Dry burning issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I make very simple coils for my Toptank RBA with 28g wire. Nothing fancy, just single wire wraps. I have to rewick often because the juice I like is a gunker even though the cotton is fine, the coil gunks. I find that when I dry burn a few pulses on a new build I'm good and can rewick, but if I run it underwater to clean after a dry burn it becomes junk and just looses its taste. It almost seems like it rusts or something and the coating on the wire is completely gone. I can taste the difference and tastes burnt to me.

I use good quality wire that is common among the forum and wondering if there is a better way to clean my coils otherwise I'm having to change the build on my RBA more often than I like to.

EDIT: I'm using kanthal wire.

Last edited:

crack2483

Verified Member
Jun 13, 2014
SouthAfrica
www.ecigssa.co.za
I get the same with kanthal and Ni80. Obviously it takes longer with a clearer juice but once dry burned it doesn't taste the same or as long. I end up making.new coils at least once a week.

*I make 0.5 ohm simple micro coils
3mm diameter usually 10 wraps. (Dual coil)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bonskibon

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Either blow the ashes off or get a can of air. Keep pulsing and blowing until you only see the coil glowing when pulsing (ie - no "cinders" in between wraps). Don't fret over giving a good healthy second or two long pulse, depending on the watts you pulse with.

I do this after rinsing under hot water (and removing the wick, of course). I don't rinse after the dry burn. The coil will darken with use, but I get several re-wickings between builds this way.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Either blow the ashes off or get a can of air. Keep pulsing and blowing until you only see the coil glowing when pulsing (ie - no "cinders" in between wraps). Don't fret over giving a good healthy second or two long pulse, depending on the watts you pulse with.

I do this after rinsing under hot water (and removing the wick, of course). I don't rinse after the dry burn. The coil will darken with use, but I get several re-wickings between builds this way.
Going to give that a try, thank you. :)

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California

Almost exactly what I do...

Really if your going to dry burn anyway there's no reason to wash the coil..... you might want to wash the tank fine just do it before you dry burn and rewick....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Thanks guys. I'm thinking the dry burning and sizzling it water a couple times is what's wrecking my coil. I'm going to try other methods and see if I can get better results. Will do a dry burn and use condensed air to blow out gunk and then do a rinse in water when the coil is cold and gently clean like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread