Dow chemical refusing to supply Propylene Glycol to e-cigarette industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
Here's the link re that policy. It's not dated so I don't know if it's an older policy re e-cigs or if that's a recent addendum. It basically describes various "unsupported" uses of PG, including e-cigs, and declares that they'll neither sample nor knowingly supply it for those purposes, and will "exit" sales if same is discovered.
Also don't know if other chem companies follow suit, or how much of our PG is supplied by Dow.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/ PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_030e/0901b8038030e4cf.pdf?filepath=propyleneglycol/pdfs/noreg/117-01801.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Also, if you google 'electronic cigarette' within the Dow site you'll find a very negative description, apparently addressed to employees.

Last edited:

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
Looks like they never did in the first place. Oh, no! They will continue to not supply PG to the e-cig industry...

It did appear that way to me. I haven't heard anything about 'concern' pressure (rather than overt regulation) being placed on chem companies that way; it is an alarming thought, but I dunno how far that'd get.

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
There is a .... pile of money to be made supplying PG for eCigs if Dow Chemical and others won't do it, and it remains legal to do so. Worst case, we move to VG and distilled water. Best case, a few up and comers swallow that corner of the market with a focus on PG specifically for eCigs.

Maybe Dow shouldn't be in the PG for ecig business anyhow. They should stick to things they know like running the Army's Edgewood Chemical Weapons Arsenal.

Last edited:

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
Another quick search; Dekang and other Chinese e-liquid claims that their "solvent" is supplied by Dow, as recently as July 2014.

Also an ECF discussion of PG with mention of Dow by Rolygate here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/455394-glycerine-vapor-acrolein-issues.html

According to Rolygate, who has creds, Dow was (is?) probably supplying the safest and best PG.

So "Dow, Shell (semi-confirmed that on their website*) and one other" have bailed on PG sales for e-cig juice... ?

Really, yeah, that doesn't bode well at all. :( :(

*I couldn't find explicit statement re restricting supply re Shell; here, under "safety" they state that use for e-cigarettes is not supported.
http://www.propylene-glycol.com/what-is-propylene-glycol/safety

Last edited:

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Seems like a standard liability disclaimer. PG has not been specifically tested for long-term, higher quantity inhalation so they will not specifically sell it for that purpose. Suppose someone vapes it, has an allergic reaction and then sues them? A number of flavoring manufacturers have the same disclaimers. They won't stop you from using it, but for legal reasons, they state that it's not for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread