Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Hey all.
I was a heavy smoker before I found vaping, and in the beginning when I bought my first
e-cig I was able to quit for a few months. Then I started dual using due to some stressful times. Also my motivation to be smoke-free wasn't very strong.

The thing is, vaping really irritates my throat when Im dual using, and I miss those months
where I was stinky-free and vaping was just a joy. Also, I'm starting to have
breathing difficulties. and it really worries me.

So I want to quit the stinkies real bad, but why is it so difficult for me?
I should be able to when I have my vape, right?

Can you guys think of good motivating reasons to quit? (other than it might kill me of course)
And is it normal to cough and feel short of breath when dual using?

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
that feeling could be the juice ratio you're using (vg/pg %)
Motivation has to come from yourself mainly, i myself wasen't strongly motivated since i was fine in my smoking habits but the flavors i had helped tremendously. To help or motivate yourself it's 100x easier when you have a setup that satisfies you, dual using while trying to quit is normal though so don't shame yourself for it. Good reason to quit is simply to me the community here on ecf and a bit everywhere, that too helped tremendously to quit smoking for me but ofc everyone has different taste and opinions so what works for one won't necessarely work for everyone else.

For your other problem i'd ask whats the juice ratio you're vaping and what if you want new gear i'd ask what kind of vape are you looking for. For that shortness of breath please refer to your healthcare provider as we aren't doctors unfortunately and it's always better to get a profesionnal opinion on the matter.

Texasbox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
Dallas,Tx
A vg/pg ratio lower then 80/20 irritates me bad. Once i started sub-ohm vaping life changed. Wasn't about the big clouds just a smooth thick vape. The nic level went down but still had same effect. Been bout a year and a half now and no cigs and chest pain.... I'm good

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey all.
I was a heavy smoker before I found vaping, and in the beginning when I bought my first
e-cig I was able to quit for a few months. Then I started dual using due to some stressful times. Also my motivation to be smoke-free wasn't very strong.

Swapping the order of your post:

So I want to quit the stinkies real bad, but why is it so difficult for me?
I should be able to when I have my vape, right?

Well, you say here you now want to 'quit the stinkies real bad', so I'm thinking you are motivated now for whatever reason. Is this not the case?

Vaping is not the same as smoking and for me when I switched motivation to stop smoking was really important. This seems to vary for different people, some finding it easier than others.

Can you guys think of good motivating reasons to quit? (other than it might kill me of course)
And is it normal to cough and feel short of breath when dual using?

I only dual used for a couple of weeks. I have not seen anyone complain of shortness of breath due to dual use. I also assume you did not have this issue when you were vaping only, so it's not the vaping causing it. This also assumes you are vaping the same liquids in more or less the same way as before. My uneducated opinion on this is there is something else in play and checking things out with a doctor may well be the safest way to go.

Coming back to this:

The thing is, vaping really irritates my throat when Im dual using, and I miss those months
where I was stinky-free and vaping was just a joy. Also, I'm starting to have
breathing difficulties. and it really worries me.

I see no reason for vaping to be irritating your throat when dual using as opposed to vaping alone. Again, this is assuming you're vaping the same way and the same liquids in both instances.

I find I get throat irritation when I vape too much high PG juice. Having sad that, it's a minor irritation and I currently vape all PG juice. The flavorings also bother some people. Too much nic can also irritate as can sub-par liquids.

Really, if I was having breathing problems I would go see my doctor. Best of luck with it NoobJens007 :thumb:

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Swapping the order of your post:

Well, you say here you now want to 'quit the stinkies real bad', so I'm thinking you are motivated now for whatever reason. Is this not the case?

Vaping is not the same as smoking and for me when I switched motivation to stop smoking was really important. This seems to vary for different people, some finding it easier than others.

I only dual used for a couple of weeks. I have not seen anyone complain of shortness of breath due to dual use. I also assume you did not have this issue when you were vaping only, so it's not the vaping causing it. This also assumes you are vaping the same liquids in more or less the same way as before. My uneducated opinion on this is there is something else in play and checking things out with a doctor may well be the safest way to go.

Coming back to this:

I see no reason for vaping to be irritating your throat when dual using as opposed to vaping alone. Again, this is assuming you're vaping the same way and the same liquids in both instances.

I find I get throat irritation when I vape too much high PG juice. Having sad that, it's a minor irritation and I currently vape all PG juice. The flavorings also bother some people. Too much nic can also irritate as can sub-par liquids.

Really, if I was having breathing problems I would go see my doctor. Best of luck with it NoobJens007 :thumb:

Thanks for that response! I think the shortness of breath is mostly when I have smoked 30 cigarettes in one day. I have a suspicion that it's the other chemicals that are in cigarettes that make me keep coming back to them. That and it has become a long lasting habit for me to smoke (11 years). So the ritual of taking a break from whatever Im doing and go outside to smoke is deeply seeded in me. Maybe I should go outside when I vape, to imitate the ritual.
I am motivated yes, but something in me finds it difficult. Ill let you all know if I succeed and get one of those fancy signatures here where it says I have quit for x number of days. That's kind of my dream scenario.

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
I have found out that the habit of leaving my desk and going outside is essential to my addiction to cigarettes.
I remember that certain things I just did automatically when I quit last year. For example every time I had opened the fridge I wanted automatically to go outside and smoke because I was used to smoking after eating.
It took some time before the habit turned to vaping after eating.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Your story sounds similar to mine. When I first started vaping it took 2 weeks to quit but it was still a struggle with stinkies constantly on my mind. After 3 months I finally caved in and went to dual using.

I did that for almost 2 years and gradually vape just seemed to take over as my preference. I just quit for the second time on 8/14. I was already down to 1 nasty every few days so it just made sense to throw them away. Been clean for a month now and it's been no struggle at all. Just hang in there and don't give up on your vape. Take it one day at a time. Link in my Sig below to the still smoking support thread.

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Your story sounds similar to mine. When I first started vaping it took 2 weeks to quit but it was still a struggle with stinkies constantly on my mind. After 3 months I finally caved in and went to dual using.

I did that for almost 2 years and gradually vape just seemed to take over as my preference. I just quit for the second time on 8/14. I was already down to 1 nasty every few days so it just made sense to throw them away. Been clean for a month now and it's been no struggle at all. Just hang in there and don't give up on your vape. Take it one day at a time. Link in my Sig below to the still smoking support thread.
Congrats! Stories like yours fills me eith hope. What also really motivates me is seeing people I know get ill from smoking. I had a teacher who had to retire because his smoker lungs couldnt carry him anymore

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Actually, I CAN see that dual using could be irritating to the throat, I found it to be so when I dual used (to be fair, once I got to vaping exclusively, I found out I was PG sensitive, so I also moved to max VG liquids (though I still MTL, it works out fine). But, when I started vaping I got hoarse, SO HOARSE for about the first 5 days. I had to liberally up my liquid intake, and do things like chamomile tea with lemon and honey, but it passed in time.... It was just an adjustment phase, I think, but dual using I coughed MORE than just smoking and it really didn't seem to agree with my system. Why that might be, I have no idea.... I think my respiratory system was just getting shot, period, more from the smoking than anything else.

With that said, there are things you can do, if nic is harsh on your throat you could lower nicotine, or try nic salts which have almost no throat hit at all (they also are more bioavailable so Juul makers claim, so more closely mimic a "cigarette" in more rapid satisfaction, though to be honest, I mainly bought them for the LACK of throat hit), which I don't so much care for in vaping.

What helped me most during transition was using SPARING amounts of WTA juice, then slowly phasing it out. Whole Tobacco Alkaloid juice contains some of the same alkaloids as tobacco, so while you would still be detoxing from tar (itself an MAOI), it did actually help me transition completely. They aren't cheap, though some places will give you wonderful deals on the stuff, but they did do what I needed-- provide a step down phase where I was still getting the MAOI satisfaction, while detoxing off tar, and at a much lower level than smoking, but enough to help. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it might be worth a shot. My detox wasn't exactly pretty even WITH WTA, but at least I wasn't ready to chew through steel by 4 p.m. Then I sloooowly phased them out, but I keep a tank with some in it for stressful situations. It was much easier to stop WTAs once I had some vaping time under my belt.

Finally, you don't HAVE to stop dual using right away, I'd experiment with your VG/PG to see if you find a liquid mix that is more to your taste. It's kind of a catch 22 right now, if you want to vape more and smoke less, but are finding your vape hard to use due to dual using. But, I'd count every cigarette NOT smoked as a win, and start setting up a system of rewards for yourself, so that as you decrease your cigarettes, you increase your motivation to continue. It could be something as simple as an inexpensive item you've wanted, but held off on purchasing, new hobbies, whatever. I went back to knitting and crafting as a hand activity to keep me busy during times I can't vape, also took up the guitar once my voice returned and I could sing again, that type of thing. I literally did NOT know how to reward myself at first, as I was so used to "rewarding" myself with a cigarette. I had to sit down and make a list, LOL.

With all that said, you're going to have to try different things until you hit on the correct combination to quit. Motivation is a part of that, but only you are going to be able to give it to yourself. Again, sitting down and writing out the pros and cons of vaping versus smoking might be of help here, but I think step number ONE is finding a vape you can tolerate, as it's very hard to quit if vaping isn't working right. With that said, for a long time I told myself while dual using that I "had" to keep smoking since vaping wasn't "working," and this time around I decided to flip it and MAKE vaping work for me, no matter what, as I was being given an extended look forward into my COPD future by having pneumonia pretty much for 18 months straight (a lot of that time, I wasn't even AWARE I had pneumonia, thought it was allergies, etc.) but the treatments for that and how I felt convinced me that smoking wasn't worth it.

Good luck! Vaping *isn't* like some of the quit devices that only seem to work once (zyban, I am talking to you) if you've quit before, you can do so again. Provided you believe you can, I believe you can, but that probably isn't much help to you. :)

Anna

Anna

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
Wow that must be tough for you to have pg sensitivity and sounds like a challenge. Thanks for your info, the thing is I cant buy liquids outside of Denmark which really sucks. I have written to a liquid vendor if they could start selling some of my favourite liquids that I used to buy from England. ( dinner lady and loaded). They said they would look into it.

I had the misconception that higher wattage meant better vape haha. But now ive lowered my wattage again and have a much better vape experience.

I have watched " a billion lives" about 10 times, and just thought about the man who says "quitting can be something exciting now, something better than smoking".
Im trying to think positive. :)

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
I followed foggy roads story in another thread. His story is like mine, and common to quitting. As long as the tobacco was there, he went to it at times. The day he finally quit is the day he threw the tobacco out.
There is nothing to be ashamed about or to beat yourself up about dual using. And it's also fine to keep cigs around just in case. But after a while, I think removing them would help.
Here's my dilemma. My wife is having a harder time with this, so we keep cigs around. I still have a cig with morning coffee. She went from a pack a day to 7 or 8, and is stuck there. I didn't mind because at least we were smoking much less.
However, last week I had some extra stress. I had to make a few phone calls, and ended up having a cig on each call.
I know if the pack wasnt there, I would not need one, it's a habit.
Dual using is fine, but to go off completely it's prob best not to have them around. If I can get her dialed in on flavor and nic strength it would solve the problem. Flavor and nic strength, and the right device is key. Then throw them away. Just my 2 cents.

NoobJens007

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2016
Denmark
www.jkh-art.dk
I followed foggy roads story in another thread. His story is like mine, and common to quitting. As long as the tobacco was there, he went to it at times. The day he finally quit is the day he threw the tobacco out.
There is nothing to be ashamed about or to beat yourself up about dual using. And it's also fine to keep cigs around just in case. But after a while, I think removing them would help.
Here's my dilemma. My wife is having a harder time with this, so we keep cigs around. I still have a cig with morning coffee. She went from a pack a day to 7 or 8, and is stuck there. I didn't mind because at least we were smoking much less.
However, last week I had some extra stress. I had to make a few phone calls, and ended up having a cig on each call.
I know if the pack wasnt there, I would not need one, it's a habit.
Dual using is fine, but to go off completely it's prob best not to have them around. If I can get her dialed in on flavor and nic strength it would solve the problem. Flavor and nic strength, and the right device is key. Then throw them away. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your story. I will remember to throw away the last pack. I thought about keeping it as a sort of trophy, but if I know myself, it probably wont work.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Reduce, that's some good advice if it's feasible. I have a husband who has no motivation to quit at the moment, so tobacco is around me constantly. It's *nice* to have a non-smoking household, but it isn't *necessary*. I found it was rather more the need to convince myself that there were as many cigarettes in the world as I was *willing* to smoke, and that I had to accept it was *my* responsibility to not smoke them, not anyone else's responsibility to keep them out of my sight. It's made for a tense few moments, for sure, but I just keep going back to what I learned when giving up ETOH. It's going to be there. Unless I want to sequester myself, I am going to be around alcohol, every day, every time I go into a gas station, or a restaurant, or someone's house, etc...

I have to change, not the world around me. That said, keeping a "trophy" pack around to test one's willpower isn't really necessary, or even smart. :) I mean, yes, if I want to smoke badly enough, I can go to a gas station to buy a pack, but at least during the process of getting up and getting there, I have time to vape, and possibly change my mind. But, I haven't found it necessary to have the husband quit, and if your wife doesn't quit, (she may continue with dual use, some people do so even with the "perfect" vape, it's hard to shed those cigs for some), then you'll have to be vigilant with yourself about things.

Though everyone's different, the a.m. with coffee cig was the first one I eliminated. I knew if I didn't, I'd be smoking all day long.... I don't do "one" cigarette with much grace or fortitude! :D Just make sure the packs of cigs are not to hand during stressful situations, I guess....

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Though everyone's different, the a.m. with coffee cig was the first one I eliminated. I knew if I didn't, I'd be smoking all day long.... I don't do "one" cigarette with much grace or fortitude! :D Just make sure the packs of cigs are not to hand during stressful situations, I guess....
Anna
and that's why i love vaping :D everyone's experiences are different,and tbh sometimes sharing/reading them helps motivate some people. I for one quit with only my morning first coffee cig remaining,as it was the only one i truely felt i needed for the first week.

Trophy pack is imo bad idea indeed,my trophy was when i tried smoking one from my friend (mainly because i was curious) believe me it was horrid XD i vaped for 10 mins afterwards just to get rid of that taste lol. I still sometimes crave a smoke though,even after 100days,but i can't stand the odor or the taste of a cig so to me it's a sign i need my nicotine intake :p i'll probably need to move to a "better" flavor for that morning vape though since i don't really like fruits with coffee :lol: but no idea what goes well hahah !

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
and that's why i love vaping :D everyone's experiences are different,and tbh sometimes sharing/reading them helps motivate some people. I for one quit with only my morning first coffee cig remaining,as it was the only one i truely felt i needed for the first week.

Trophy pack is imo bad idea indeed,my trophy was when i tried smoking one from my friend (mainly because i was curious) believe me it was horrid XD i vaped for 10 mins afterwards just to get rid of that taste lol. I still sometimes crave a smoke though,even after 100days,but i can't stand the odor or the taste of a cig so to me it's a sign i need my nicotine intake :p i'll probably need to move to a "better" flavor for that morning vape though since i don't really like fruits with coffee :lol: but no idea what goes well hahah !
Capuchino juice is a good morning vape. If not that, try a dessert juice like apple pie or caramel custard, etc..

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I was a dual user for a long time it wasn't until the rdas came out I was able to go completely off analogs. With the right equipment and mg% of eliquid you should be able to break the urge. Analogs do have an large number of addictive substances that big tobacco adds to keep you hooked. Did you know tobacco companies are one of the largest users of sugar, they are up there with the devil in the red can.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't use a special juice with my morning coffee, I just vape what I'm vapin'. With that said, I steered away from coffee flavored juice, generally, when I tried some out at the Vape Shop. It was similar enough that I felt like I wouldn't really taste the juice, while simultaneously *not* being coffee tasting enough to deal with. I'd imagine something like a typical breakfast (hey, I wonder if there's an oatmeal flavor?) like blueberry muffin or something would be okay, but as long as I'm not vaping citruses or something, I tend to be just Fine. :)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread