Duals and triples are grose!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
The lab reported that the three diaper cloth samples I sent them, two from separate DC and one from a TC, all new and unused, were 100% cotton. We did not go to the expense of more test because analyzes of fumes from burning 100% cotton cloth have been tested many times and are available to the public. Don't want to say they are harmless, but feel a little better about what I am putting into my lungs. There are many variables when you burn a combination of chemicals, cloth and eliquids, and each would be different.

Thanks a lot for the information that you have gathered. Don't really like dual coils myself and have dissected all of the ones I used with the same results. All had burnt diapers. Filled them properly, etc. etc. but it seems that a lot of people are in either in denial or ignoring the fact that cartomizers will and do burn.

Hopefully they will create safer cartos in the future that will be less of a risk.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks a lot for the information that you have gathered. Don't really like dual coils myself and have dissected all of the ones I used with the same results. All had burnt diapers. Filled them properly, etc. etc. but it seems that a lot of people are in either in denial or ignoring the fact that cartomizers will and do burn.

Hopefully they will create safer cartos in the future that will be less of a risk.

I agree totally, especially with the denial and ignoring, would love to see a diaper that has been used for a day of vaping and is not scorched or burned.

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
No wonder they are burning. 1.7 ohm cartos at 6 volts is over 21 watts.

A dual coil carto has 2 3 ohm coils in parallel, so although TOTAL power is 17 watts, each coil is only at 8.x watts.

I have been an avid carto user from the get-go. I've noticed the "burnt" filler, and would like to add my opinion.

I hypothesize that 90% of all "scorching" is from molecules in juice that do not get vaporized; the "gunk" that fouls standard atomizers.

Each and every time I've had a carto burn, there have been holes in the "diaper," and a foul smoke taste that causes me to gag.

I think what most are classifying as burning is actually just residue from the ejuice.

Catdaddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2009
Alabama
I have used just about every variation of 510 dual cartomizer. Every single variety except the medium sized ones which come with whistle tips and are a slightly larger diameter than standard burn too hot and are useless. The problem with the whistle tips is that they eventually leak into your mouth unless you constantly wash out the tips. Even most of these are what I call "burners" (which means they burn too hot and give very little vapor) just as the other dual coil variations.
With a brand new one (dual cartomizer) on any of several devices, I have the burning too hot effect begin with the first drag. If it is burned juice residue causing the burned taste it happens within seconds with a brand new one.
Dual Crapomizers= beautiful idea but a useless product.

Last edited:

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
In my opinion Any cartomizers will burn if it has a diaper wrapped around the coil unless they are kept moist ALL the time. If they get just a little dry they will burn. The only thing I have seen that will make them last longer is large diameter carto's because they stay moist longer than a standard size carto. NOW if you use a tank system they will last and last because the tank keeps the carto's moist all the time and that is what it takes to keep the diaper from burning so it makes your carto's last 10 times longer if not more. In my opinion anyone that say's they don't have a problem with their carto's burning are in denial and have not taken their used cartomizers apart and looked.

Kosmarnik

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
I post a cartopsy of mine here.
From what I see, I would not say they burn for sure, considering the amount of gunk that is on coils. I'll try washing the cotton diapers, but after a soak in hot water the filler is snow white, except the parts that were touching the diaper, they're a bit brownish, hence my idea of the coloring being gunk.

Last edited:

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I post an cartopsy of mine here.
From what I see, I would not say they burn for sure, considering the amount of gunk that is on coils. I'll try washing the cotton diapers, but after a soak in hot water the filler is snow white, except the parts that were touching the diaper, they're a bit brownish, hence my idea of the coloring being gunk.
Nice cartopsy, mine usually have a hole burned thru the diaper.

Kosmarnik

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Nice cartopsy, mine usually have a hole burned thru the diaper.
Thanks.
About the burn hole, the first one I opened had a hole. First I though it was a burn hole, but what happened is the diaper got stuck to the gunk, and I wasn't too careful when unwrapping it so it snagged and got torn. The second one I was a bit more attentive and no tears.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Thanks.
About the burn hole, the first one I opened had a hole. First I though it was a burn hole, but what happened is the diaper got stuck to the gunk, and I wasn't too careful when unwrapping it so it snagged and got torn. The second one I was a bit more attentive and no tears.
In my experience if you use it longer, you will burn a hole.

Kosmarnik

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
In my experience if you use it longer, you will burn a hole.
IDK, we can debate it, but can't really prove either way as I can't test it.
The OP seems like it's been burned through, but the pics are too low res/blurry to tell. It does look cleaner than mine though, so it makes no sense to me that mine should not have a hole in them?
What I do know is that the gunk is thick and is sticking to the diaper fibers and makes it easy to tear.
I'll try to wash mine just to see if they'll get any whiter :)

OTOH, mine (DC XL LR 510) cost only 1.9$ so they're just bang on the money, just throw them away after a few days.

Though I'm more concerned about possible health issues.

While I'm here, can someone link me a good thread wrt gunk on the coils?

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I'm now 95% percent sure the diaper DON'T burn.
I washed them and took more pictures, so head over to my thread to check them out.

Congratulations you are very lucky to be in the 1%.

I guess the holes in over a hundred I have opened were moth holes. Either way stainless steel makes the best vaper so I will never go back to cotton..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread