Dual microcoils and cotton in Ebaron/Sophia/Diver etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyEars

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
United Kingdom
I've heard a lot of people asking about using resistance wire only to make microcoils in their CE2 based atomizers. I find that using plain resistance wires can give a few issues i.e. The wire is often thicker than that used in the premade res/no res wires, which may lead to cracking of the base of the ceramic cup due to the extra tight fit of the positive pin. Also there may be extra heat transfered to the insulator area at the base of the cup, as obviously all the wire is being heated and not just the coil. Using normal kanthal can also give a high resistance due to the length of the coil legs.

So I thought I'd make a little show and tell of how I make microcoils using resistance/no resistance pre made wires. I'm doing this using dual microcoils and I'm using cotton for the wick - if you want to use single coils, you just leave out one of the coils.

I'm no pro coiler, I'm no pro photographer, I'm just a vaper who likes to find faff where no faff is really needed. So please excuse the awful pics because I just knocked this up as I was eating breakfast.

This is applicable to the ebaron, sophia, killer, diver V1 & V2 and other CE2 ceramic based atomizers, although the wicking will be different depending on what atomizer you are using and what situation you are using it in.

What you will need:
1/ Pre made wires x2. I chose 2x 2.7ohm wires - that should give me around 1.3 - 1.4 ohms with dual coils.
(You will need to use wires that will give you the final resistance to suit your needs)
2/ Ohm meter
3/ Atomizer & empty ceramic cup
4/ Cotton wool
5/ 1.5mm needle or screwdriver to wind the coil on.
6/ Butane style torch
7/ Tweezers
8/ Nail clippers and/or scissors

IMGP1865.jpg

Down to business..

Get your 1.5mm needle and wrap the coil around it, making sure the no-res part of the wire is in contact with the needle at both ends.

IMGP1875.jpg

Slip the coil off the needle, torch and squeeze the coil gently (you all know how lol)

IMGP1876.jpg

Put the coil back on the needle.
Make another coil - this time wrap the coil the opposite way to the first coil (this will make sense later).

IMGP1877.jpg

Torch and squeeze the second coil and slip it back on the needle.

IMGP1878.jpg

Cut the right hand side of the no-res wire on both coils - this will be the positive and will make assembly easier.

IMGP1881.jpg

Prepare some cotton for the wicks, slip them into the coils and arrange the assembled coils and wicks as shown below.
As you can see, the top coil legs are straddling the bottom wick - this is why we needed to wrap the coils the opposite way.

IMGP1883.jpg

Place the coils and wicks carefully into the CE2 ceramic cup, making sure both the short legs are on the same side.

IMGP1886.jpg

When the wicks are sat down into the slots, twist the pairs of wires carefully, then trim off 1 wire on each side.

IMGP1888.jpg

IMGP1889.jpg

Trim the positive wire to length and tuck it into the positive hole.

IMGP1890.jpg

Fit the completed ceramic assembly into your atomizer and check you ohms.

IMGP1891.jpg

Cut and tuck your wick into position - this will depend on the atomizer used.

IMGP1894.jpg

Add juice and vape away!!

IMGP1895.jpg

This may seem a bit long winded, but after doing this a few times it really only take 5 or 10 minutes.
I hope someone out there finds this useful. Happy vaping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread