Dripping...I don't get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kremppie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
McKinney TX
Another place to get attys is EmpireMods. They have "bridgeless" attys that work very well and the juice has no choice but to head to the coil.

I love to drip and always have time to. I like to pop the drip tip off, drip 2-3 drops, pop the tip back on and vape my face off till I have to drip again :). I use 306's most of the time and get them here: Avid Vaper : Personal Vaporizers and Accessories. They have the "Cisco-spec's and last quite a while.

Empiremods has great drip shields and GoodSense Vapor - Welcome has the DCA for the 306's and is what's on my provari
currently :). Hope this helps! :vapor:

Thanks, I wondered what the bridgeless was supposed to do. What is a bottom feeder?

Kremppie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
McKinney TX
A bottom feeder is a mod that has a juice bottle built in and has a tube going from the bottle to the connector. Squonking (pressing) the bottle pushes e liquid through the connector and into the atty/carto. And its genius too.

Oh...I have seen one of those! I think I will look into ordering one of them. I will see if I can find any reviews. THANKS!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I could never get into dripping, myself. Of all the preconceived ideas of ignorant people thinking that an APV having the appearance of drug paraphanalia, I have to admit to a little of that when I think of someone dripping. Something about it that makes me think of an addict cooking his stash in a silver spoon. But that's just me. I'm the ignorant fool.

I'm mainly a tank person. I have several DCT tanks and a few pyrex tubes. Just got my first 3 Smoktech clearo tanks, waiting for some new juice to arrive before trying them out.

I use the tiny CE3 clearos to test new juices in to avoid wasting an entire carto or tank with one. I can remove the juice if I don't like it, rinse it with water, and refill it with another juice.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Evie... I usually get 5 hits per drop... and I couldn't figure out why, as others tend to get just 2/3 hits per drop and I just get that myself when using clearos.

So, thinking about it a bit... I have finally come to the conclusion... that when I vape from dripping... I vape like a fiend. Short quick vapes (like a cigarette) and that means smaller hits but, I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. Have difficulty stopping, and have to 'come up for air' every once in a while.

If you are getting bad taste... I would suggest trying to go with more drops. When I first started dripping with drip tips, was going with 2-3 drops like I had been doing when dripping by popping the mouthpiece and dripping directly into the open bridge atty wick. But, going to drip tips now with higher wattage, I usually go with 5-7 drops. With this, the heat generated is spread over more EJ and the flavor comes back. Yeah, ya gotta try to avoid the juice leaking through the bottom that is all.

Chookychuck

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
USA, GA
Glad ur getting a feel for it Evie... i seem to get i think 4-6 hits, but about 3 seem hits seem good. I am still learning tho ... about 2/3 of the time dripping works ok, the other third, i either end up burning or flooding. Both just distracting but its nice to try something new sometimes. I really like some sort of tank, carto or something continuous BUT i do want to be good enough drippin to sample my new stuff before i fill a whole 1ml of something i am unsure of.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have figured out that one drop does about two draws for me...so trying to keep count to avoid the bad taste.
How many draws you get per drop varies a lot. It depends on the type of atty (306, 510, 901, 510-t, etc.). It depends on the resistance (SR, LR, or HR). It depends on the individual batch of atties, the quality and accuracy of resistance of that batch from that manufacturer. It also depends on how clean or gunked up the atty is and on how old and worn out it is.

When I have a really good SR 306, I can vape on it for at least 10 minutes. But, that's when everything is perfect. Perfect atomizer, perfectly clean and working at its best.

If it's getting dirty, it won't last as long. One time, I got a bad batch of 306's that must have been a slightly lower resistance. I could get 2 or 3 puffs, then suddenly hot! I got rid of them.

SR 306 and 510-t drip better than most. Because they're standard resistance, they seem to burn up the juice more slowly and last longer between drips. And, SR atties aren't as likely as the LR to get suddenly hot. They're more likely to get a little dry first, but not too hot, too suddenly. That gives you a warning to drip more before any unpleasantness.

But, each individual atty will be slightly different.

It was just dumb luck that I stumbled upon the SR 306 way back when I first started vaping. If I had the bad experiences with them that I had later, I would have given up on dripping from the start!

Good luck, and happy vaping!

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
DancingHeretik...

I used to use Joye 306 SR atties almost exclusively but now, have almost completly given up on them.

The problem... with dripping... you don't need a wick and it is almost impossible to remove the wicks on the Joye 306s as the wick runs in between the wire mesh and the bridge.

When I started using drip tips, the Joye 306 SRs worked (albeit, you always run into the problem of atties getting clogged), but were kinda slow. So, what I did was get a neddle nosed pliers and on some, ripped the entire bridge off as well as the wick. Was kinda concerned about this as there just might be some stray metal that might come through on the vape (maybe I am being overly concerned on this) but otherwise, they seemed to vape better.

But, I then got cisco atties and, easy enough to remove the wicks on these, and you can get 1.5 ohms (which I feel is too low resistance for my egos), 1.8, 2.0 and higher. I tried the 2.0 some but have settled on the 1.8s. The only problem with the ciscos, is they tend to drop in resistance as you use them so, I tend to keep a close eye on their resistance as time moves along.

With the Joye 306 SRs, had 10-15 or so of them in Blu E-Packs... one for each juice that I was vaping. But, there was the problem of atties getting clogged so, have pretty much gone to clearos (and before that boges) for most of the juice I vape... with only the few that do not clog up atties being used when dripping. Possible I might go back to trying the 306 SRs again... particularly if I get a hypersound cleaner and that works as far as cleaning atties... but I dunno. The vision clearos (with the replacable atties) that I recently got work pretty good... almost as good as dripping.

Z

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
I havent read through this whole thread so i apologize if any of this has been mentioned already. My experience with direct atty dripping has been on and off since i started vaping. Lately ive been going with boge cartos on my reo grand mostly due to cost and conveniance but, for me, nothing has ever exceeded the taste and amount of vapor of a good 306. ive tried many cheap 510 and 306 atties and i gotta say that when you go for the cheapest ones your experience will be very hit or miss. Then again, even when you buy from vendors that guarantee no dead on arrival atties, theres no way of telling how they will wick. When all else fails with an atty, if youre dripping plenty of juice on it (to the point where it gets a little gurgly but not huffing eliquid into your throat) and its still not getting good flavor I usually go ahead and try to remove some wick material (carefully with a pair of tweezers). After that i rinse it out with water, blow it out, let it dry and start the priming process over again. If still no good then i debridge it and try removing more wick. Though when you do this it tends not to hold as much liquid so you need to drip more often. It's really a process and takes some time to get the hang of. That's why for beginners I recommend boge cartos seeing as theyre very consistent for the most part as long as you keep them wet.

As far as the whole "you get what you pay for" its not always true. Some vendors charge high prices for cheap product. Look up reviews and buy from vendors that are known to have good quality stuff. Ikenvape, avid vaper, etc. I hear good things about the io6 but havent tried it yet. Made my first order yesterday so will let yas know ;) Starting to get bored of the somewhat muted taste of cartomizers.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I went and got some IO6es and... they are NOT 306 sized attys. Instead, they are open bridge 510 sized attys.

I put them under 10x magnification and, the coils do not seem to be as uniform as what I see in the ciscos. But, of course, the ciscos tend to lose resistance as you use them and that may be due to the fact that the turns in the coil are touching one another.

The IO6es I got are sitting in a box and I have not tried them.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
What it comes down to is that vaping will never be as simple as just lighting up. Some days or even for months, it's absolutely great! Other times, it's so frustrating!

One thing, or several things, may work perfectly for a long time. Then one day everything stops working right. Juice doesn't taste right/clogs atties. Atties, cartos, and tanks - none of them work quite right.

I'll never again depend on just one way of doing things, not even something so simple and seemingly full-proof as dripping on a 306. I keep many things available. Many types of juice delivery system and many back-ups.

Another thing I've learned is to not try too hard to make something work. Don't be afraid to just throw it away if it's not quite right anymore. I'm old and not used to living in a disposable world. But, things really ARE disposable. They wear out and need to be replaced. That's been the hardest part for me to adjust to.

Sorry for the rant. All better now.

Kremppie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
McKinney TX
I agree with having backup, and different ways to vape. Somedays there is not the time to experiment, or I just don't feel like it. My hubby always says, "one is none, and two is one". The day I left the house with only one ego battery that died, that was his comment to me. Now I have a backup, and a backup for the backup!

Lt. Col. Killjoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2011
Warsaw, Indiana
I just realized this very day that while I'm at home, I'm a dripper. When I'm out doing things I'll stick to my carto tanks, but the better flavor is worth the inconvenience of dripping when I'm relaxing at home. That being said, can someone suggest a good dripping atty? I was thinking maybe a cannon from ikenvape. Are there attys that will hold more drops without flooding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread