Dual 18650 Series Battery Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnm1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2016
Peoria, Illinois
I've always used an unregulated dual 18650 in parallel mod. Just recently, I aquired an unregulated dual 18650 in series mod (specifally a Tesla Invader 3). I've looked everywhere on here and can't quite find information on dual series battery safety. Can someone help me out here. I've got the Tesla Invader 3 and I'm using Samsung 25Rs. I would just like the formula for figuring out a safe coil build. I've been building single coils at around 0.6 or 0.7 ohms, and it seems to be a safe enough area and the batterys are staying cool. The Invader 3 does have variable voltage adjuster which goes from 3.7 to 6.6V. I believe my builds at 0.6 to 0.7 ohms are safe, but I would REALLY like to understand how to figure that out for sure. Please help!!!?

johnm1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2016
Peoria, Illinois
Use vapecalc.com and input your build and your voltage.

Remember, in series only voltage will increase. You can still only pull 20 amps from your batteries safely.

At .6 you're only pulling 11amps, so vape on.
Ok. Simple enough. I don't know why I was trying to make it more complicated than that, but I was. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Super Flex

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
On a dual battery mechanical:
Parallel - double the amp limit, so with the 25R this gives you 40 amps to work with.
Series - same amp limit, double the voltage eg. 8.4 volts fully charged.

Your mod has adjustable voltage capped at 6.6 volts

I = amps V = volts R = resistance P = watts

To find the amp draw use I=V/R
Eg. divide 6.6v by 0.6Ω = 11 amps (5.5 amps per cell)

To find the wattage use P=V²/R
Eg. 6.6v multiplied by 6.6v divided by 0.6Ω = 72.6 watts (not allowing for battery sag and voltage drop)

Or use steam-engine.

Assuming the same wattage is used, a series or parallel battery configuration will have the same total runtime.

Reactions: Super Flex

johnm1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2016
Peoria, Illinois
Parallel - double the amp limit, so with the 25R this gives you 40 amps to work with.

Eg. 6.6v multiplied by 6.6v divided by 0.6Ω = 72.6 watts (not allowing for battery sag and voltage drop)

Or use steam-engine.

Assuming the same wattage is used, a series or parallel battery configuration will have the same total runtime.

johnm1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2016
Peoria, Illinois

Or use steam-engine.

Excellent. Thank you so much. I can vape without fear of blowing off my hand now! LOL That's exactly what I wanted to know with formulas and all. I wasn't sure how the voltage control would figure in, either.

Reactions: sonicbomb

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
Great choice on the box!
The Invader III is a regulated vv mod. Nothing about it is unregulated. It has safeties(low voltage, shorts, build limit of .1), voltage adjustment and a proprietary chip.

Go to steam engine under the Battery Drain tab. I have screenshots using your .6 build.
2vcwcxj.jpg

16b0aa0.jpg

johnm1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2016
Peoria, Illinois
Great choice on the box!
The Invader III is a regulated vv mod. Nothing about it is unregulated. It has safeties(low voltage, shorts, build limit of .1), voltage adjustment and a proprietary chip.

Go to steam engine under the Battery Drain tab. I have screenshots using your .6 build.
2vcwcxj.jpg

16b0aa0.jpg
Wow! That's great! I knew you guys could help me feel a little safer when vaping on this awesome mod! Thank you!!! I've never seen this section on Steam Engine, either, so thanks for that. Helps a lot!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread