Dry burn first before filling a clearomizer for first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
It depends. Some used to ship with an oily substance to protect it during shipping. I think most companies don't use that now. Re-check that the info you read wasn't very old.

Who's brand of clearomizer do you have.. is it a filter or poly fill type or a ceramic ce2 type? Do you smell or see any oily residue?

There is a knack to dry burning. It takes time and experience for you to get it down without frying a coil. I'd hate to see you fry a new clearomiser before you even use it once.

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Do NOT dry burn a cartomizer. It does absolutely nothing but risk singeing the wick which ruins the carto. The biggest thing you have to worry about with a new carto is filling it correctly for the first fill, bc the first fill is very important. Most atomizers come with a primer in them that needs to be blown out, but with a carto, just make sure you fill it correctly

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
I have seen both the poly fill and the CE2 types advertised as "Clearomisers". You should not have to dry burn either one before using. You "can" dry burn both types to clean them after the coil starts to get gunked up. This prolongs the unit and makes it vape better when it starts to get old.

With a poly fill type you have to disassemble the unit and remove the poly fill wrapping before dry burning. Do not attempt to dry burn these with the poly fill around the coil. This process can be a pain in the but and it's hard to get it back together good.

With the CE2 type you can take it apart (To disassemble you just gently pull the plastic tube off while the base is anchored to your ecig. Do not pull on the center tube with ceramic coil, this can break your clearomiser.) and rinse it under running water, then dry the wicks with a paper towel and gently dry burn the unit till the coil starts to glow again burning off the gunk. Reassemble. I do this about once a week only after I start using them.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I don't dry burn my CE2 Clearomizers before initial use and haven't noticed any off taste. Previous revisions were said to have shipped with a primer type substance on the wick but I've never noticed it.

Doesn't hurt if you want to, these things can handle a dry burn if you don't go to far with it. I dry burn when cleaning them and have gotten up to 4 months use out of a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread