dual parallel. married battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
YES. They need to be the same brand of batteries, purchased together, always charged and discharged together. It's important because the batteries need to maintain the same exact capacity or one battery will be over-worked. As batteries age, their actual capacity diminishes. It's important that the two batteries you use are of the same age and have been through the same amount of cycles so to ensure that their capacity always remains the same.

Granted, like Baditude said, this becomes much more important when used in series, but it's still important enough not to risk it.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
My own thoughts are the two batteries should be the same brand, same model with the same specifications (mah and amp), and of a similar age (in use). This is especially important if the paired batteries are used in series (stacked end to end), admittedly less so when used in parallel (sitting side by side).

Yea, I've heard that it was of big importance when the Batteries were in Series or stacked. My Mod is in Parallel, Side by side.
So Ive got a ton of batteries that I bought when I was using Tube Mods. Ive moved on to Box mods, Im waiting on my sigelei, so I"m fine with using same type, Same Mah, Just was hoping I could use a couple that were probably not charged the same amount of times, if the batteries are not series.

foolswithsometools

Apr 19, 2015
Its important to marry batteries in series because you dont want to be overdraining your batteries, but the big danger of parallel batteries is if you put in half-charged batteries, theyll try to charge each other and then once you start firing it theres high currents in wrong directions. You can use non-married batteries of the same amp rating and mah but ONLY if theyre at the same charge level/voltage
Yea, I've heard that it was of big importance when the Batteries were in Series or stacked. My Mod is in Parallel, Side by side.
So Ive got a ton of batteries that I bought when I was using Tube Mods. Ive moved on to Box mods, Im waiting on my sigelei, so I"m fine with using same type, Same Mah, Just was hoping I could use a couple that were probably not charged the same amount of times, if the batteries are not series.
Do not do this, you can use "random batteries" but at the very least keep their charge levels equal, the mod will try to drain them both equally so different batteries arent as big of an issue as long as the voltages are good

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
Do not do this, you can use "random batteries" but at the very least keep their charge levels equal, the mod will try to drain them both equally so different batteries arent as big of an issue as long as the voltages are good

So what you are saying is If I took 2 batteries, Popped them in my Intellicharger just to Top up and discharge they may have had from Sitting, and then Checked those with my Multimeter, in order to ensure that they were of similar voltages, then I could safely use them?

foolswithsometools

Apr 19, 2015
So what you are saying is If I took 2 batteries, Popped them in my Intellicharger just to Top up and discharge they may have had from Sitting, and then Checked those with my Multimeter, in order to ensure that they were of similar voltages, then I could safely use them?
Pretty much, as long as the batteries are somewhat similar, I mean I would never mix a 15 amp and a 30 amp battery on a subohm build, but a VTC and an efest? MXJO and a vamped? They work fine in parallel on milder builds (remember that when properly using parallel married batteries on a capable mod you can safely run double the amp limit. With unmarried batteries Id just use the lowest battery amp limit as my safe zone)
For the best battery lifespan, best high current performance and best vape overall Id get married batteries whenever you can
Also remember you can use any parallel mod with just one battery too, if you just want to use a box

Braddahbill

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2012
Hawaii
Im waiting on my sigelei,

This part has me concerned the most. Is it a Sigelei 100, 100+, or 150 watt box mod? Those are series box mods and battery safety is important when it comes to stacked batteries.

I have the Sigelei 150 and have not only married 2 sets (Box A and Box B) but re-wrapped my batteries with the information under the clear wrap ( I hate it when the label peels off or magic marker rubs off)

Don't take chances when it comes to your safety.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 11.18.50 AM.png

Reactions: petrotech

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
This part has me concerned the most. Is it a Sigelei 100, 100+, or 150 watt box mod? Those are series box mods and battery safety is important when it comes to stacked batteries.

I have the Sigelei 150 and have not only married 2 sets (Box A and Box B) but re-wrapped my batteries with the information under the clear wrap ( I hate it when the label peels off or magic marker rubs off)

Don't take chances when it comes to your safety.

View attachment 457646

Sorry I've had a sigelei before. Lost it. For the sigelei, I have a set of lg, and a set of Samsung, Which are different colors from all my other batteries.
I'm only referring to my mech for this post.
Mech batts are parallel.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
Unless you have some way to match the batteries by volts amps internal resistance and seconds to low voltage cut off it won't matter. ALL batteries discharge at different rates no matter what they are. Take two new fully charged 25r's for example put them in the box of your choosing and use it for 20 minutes. Pull the batteries and see where they stand and I guarantee you they will be in different states of charge every time. I used to match cells for R/C cars back in the 90's and I would buy sony nicads by the hundreds just to get a couple of good matched six cell packs. If you go out and buy 4 new batteries to use in a box all that means is you have four new batteries and nothing more.

foolswithsometools

Apr 19, 2015
Unless you have some way to match the batteries by volts amps internal resistance and seconds to low voltage cut off it won't matter. ALL batteries discharge at different rates no matter what they are. Take two new fully charged 25r's for example put them in the box of your choosing and use it for 20 minutes. Pull the batteries and see where they stand and I guarantee you they will be in different states of charge every time. I used to match cells for R/C cars back in the 90's and I would buy sony nicads by the hundreds just to get a couple of good matched six cell packs. If you go out and buy 4 new batteries to use in a box all that means is you have four new batteries and nothing more.
Even series box mods drain married batteries evenly and well enough to prevent the real danger (overdraining one battery), but batteries in a closed parallel circuit will drain the batteries back and forth, and try to discharge their voltages at the same rate, thats just how hooking 2 batteries together in parallel works. If the voltages are too different one battery will try to charge the other to make them equal. In series battery configurations (90% of regulated boxes) they will drain differently but in parallel the circuit will drain them as equally as possible. Go ahead and use a parallel box, use different batteries too, with different limits and capacities, both voltages in the end will be fighting to be equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread