it was horribly machined. To the point where none of my batteries would even fit, without stripping the wrap on all of the sharp edges they left. Tried vtc4s, samsung 25r, and LGHE2 batteries.

I now have an authentic copper black, which is essentially the version 2. Removes the sliding door and replaces it with threaded plugs, much like the vapor flask.

I sincerely hope you folks receive quality clones, if they work anything like the authentic, you will be VERY pleased!

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Steer clear of the Limewell clones. When I purchased one a few weeks ago, it was horribly machined. To the point where none of my batteries would even fit, without stripping the wrap on all of the sharp edges they left. Tried vtc4s, samsung 25r, and LGHE2 batteries.

I now have an authentic copper black, which is essentially the version 2. Removes the sliding door and replaces it with threaded plugs, much like the vapor flask.

I sincerely hope you folks receive quality clones, if they work anything like the authentic, you will be VERY pleased!

So who sells these Limewell clones?

My Dos Equis left NY two days ago according to Focalecig's tracking...still haven't received it here in VA. Anyway, I just watched MikeVapes on youtube's review of the actual Focalecig Dos Equis clone and he said he was instructed to install the batteries first before the atty every time. Some people in the comments disagreed with him and said to do it the other way. I think this is an important point. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it is in fact important to install the batteries first and then the atty because if the atty is pushing the plate down, and then you put the batteries in, while sliding the door into place, the negative contacts may somehow touch both batteries at once or something and cause a hard short. I can't picture this clearly as I don't have the box yet but from hearing it, it seems to make sense how this could happen. Thoughts?

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
So who sells these Limewell clones?

Purchased mine on ebay, seller issued a full refund and told me to keep the box. Apparently he had 20+ returns of the 50ish he sold. All from Limewell.

Anyway, I just watched MikeVapes on youtube's review of the actual Focalecig Dos Equis clone and he said he was instructed to install the batteries first before the atty every time. Some people in the comments disagreed with him and said to do it the other way. I think this is an important point. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it is in fact important to install the batteries first and then the atty because if the atty is pushing the plate down, and then you put the batteries in, while sliding the door into place, the negative contacts may somehow touch both batteries at once or something and cause a hard short. I can't picture this clearly as I don't have the box yet but from hearing it, it seems to make sense how this could happen. Thoughts?

Todd, in his review states to attach the atty first, before inserting the batteries. If you put the atty on afterwards, you run the risk of pushing the positive bar down far enough to dead short the batteries. I sent a message to JDTECH, and I am awaiting his response. Both for the v1, and v2.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I just ordered the SS clone from focalecig about a week ago (hasn't shipped yet :() on an impulse buy with a coupon at about 27 bucks shipped. Anyway, I never read much about it before, I'd just seen it everywhere and knew the authentic was from the Philippines so I thought a 1:1 clone would be an awesome piece. So after I ordered it I did a little research and I found someone (forgot who already) who said that you shouldn't use an atty without a protruding center pin (much like you would not with any hybrid mech mod), and that JDTech (the original manufacturers) do not recommend building below 0.5 ohms on it! This is bad news for me as I currently enjoy building around 0.17-0.25 on all my mechs. I don't see how this would be an issue but I'm still trying to find more info on the subject.

It would be much appreciated if this thread can wake up and some of the authentic or clone owners could chime in on their personal experiences and/or research with this mod.

I am curious, does it say why they limit it to 0.5? Surely with a mech of this type the limitations would purely be down to the safety of the batteries?

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I am curious, does it say why they limit it to 0.5? Surely with a mech of this type the limitations would purely be down to the safety of the batteries?
Idk, but from all the reviews I've seen they've all got builds from 0.1-0.3 ohms on it and don't say anything about any warnings to stay above 0.5 [emoji53]

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
DTech (the original manufacturers) do not recommend building below 0.5 ohms on it! This is bad news for me as I currently enjoy building around 0.17-0.25 on all my mechs.

Idk, but from all the reviews I've seen they've all got builds from 0.1-0.3 ohms on it and don't say anything about any warnings to stay above 0.5
emoji53.png

I've seen no mention from JDTECH on the .5 build limit. Being a parallel mod, that .5 build limit seems way off.
Running parallel coils @ .24Ω, have not had any issues.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
So guys I finally got my dog equis today. Was pretty pleased on first looking at it, nice and clean and smaller than I expected. I was quite surprised to see this as the "510"

acb6d02e84e5803a29269afa72bd4ed2.jpg

Looks like focalecig added this little nipple on the copper plate to raise above and meet the 510 of your atty to mitigate the hard short hybrid problem. Am I right in assuming this?

Anyway, I proceeded to excitedly screw my atty in flush, and then place two fully charged 18650s in and struggled a little to get the door in place but eventually got it on. Ready for a good vape,I pressed the button annnnnnnnnnddddd nothing....absolutely nothing. I unscrewed my atty and screwed it back in to try again, nada.

Sooo a little ...... off, I took it apart to examine it. Two aluminum pieces for the top and bottom with the bottom attached to the metal bending plate. Now, I know that this won't make much sense without photos, I'll take more tonight when I get off. I didn't have time to mess with this thing before work even though I wanted to take it with me. In the mean time, has anyone here taken theirs apart with pics? The top has a metal plate as well so it looks like when u press the button it depresses the bottom metal plate that's connected to the negative of the batteries so that it touches the other metal plate that's attached to the top aluminum piece. But it doesn't appear that anything touches the plate that is touching the positive ends of the batteries except for the positive pin of my atty. Now I'm no expert, and I'm probably just not visualizing this right, but I just don't see how the circuit is closing. And obviously there is a problem because it doesn't work.

I need help.

BTW I also noticed something else weird while it was open. My top plate is copper and on top of it is this thin clear plastic sticker thing with a little circle cutout where the 510 "pin" sticks out. It's almost like tape. I just don't see what purpose this serves and if that plate ever gets hot, I can't imagine this thin piece of tape not melting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread