Drug Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valentine92

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
PA
I am going for a job interview next week and if all goes well they will send me for a drug test. Just wondering if anyone has taken a drug test since vaping. All I do is vape nothing else I just want to make sure I dont have anything to worry about. I know the list of ingredients in the juice but was just wondering if anyone ever ran into a problem? I know some things cause false positive results and I am just hoping that vaping isnt one of them.

I know medication will show up but I am taking nothing, zero zip nada.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
I don't know anything about the drug testing and I'm guessing that they can target specific drugs, therefore they may include nicotine to conclude that you smoke cigarettes and therefore charge you more for your health care benefits. If this happens (and I know a company that does this) then you'll have to request additional tests to prove otherwise.

But do keep us informed about anything they may say that they did find in their testing. This "drug testing" is definately one for the books as it would be good to know exacty what they may find in the results.

:thumb:

ryanSTi

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Harwinton, CT
It also depends on they type of drug test. They can do a "panel" test with a strip and see if there's any illicit drugs (thc, methamphetamine, ......., ......, opiates normal 5 panel, and they have single ones, and 3 panel, etc). However they can test using the mass spectrometer and look for almost anything.

Oh they do make a panel test for smoking cigarettes. I don't remember if it detects nicotine or tobacco.

You could be straightforward with them and ask them what they are looking for. You mention your on pain meds, so am I and I have been tested. As long as you have a valid prescription then there's nothing to worry about with them. If they tell you they're only looking for illegal drugs then you don't have to say anything else. If they tell you they're also testing to see if you smoke, I would pull out your e-cig and explain that you have quit smoking and only use this which contains nicotine. Explain how it works and what it does. After that I would probably try to tell them that I use it every hour to keep my nicotine level constant so you don't have withdrawals and want to go back to smoking and they may possibly be okay with you smoking on the job without taking an outside break (because, even if the law doesn't say you can't vape, it's really up to the management/owner what takes place at that business).

Any other questions, please let me know :)

doeit

Dec 16, 2009
al
I to have been worried about this, I made a post on the ask an expert section but it hasn't been approved yet. Although, mine was concerning the alcohol used in the liquids. I go to the methadone clinic everyday and get a random drug test once or more a month. I know they test for ETOH (alcohol) and everything else under the sun. I don't have the liquid or ecig I ordered yet so is there anyway to tell by smelling or anything if the liquid has alcohol in it? If its possible that I could test positive I would want to tell my councilor, but I have a feeling they will take it as an excuse for me to start drinking even though I never touch the stuff. Any help would be appreciated, as you can see this is a pretty big deal for me. If I did happen to test positive, it could really mess me over as far as my recovery from opiates is going.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have taken a random drug test at my job that includes a Breathalyzer and I can say for certain that the drug test used for federal employees do not hit for anything. I was snagged just after my break for a random test so I was out vaping just before the test. Breathalyzer cam back with nothing and I still have a job so I assume the drug test showed nothing as well. I use JC reduced PG liquid.

doeit

Dec 16, 2009
al
Yea I know they don't test for nicotine but I do know they test for alcohol. Thats the only thing that was worrying me. I might mention it to my councilor anyways and bring it in and show her when I get it maybe they will be understanding about it. Most of them are pretty good people up there. Its just the doctor who is greedy and picky about what shows up on the drug test.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
They test me for alcohol....I think ull be just fine ;)
I vape 6-10ml a day if that helps...
:) If ur unsure, Id maybe post an inquiry in Medical Information & Answers to Medical Questions - MedHelp forum to be absolutely sure. Alcohol also runs thru ur body so fast....If u know when ur test is, maybe just dont vape 20min before???

WonderfulMe

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Northern California
I remember reading on here that on breathalyzer tests smokers generally can test higher because they don't actually test for alcohol but a chemical from breaking down alcohol which is found in higher amounts in smokers, don't know if this applies to e-smoking though. Sorry I can't provide a link, just passing on info I read on here. If there is alcohol in your liquid, it may or may not come up in a pee test, I don't know (if they are even checking for alcohol) I would doubt it though, since alcohol is usually only in a small concentration in eliquid. You can always shoot your supplier an e-mail and check
Good Luck!

johnnyvapor- Nice avatar lol

doeit

Dec 16, 2009
al
They do the ETOH pee test at the clinic not the breathilyzer. The only info I found on the internet was about vaporized alcohol and breathilyzer (supposedly it said it doesn't show up on them). I am not sure if it will the pee test or not. I don't think the supplier I bought from uses alcohol. If they do it isn't listed that they do on their website. (tasty vapors) Also I never know when I am getting tested till I get there, and when I find out I am being tested I have to go straight to the back. I think I should be ok though. Out of all the people that are on this forum I am sure someone else gets the drug tests as often as me. Some have already posted up and said they haven't failed but there are alot of variables, considering some liquid doesn't even have alcohol and there are a few ways to test for alcohol.

doeit

Dec 16, 2009
al
Definately, I will let you guys and gals know. I have no idea when my next drug test is, but if everything goes smoothly I should have my ecig by friday (hopefully). I think I will let them know about it before I take my drug test just to be on the safe side and see what they say. If I wait and do happen to fail for some reason then that would cause alot of problems for me. Thanks for the replies everyone. Mia I have heard that too but it has to be a high concentration of seeds. They read opiates based by how much is found in your pee. If its under a certain amount they shrug it off. As far as the alcohol, I heard that also. If that wasn't true than people would fail when eating things cooked with wine. Although I don't know if it is true or if it would apply to vaping. There is a difference between inhaling the fumes of it and eating it after its cooked.

doeit

Dec 16, 2009
al
crashtestjeep I have an off topic question for you really quick though. You said you vape 6-10ml a day? That kinda scares me considering the 30ml bottles I bought were 15 dollars a piece. If thats the case and I turn out to smoke 6-10ml a day that would be almost as expensive as analogs. That doesn't even take into consideration extra atty's and such I would have to buy eventually.

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
I spent MANY years working in food service (restaurant/waitress/bartender/catering etc.) for years and I also have an Associate of Applied Science in VETERINARY medical technology. I know for a fact that the alcohol that shows up on a blood test is destroyed by the heat of cooking. So if you have some "coq au vin" or "bananas foster" etc. you are absolutely OK. If you eat foods containing poppy seeds (bagels, lemon poopyseed bread etc.) it only takes a few servings to cause a drug test to read positive for opiods!!!! Avoid POPPYSEEDS prior to drug tests!!!!! I have no idea how nicotine shows up- best to be up front about your use of a "personal nicotine vaporizer"!

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Avoid POPPYSEEDS prior to drug tests!!!!! I have no idea how nicotine shows up- best to be up front about your use of a "personal nicotine vaporizer"!
Few years back, I had a friend that was interviewing for a job with United...anyway, for their drug tests they flew them to O'hare and their united offices there...on the flight there they served poppyseed muffins for breakfast..boy was that a mess up...

Anyway..I go through a lot of drug tests and I do mean a lot in my trade and really you have nothing to worry about really..and you don't have to worry about taking your PV and explaining it to anyone pre test..the techs simply won't listen anyway...
Way it works is that you give em the sample and they split it into 2 usually...they test one and if anything comes up unusual and above the threshold (forget what the thresholds are, but some companies go a little stricter on those lvls) ...then a medical person ( I forget their official title is) calls you and says that they found something off and then asks what perscriptions you might be taking , they'll check the validity of the prescriptions and if everything adds up you're good, they might test the second sample using stricter protocols to get better details if you're popped on the first screen..
On most tests they don't test for nicotine, and alcohol is usually done via breathalyzer (and really the amount that some use to cut juice is negligable and would burn off in no time (figure cutting 36mg to 24mg using alcohol in place of water that'd be a whole 4 drops in 2 ml..spread out over the entire day)...anyway drug tests usually are 5 panel (Methamphetamine/Opiate/THC/......./Amphetamine) though some go up to 10 panel...though alot of employers and clinic labs are tending to go the cheap route and use the test strip tests that dont even register unless the drug is present above the standard minimums...

Like I said I have to submit to a lot of tests ...and I have a friend who works in a testing lab..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread