Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Expertly crafted professional looking pieces. Inspiring.

Puts my woodwork to shame. One day I would love to be able to craft something like these!

Could you please let me know what tools he uses to carve out the inside part so precisely?
Edit: A full list of tools would be an added bonus!

Sure. He uses sliding tables and jigs (for accuracy) that he made for each machine. The drum sander is homemade from a dryer motor and plywood structure with sanding spindle and side disc that are made from plywood circular segments. This drum sander and side disc also has sliding tables and attachments to give accuracy. Personally I think he likes making the jigs more than the actual piece :p

(Square mods)

Cut to oversize with either small bandsaw or tablesaw (depending on the wood)

Drill press. For the battery channel.... Start with a 19mm Forstner bit (multiple holes in a line) to remove the bulk of the excess. then a semi circle router head (in the drill press) to work the channel. He has built a drill press table with slides and jigs to help manoeuvre the piece. The thin channel for the wires is made from a small drill bit and same method and is dependent on the wire size you use.

They are a bit small and light to accurately use an router plus the stabilised wood gets too warm so you have to take it too slow. Can be done with a dremel but is a bit messy and again the speed becomes an issue.

Switch and 510 connector holes are again the drillpress. He fashioned some basic spanner type tools to tighten once inside.
Instead of soldering he fashioned little copper terminal caps for the switches that are press fit to the switch terminals. If you were making this for heavier use you would use a mosfet and soldering but it is not necessary for my style of vaping.

The drum sander is then used to bring back to correct dimensions, with the side disc sander to get the rounded edges.

Once complete and tested, magnets are added to drilled holes, size is dependent on your magnets.

The boxes are then buffed to within an inch of their life :) using a home made buffing wheel.

Boxes are then finished in chosen product. Stabilised wood worked well with poly varnish.

Hope this helps.

A pic of his workshop. He has since added a reconditioned wood lathe and scroll saw.

Last edited:

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
That helps a lot! I'm still building my tool collection for woodworking, but I have a lot of what you mentioned.

I guess there's a lot of Googling in my future for building these jigs you speak of. Seems like most of the work is in the prep before a hole or cut is even made.

Outstanding reply. You are awesome.

Reactions: Katdarling

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
That helps a lot! I'm still building my tool collection for woodworking, but I have a lot of what you mentioned.

I guess there's a lot of Googling in my future for building these jigs you speak of. Seems like most of the work is in the prep before a hole or cut is even made.

Outstanding reply. You are awesome.

Good luck with it, the jigs are built to hold the pieces at particular angles to get the right cuts that give them particular shapes. Because he builds trinket and jewellery boxes that need accurate angles, shapes and corners they were perfect for this type of construction. The challenge with building these is the thought process around the order of the steps required to get the right cuts.

He is self taught over years of playing around and there are some wonderful YouTube folks that you can learn from. He gets a kick out of making things he needs rather than going out and buying. And of course in a lot of cases we are using scrap wood so it does not cost a lot to play around and discover what works and what doesn't.

JoeVan

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
NC
Good luck with it, the jigs are built to hold the pieces at particular angles to get the right cuts that give them particular shapes. Because he builds trinket and jewellery boxes that need accurate angles, shapes and corners they were perfect for this type of construction. The challenge with building these is the thought process around the order of the steps required to get the right cuts.

He is self taught over years of playing around and there are some wonderful YouTube folks that you can learn from. He gets a kick out of making things he needs rather than going out and buying. And of course in a lot of cases we are using scrap wood so it does not cost a lot to play around and discover what works and what doesn't.

I'm self taught too, but not nearly that good. One day I'll get there. The finish on those is unreal! He could sell those easily for hundreds each.

I am going to give one of these boxes a shot (getting a 2ftx2ft block of cherry from my boss next week), and if it turns out half as good I'll be ecstatic.

I just finished this one. My first DIY mod:
346qlvb.jpg

(It still needs sanding and 2 more coats of poly.)

What grit would your hubby recommend to finish this off to a mirror shine? I have 600 and 800 in my shop.

Reactions: Katdarling

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I'm self taught too, but not nearly that good. One day I'll get there. The finish on those is unreal! He could sell those easily for hundreds each.

I am going to give one of these boxes a shot (getting a 2ftx2ft block of cherry from my boss next week), and if it turns out half as good I'll be ecstatic.

I just finished this one. My first DIY mod:
346qlvb.jpg

(It still needs sanding and 2 more coats of poly.)

What grit would your hubby recommend to finish this off to a mirror shine? I have 600 and 800 in my shop.

It's beautiful. :thumbs:

He found the really high grits (micro mesh) through a lapidary supply (stone polishing) house that is local but the best thing he ever found out about was the buffing, he bought a three stage buffing set of blocks and set up the buffing mops originally on an old grinder and that brings the wood to a mirror finish before you put your coats of varnish or lacquer. We had some good results before but once we started buffing they became piano polish quality.

We found the actual making of the boxes the easy part. Finishing takes time and you can't rush it. :p

Reactions: JoeVan

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Buffing mops! This is an "Ahh" moment for me.

Treat it just like auto-body.

I can pick up those buffing mops and super high grit emery cloth at the auto parts store.

You have been awesome, thanks for the replies.
LOL it was for him as well. When you use local gums and limbfall wood, sanding becomes tricky because of the splintering and months of trying out different oils, waxes and methods buffing was the key. I don't know what brands are available to you so my links would be a bit useless. He got the hang of it very quickly :thumbs:

Oh I forgot... He found the buffing creams too gluggy (pasted) and switched to the solid blocks very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread