Dr. OZ is saying E-Cigs safe....will air today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I saw the interview this morning and, for what it's worth, it was generally positive. No link to video on myfoxatlanta.com at the moment. He stated that he could see the benefits for people who are already smokers. Then echoed what they aired last Friday: concern about children having easy access, greater numbers reporting use, and potential to be a gateway to real cigarettes. He very carefully neither endorsed or condemned.

On the kids thing, I agree. Call me old fashioned or whatever, vaping products should not be sold to under 21 just like tobacco. It's a less bad habit to pick up, certainly not something to encourage young people to get started on. I would stop short of calling vaping a gateway to smoking. Get someone hooked on good nicotine and tobacco is much more readily available. Although access to over the counter vape supplies has really taken off recently.

After talking about vaping, he went on to promote this week's upcoming episode where he dresses like a woman and goes shoe shopping. Brilliant.

Last edited:

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I thought you had to be 18 to buy smokes? Ha, in my day you did and I'm 35.
Could be. When I bought my early packs, nobody checked ID for smokes regardless of what the law was. So I never kept up with it to tell the truth.

I'm not saying that laws will prevent minors from getting them. It's not like it's really been 100% with alcohol, synthetic controlled substances, hookah bars, and the like. But it does discourage and give law enforcement a tool to use against irresponsible vendors. The responsible ones already are careful to screen buyers, if even for appearance sake, and tend not to market directly to children.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
I've said this before and although it probably won't be a popular opinion around here, I believe in it firmly. I really don't think we're going to see an appreciable number of kids taking up vaping because the "cool factor" just isn't there. Despite the best efforts of that guy in the Blu commercial, puffing on an e-cig just doesn't look very badass. Cigalikes look like toys and bigger, better PVs look like marital aids or somethin'.

I'm glad about this. But I detest Dr. Oz. He will promote any whack-a-doodle thing that comes his way. Whether what he says is actually science based is completely a coincidental occurrence. If he does say e-cigs are okay, it will be a mark in their favor, but only because so many people think he actually has a clue what he's talking about.

Sorry, I'm very hard on Dr. Oz, but he perpetuates pseudoscience. Drives me crazy.

This is what I was thinking. I don't watch Dr. Oz, but it's hard to miss the ten bajillion commercials a week about him. And he changes his mind CONSTANTLY. Constantly. He's just a talking ad for whatever's cool at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that he's about to say something positive about vaping, but he might just say the direct opposite a month from now. At which time the masses will turn on a dime to follow that "new, updated" advice.

So...not to be a downer, but...this may be a temporary "win" if it's a win at all.

As I said, I am glad something positive may be said about vaping, it can't hurt, I just wouldn't hang my star on Dr. Oz to get the positive view of vaping momentum going.

upsetter21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
Alameda, CA
Even the PBS stations syndicated the kid story about vape use doubling. They portrayed it as though it's a threat to young ppl. Then, almost under-the-breath, state that interest in young ppl toward smoking is at a historical low, and the doubling was from %1 to 2%. Same as %1 Milk containing 1/2 the fat as Skim Milk, but calories aren't discussed. Nevermind mentioning that the new 1% would have started smoking but chose the healthier alternative. So even "public" media isn't able to tell the story with a tone of honesty. Sad.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
I've said this before and although it probably won't be a popular opinion around here, I believe in it firmly. I really don't think we're going to see an appreciable number of kids taking up vaping because the "cool factor" just isn't there. Despite the best efforts of that guy in the Blu commercial, puffing on an e-cig just doesn't look very badass. Cigalikes look like toys and bigger, better PVs look like marital aids or somethin'.

I beg to differ with you on that, its a fine line.
PV's look like marital aids......................lmao ALERT ALERT FREAK FREAK ALERT!!!!!
I so couldn not resist

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I've said this before too, wearing your pants around the middle of your .... looks like an idiot dressed you but they still do wear them that way :rolleyes:
Just because something doesn't look "cool" to us doesn't mean a lot when you are talking about kids. In fact, the opposite is true. The less cool it looks to us, the more the kids are drawn to whatever it is.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia

I don't totally disagree with you. However, what I've personally seen with younger (not necessarily "kids," just young) people vaping, it trends toward the hipster / alternative / geek crowd. So maybe a reduced following versus the general coolness factor that existed once upon a time, but substantial nonetheless.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I don't like Dr Oz but many I know do like him and I can say a few good things about him.

The biggest good thing is he is willing to come back after finding new information and flat out admit he was wrong. Good example is one mentioned so far. At first he was of the mind that GMO's aren't bad. I know someone who is a GMO hater and Dr Oz fan. Apparently he has since come back and said, in essence, it has gone too far and some of it is bad. (and yes, selective breeding is a type of GMO. It may not be on the same level as gene splicing, pesticide infusion or hormone enhancement but that doesn't change the truth. If you hate the gene splicing element so much, never eat corn since as we know it corn doesn't exist in nature.)

Also he won't deny the possibility that things outside the big pharma style of medical treatment might have legitimate potential (and from what I hear even promotes it).

The final good thing I will say of him, when I have seen him (which isn't much) he clearly states when he is stepping outside of science and giving opinion. Some people don't hear it but at least he says it. This needs to happen more in both the scientific and medical community. I don't know how many times I've heard well respected scientists state opinions and beliefs without regard to the fact some people will interpret it as fact.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Well, since Oz is probably not a practicing physician anymore, he doesn't have to stick to the standards of practice convention. The SOP's call for medical health professionals to only prescribe or recommend therapies that are already approved for that particular purpose. They can discuss other options, which can include electronic cigarettes and snus, but only in the arena of helping the patient make an informed decision about his/her own personal health.

This is what my doc did when I asked him about e-cigs. He told me that he could not specifically recommend them, and told me about the standard NRT therapies. When I told him that none of those had worked before, he again said that he couldn't specifically recommend them, then launched into about a five minute discussion about what they knew and didn't know about e-cigs, and that if I was serious about quitting, I should consider them after learning all I could about them.

Had he specifically recommended them to me, and had I gotten sick for any reason at all related to my 35-year, 2PAD habit, he would have been open to malpractice litigation and his malpractice insurance would have stepped out of the way, leaving him wide open for financial ruin.

Sadly, he could have dismissed my questions with a wave of his hand and prescribed Chantix. Had I given into the pyschological side effects of that nasty medication, he would have been totally immune because Chantix is an approved therapy and within the SOP's.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Could be. When I bought my early packs, nobody checked ID for smokes regardless of what the law was. So I never kept up with it to tell the truth.

I'm not saying that laws will prevent minors from getting them. It's not like it's really been 100% with alcohol, synthetic controlled substances, hookah bars, and the like. But it does discourage and give law enforcement a tool to use against irresponsible vendors. The responsible ones already are careful to screen buyers, if even for appearance sake, and tend not to market directly to children.

Hell, in my day they were sold in vending machines, in restaurants, and malls, and just about anywhere there was 6 sq ft space that people might walk by that wasn't being used....

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
LOL!!!...Well if you recognized good ole Artie, you're up there to Soba....."Sock it to me"

Lol I'm 53 and I remember when that show came on we would be eating dinner and my father would watch that
show, I'm guessing he may have been in his early to mid 40's when that show was on. Now I'm wondering
if he watched it for the comedy or the hot chicks dancing in their bikinis.
Or here come da judge here come da judge.....
Wow it feels good to remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread