Dual twisted Kanthal 32g, what gauge will that end up being

Status
Not open for further replies.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Got a Kange suvod w/toptank a while back and going to rebuild the coil. Research tells me to use 26-28 gauge wire and kanger used NC wire. All I have is 32g Kanthal so I thought about making a dual twist but don't know what compariable gauge that would end up. I googled dual twisted 32 gauge and found a site that sells dual twisted 32g kanthal and they showed its diameter at .2mm dia. If that is right does anyone know what gauge I would end up with.

Wire Info from site:

• 26 AWG x 5m (long) Double Twisted - 0.4mm D (2 wires)
  • 28 AWG x 10m (long) Double Twisted - 0.3mm D (2 wires)
  • 30 AWG x 10m (long) Double Twisted - 0.25mm D (2 wires)
  • 32 AWG x 10m (long) Double Twisted - 0.2mm D (2 wires)
  • 28 AWG x 5m (long) Triple Twisted - 0.3mm*3 D (3 wires)
  • 30 AWG x 5m (long) Quadruple Twisted - 0.25mm*4 D (4 wires)
  • 28ga X 3 Triple Braided Wire- 15ft

Last edited:

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Not exactly sure there @charly1954 but when I twist wire, a single twist (two single strands twisted together) gets me to the next lower wire size (or close) so single twisted 32 should end up being close to 30 AWG. twist those twisteds together and it should drop down again to something close to 28 AWG or just start with 3 or 4 strands of 32 AWG and twist em all together. Best way to check is to twist some wires and start building. Good luck!

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
The dual twist I have done before where not tight twist, I guess the tighter the twist the bigger gauge it would be. For no little than it cost I may have to buy some 26 or 28 gauge. I just had this 32g and wanted to use it up. The top tank coil was .6ohm with the red grommet so I'll want to be around that

Last edited:

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
The dual twist I have done before where not tight twist, I guess the tighter the twist the bigger gauge it would be. For no little than it cost I may have to buy some 26 or 28 gauge. I just had this 32g and wanted to use it up. The top tank coil was .6ohm with the red grommet so I'll want to be around that

Twisting smaller gage wire is the best way to use it up imo. In fact, I have several gages twisted and clipped to 5" in the tacklebox waiting for use. Try some with 2, 3, 4 strands twisted tight, loose, etc. and before you know it, the spool will be empty and youll have lots to try. Personally, Ive found tight turns to hold more juice and kick out more flavor than loose. I stick it in the drill and pull the strands tightish and twist til it snaps. clip out the uneven twists - usually at the beginning and the end of the span and make sure no kinks happen then clip them into usable lengths.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
tks for the site, I went and enter the wire info found from other people who have taken the Toptank apart, measured it, and the coil wraps shown at steam engine is not even close, can anyone explain.

Here's the site where I found some info about the coil
http://..................com/threads/kanger-ssocc-teardown.173709/

I also took one apart and mine had 8 wraps, I posted a thread and photos if anyone wants to take theirs apart, its pretty easy with no damage to coil housing.
https://www.e-cigarette- forum.com/forum/threads/kanger-ssocc-rebuild-take-verticle-coil-apart-from-subvod-toptank.759885/#post-18521015

info entered and site says 3 wraps
NiCr-80
single coil
27 or 28 gauge
wire length 5.76"(146mm)
3/16"/.1875" inside coil diameter
.6ohms(Kanger says .5 but mine was .6)
leg lengths .357"(3/8"/9.5mm)(this is the short leg)

Last edited:

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
..... Personally, Ive found tight turns to hold more juice and kick out more flavor than loose. I stick it in the drill and pull the strands tightish and twist til it snaps......

From photos of twisted wire I seen online, mine I would consider looser. I put a paper clip into a drill, run the wire thru and used vice grips to hole the 2 tag ends. Then ran the drill on slow speed until the loop end snaped. I was using 32 Kanthal so don't know if that had anything to do with looser twist. Kanthal is springier than NC so maybe that's why Kanthal didn't twist in smaller twist.

I'm gona try a triple twist see what I get.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
You'll get different resistance with different wire types. I'm assuming you have kanthal. The kanger says ssocc which is stainless steel (and organic cotton) the other is nichrom, half kanthal half nickel. Smaller wires will snap faster. Once the twists gain some rigidity, you can lessen the pulling, just enough to keep it from folding on itself, that will lead to tighter wraps. I tried to get it to where it was as close to a 45deg angle over itself. Also, if the paper isn't working, I just make a gnarly ball for the chuck to hold and then try to get the leads straight out the tip to make less vibrations which can stretch or break wires. Sounds like your well on you way, good luck!

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Allot think the coil wire is stainless steel, there're not. The ss in ssocc means the casing or housing is ss. The coil caseing it is stamped NC for Nichrome.

When I was making the twist I held it tight enough to keep it from coiling or kinking.

In the forum link I posted above I showed photos of reuseing the coil wire then wraped it with same cotton I cleaned. I hadn't got any cotton pads yet. It worked ok.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I think I'm gona give up on using twisted wire for a ssocc coil, that's what this post for for. Will be allot easier to just by some 26 or 28 g. But not sure if I buy Kanthal or Nichrome. I read Nc is not as springy as Kanthal and Nc ohms will be lower with same coil made and Nc is cheaper than Kanthal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread