Duals and triples are grose!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
Congratulations you are very lucky to be in the 1%.

I guess the holes in over a hundred I have opened were moth holes. Either way stainless steel makes the best vaper so I will never go back to cotton..

Exactly, there is only a SMALL percentage of people that haven't experienced any burnt DCC. All of the ones I've dissected all have burn marks on the diaper and/or filler.

Kosmarnik

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
I think that most of you are mixing tears with burn holes. The built up crud on the coils and diaper is hard, and after enough of it you just can't remove the diaper without tearing a hole in it.
I'm sure there are bad batches and badly designed cartos that WILL burn, but all that I've opened so far have no evidence of burning and I'm pretty sure I would smell/taste the burning (one of the reasons I stopped using regular attys).

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I think that most of you are mixing tears with burn holes. The built up crud on the coils and diaper is hard, and after enough of it you just can't remove the diaper without tearing a hole in it.
I'm sure there are bad batches and badly designed cartos that WILL burn, but all that I've opened so far have no evidence of burning and I'm pretty sure I would smell/taste the burning (one of the reasons I stopped using regular attys).
In most cases you cant taste the burnt diaper unless your carto is dry. I am not talking about a torn diaper from pulling it from a coil, I am taking about a large hole burned and sometimes thru 2 layers of diaper. Its not a design problem with some carto's, they will burn in ALL carto's that have a diaper and wicking material in them. Like I said before if you never had evidence of a burned diaper why would you take it apart? There is a long thread with pictures about burning diapers in carto's and they do burn.

Last edited:

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
IMHO all types of cartos may burn; I've taken apart great heaps of 'em - including fairly new ones that have produced no unpleasant taste except the juice flavor (dislike of the juice is a great rationale for ripping into the cartos, and I'm insanely wasteful anyway).
They don't ALWAYS burn, of course - I've pulled lots of snowy-white-all-through ones. Of all types.
Some types and brands of cartos are more vulnerable than others, but it's not that consistent. It's hard to tease apart all of the possible variables.
But they burn at all sorts of ohm/voltage combinations, and with light juice and dark juice and sweet juice and not-sweet, and with VG and PG either and both, and with vertical and horizontal and single and dual coil arrangements, long draws and short, and so on.
I've had cartos that carry claims that they "absolutely can't burn"... burn.
I've had cartos that people report as problematic that way... not burn.
Sometimes they just burn a very little bit, and sometimes severely.
And really - it's not rocket science to discern the difference between a burn and a tear or a bunch of charred juice.

I used to worry a lot about this. I've given up. I keep 'em very wet, I don't run them for ridiculously long times, I try to use the right ohmage, and I've gotten pretty good at eliminating horrible scorchers.
And I remember that the burn holes are really teeny little things that probably produce a very miniscule and occasional pooflet of whatever.

I'm not urging this shocking disregard for my health upon anyone, so you needn't scold me - I've read the many volumes of reasonable enough concern in here. Just noting that at this point if you're going to use cartos, some exposure to those pooflets does seem to go with the territory.

It's always something.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I'm thinkin' that the bigger the carto diameter, the more likely the coils don't get enough juice as they get vaped as the juice has to wick over a greater distance. I also think that fatter cartos are more likely to have dry spots on the initial fill for the same reason..

I'd like to see a comparison of cartos used by themselves vs cartos in tanks, as "tanked" cartos are perpetually topped off. I don't use tanks, but I sure would like to see the same carto used under both circumstances.

In the meantime I'll keep hammerin' my dual coils for a month at a time. If they taste good I keep vapin 'em.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I'm thinkin' that the bigger the carto diameter, the more likely the coils don't get enough juice as they get vaped as the juice has to wick over a greater distance. I also think that fatter cartos are more likely to have dry spots on the initial fill for the same reason..

I'd like to see a comparison of cartos used by themselves vs cartos in tanks, as "tanked" cartos are perpetually topped off. I don't use tanks, but I sure would like to see the same carto used under both circumstances.

In the meantime I'll keep hammerin' my dual coils for a month at a time. If they taste good I keep vapin 'em.
I have used the same type carto in and tank and out of a tank. In My experience the carto's last at lease twice as long in a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread