Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
We have just finished the final prototype for the next mod. This one is from a solid block of limbfall black wattle and although the photos don't really show the wood is a pinkish silver grey wood. The original raw timber is in the background of the group photo. The finish is multiple coats of Aussieoil, cured for about a week and then buffed to a high gloss finish.

The mod itself is a kicked 18490 mod and is small and easy to hold. These prototype are lovely as they are :p

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
A better photo for you

image.jpg

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
We have spent a lot of time prototyping size/shape/finish to get to a place where we could cut this special mod. I am stunned. She is almost to pretty to use.

Today we finished it. She is called the CrissCross Sirocco. She is a kicked 18490 stabilised olive wood box mod. The wood is coated with a protective coat of Danish oil and then 6 coats of cured varnish buffed back after each coat. The finish will continue to cure over the next week or so.

CrissCross - Sirocco

The process shots (for those interested)

First cut

Shaping and rounding

Last edited:

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
We finally finished the brother mod for Sirocco

This mod (left) has panels made from the same block of stabilised olive burl with red gum outer panels and swamp water pinstripe, cap and base.

CrissCross - Rex

That was fun and the final mod in the series. I learnt a lot and I hope you have enjoyed the journey with us. :p

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
I seriously have mod envy right now! :D
Those are absolutely beautiful Krisma! You are very lucky have a hubby that likes woodworking.
My hubby and I do knife handles...maybe one day we will venture into mod making.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I seriously have mod envy right now! :D
Those are absolutely beautiful Krisma! You are very lucky have a hubby that likes woodworking.
My hubby and I do knife handles...maybe one day we will venture into mod making.

Thank you. I pass on all the compliments and he is cuffed by them all. I drooled over all the stunning mods people were making around the place and I knew that the only way to get them just for me was to make them. Hubby has had a lot of fun doing these. They are intricate enough to keep the learning process going and yet small enough to be very economical to make.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Now that mine are all finished he started playing with some for himself. I think I have created a monster :p

Some early shots. The finish might change the look quite a bit. The back cover is very thinly laminated to stop some of the warping that occurs. They are a reverse set and look quite elegant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread