Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Not sure what you were even thinking a 2/3 wrap would actually vape, let alone decently... I think common sense would tell you, (or anyone), before you even put the coil in, this is going to burn, very hot, very quickly!!! Good thing you learned something from it though.

I looked at the deck and didn't think it was big enough for 28ga and I was shooting for something around 1 ohm. 32ga was a poor choice for sure! I looked at it and thought "That's probably not going to work well, but it's on there, so what the heck?" I had a good idea it wasn't going to work well, but like I said, it was built!

Reactions: EddieAdams

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You did that to? I don't feel like such a heel now!:lol::lol::lol: ...

I Don't Care How Long someone has been a Member here, or How Many different types of Hardware someone has used, we have ALL pulled a Homer at one time or Another.

:p

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I looked at the deck and didn't think it was big enough for 28ga and I was shooting for something around 1 ohm. 32ga was a poor choice for sure! I looked at it and thought "That's probably not going to work well, but it's on there, so what the heck?" I had a good idea it wasn't going to work well, but like I said, it was built!

You've seen this site... Right?

Coil wrapping

It's Cool to plug in Different types of Wires and do "What If's".

KYBLUE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Still feeling out the Dripbox. Moved away from the Derringer. Was sucking juice too often.

Dug out my Velocity with BF pin to give it a go. Put a ~.45Ω 26g kanthal dual coil build in it. Pretty good vape but it seemed the airy Velocity needed more.

Replaced it with a ~.2Ω 36g nickel over twisted 28g kanthal dual coil build. The Dripbox didn't have the power to push this build. Over a second ramp up time.

Next up was a single 3.5mm iJoy TSS coil(notch) from Lightning Vapes. They read .16Ω on the iStick 100w TC. These things do indeed heat up instantly, like 28 or 30 gauge kanthal coils.

With the air slots aligned at a 45 degree angle to the coil I am getting ample vapor and decent flavor but it requires a really deep draw to keep the heat in check. Not my all day vape style but good when I desire a cloudy experience. I'm thinking these coils would shine on a single coil center air feed atty like the Serpent.

Looking forward to the Wismec, Iwodevape and Demon Killer notch coils from FT for further adventures.

A pic of the iJoy coil after vaping nearly a full bottle on the Dripbox. After seeing the pic I think trimming the tails might improve this build by getting more air to the coil.

velocinotch.jpg

ENJOY

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
You've seen this site... Right?

Coil wrapping

It's Cool to plug in Different types of Wires and do "What If's".

Yeah, and I've got a couple of apps on my phone even, but I've never had them come out that well, using screwdrivers, etc, to wrap around. Once I get my full coil master kit I'll be closer to reality with those apps. Like I say, by the time I was in, I was in too deep to stop, so I ran with it, knowing it probably wasn't going to end well!
Nice coil KYBLUE! Once my wire gets here I hope to try my hand at some Clapton's.

Reactions: EddieAdams

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yeah, for the Chalice, I'd throw something like a 6 wrap 28 gauge coil, probably 2mm diameter, around 1 ohm.
And personally, I did wispy wick, and squonked it every 2 hits or so...

TIP: Check the resistance ONE MORE TIME after putting the CAP ON.
There is NO room at the edge, and a tiny little bit of wire wrapped around the screw has shorted out a mod for MANY Chalice vapers!!

It is a great flavor atty for sure, but I grew to like a bit more airflow than I could get from it...

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
On the chalice, I like 30AWG @ 1.7 ohms, built close to the posts. I found I get a lot less problems with this build than trying to build with thicker wire. I don't use much cotton and squonk often. Works well as a low wattage atty. Check the resistance with the cap on before firing on a mech.

Reactions: sawlight

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
View attachment 551153 I was not at all happy with the Dripbox but I put in two hammered clapton coils that deliver 2.5 ohms total (close to the stock coils) and Wow, the flavor is much improved.

You also raised the coils, which IMO helps tremendously! With the stock coils buried down in the wicks with the stock build, it's no wonder why people complain about spit back!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Too many factors, your juice, nicotine level, how you have the AFC set up, so on. As I said earlier, raising the coils up on the stock atty does wonders for flavor! Get them up about the same height as the posts and put the air holes in line with the coils and it changes the way the atty works! I'm on 36mg, so it's too much for me and my juice, and I'm a MTL vapor, so it just didn't suit me well.
Speaking of MTL, I got my Kloud and Velocity mini clones in today, finally! Hope to build them up this afternoon and try them out. I've got to watch some videos on the Kloud, looks like you need to take the plastic part out to even be able to build on it.

cynetinc

Sep 27, 2008
Hey guys, I've a question. I received mine yesterday, this is my first Kanger since the dawn of vaping, so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. My fire button feels a bit wobbly and I had it stuck in the firing position like 3 times yesterday. I played a little with it (pressed it a few dozen times,) and it's better now, but it just doesn't feel right, like it's not centered on the spring properly, makes a bit of rattle when brushing my finger against it. What do guys think? Should it go back or can it be ignored? I'm not sure.. :unsure:

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I like to vape at .7, .8 or 1.0 Ohm's. How will this thing play with those?
Me too... Got one on the way so I gotta figure something out :) I don't do dual coil either so it's going to get interesting real fast for me. Ugh... I wanna make it work so if someone can direct me- I would aporeciate it so much!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Me too... Got one on the way so I gotta figure something out :) I don't do dual coil either so it's going to get interesting real fast for me. Ugh... I wanna make it work so if someone can direct me- I would aporeciate it so much!

I've got a .8 build on mine, with Kanthal. Raise the coils up so they are at an even height with the air holes and position them towards the outside, close to the air holes, and it works pretty decent. Anything higher than that, I didn't have much luck with. It's just too airy with the stock atty to work with that little heat.

cynetinc

Sep 27, 2008
I'd say take it back, that doesn't sound normal and mind certainly doesn't act like that, I think you got a dud!

Thanks, think I'll do exactly that. 101vape were excellent to talk with as far as RMA goes, I just thought it was typical for the mod. Otherwise, it's a great toy, would be sad to see it go, but hey! :)

Reactions: budynbuick

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Thanks, think I'll do exactly that. 101vape were excellent to talk with as far as RMA goes, I just thought it was typical for the mod. Otherwise, it's a great toy, would be sad to see it go, but hey! :)
Well, if it isn't right now, it's probably only going to get worse. Best to get one that is right.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Yeah... I would contact your retailer about doing a Return.

A Little Rattle is one thing. A Stuck Button is something Completely Different.

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread