Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Reactions: Rossum

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Every time I see a thread title that starts with Durbin and Boxer, my heart sinks... At least Boxer is on her way out... I don't think we can get a senator stupider than Boxer, honestly.

You might want to be careful now.
That's what I used to think about my beloved Portuguese politicians.
Well, guess what? I was wrong. :)

First, it was the excise tax on nicotine liquid. 60 cents/ml, but get this: with NO regard to nicotine concentration.

Apparently, nobody thought about people who are vaping with sub-ohm drippers at 3mg/ml, being able to buy a 30ml bottle of 36mg/ml (paying 18 Euros in tax) and ELEVEN bottles of tax-free, non-nicotine liquid. And later, "diluting" that tax down to 5 cents/ml. I can live with that. :lol: :lol:

Now, after making business owners spend money on air extraction equipment (many of those owners WANTED patrons to still be allowed to smoke inside), our Govt is now thinking about forbidding smoking everywhere, "England style". The owner will not even be able to CHOOSE his own business model.

So, after 2020, there will be no smoking, or vaping liquids WITH nicotine inside public spaces (and PRIVATE spaces with public service).
However, vaping with NON nicotine liquids will be allowed... :confused:

Seeing the latest changes in the vaping business, I expect that by then, many people will be vaping non-nicotine liquids with high-power devices to compensate for TH.

Is the "vaping police" going to carry nicotine test kits with them? Throw away all that money just to find out that in most cases, the vaper WAS telling the truth, after all? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Dear Lord... This is depressing, jpargana... :facepalm:

Yes. :facepalm: indeed.

Fortunately, it is depressing in a strange, distorted funny way. :)

At least, we can amuse ourselves by seeing how LITTLE people who are trying to "regulate" vaping know about the subject.

We can laugh when we realize they expected to fill their pockets with 0.60€/ml, and will probably get something as low as 5 cents. How disapointed are they going to get...! Receiving maybe 20/25 cents (4/5ml) a day, instead of around 3 euros for the excise tax of a pack of cigarettes...! :D

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Every time I see a thread title that starts with Durbin and Boxer, my heart sinks... At least Boxer is on her way out... I don't think we can get a senator stupider than Boxer, honestly.
has Boxer chosen her heir apparent yet?
i wouldn't bet on the stupider part.
:)
mike

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

A lot of what Boxer has done through her career I've liked. The hate campaign against people who smoke has now gone into unforgivable territory, with the attempts to bring vaping under the same immoral hate scheme. I probably would have voted for Boxer some times if I'd lived in California, but never after what she's done to us lately. I live in Illinois, and I will never vote for Durbin again.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
In a legislature any member can submit any bill they want no matter the merits, no matter the motive. There could be a campaign contribution associated with this bill, there often is. What the bill does immediately is pull more people into the conversation. That should be interesting. What I'm finding in comments on news stories is the public in general does not seem so enthusiastic about controlling ecigs. Taxing ecigs seems to be about government looking out for itself. May be the public will get that.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I have been trying to kick the long term senator out of office EVERY election. He sticks like glue. Dick that is....
If cigarettes stop selling in the U.S., and the 'too big to fail' smoking economy collapses in spite of all the bailouts it's been getting, there will be no more MSA payments for the tobacco litigation lawyers to take their huge cut from that Durbin, more than anybody, helped them get. Then all the money Durbin gets from them will dry up, too. Money is the glue that you refer to.

I'm happy to see that his first name isn't censored here, anymore.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
If cigarettes stop selling in the U.S., and the 'too big to fail' smoking economy collapses in spite of all the bailouts it's been getting, there will be no more MSA payments for the tobacco litigation lawyers to take their huge cut from that Durbin, more than anybody, helped them get. Then all the money Durbin gets from them will dry up, too. Money is the glue that you refer to.

I'm happy to see that his first name isn't censored here, anymore.

There's always someone out there to grease the politicians.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
even the street people here know enough to not try to
bum a smoke from me when they see my PV.

I'm just waiting for the day when a homeless guy on the trolley whips out his Ego and asks if I can spare some juice to fill his tank ... :rolleyes:

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
i wouldn't bet on the stupider part.

True words there!

Let's take Lorretta Sanchez, with her nonsensical rants that occasionally use Native American stereotypes (you know, the "woo woo woo" created with your hand on your mouth, like we did when we played Cowboys and Indians as a kid?). Let me tell you, this woman is magnitudes more stupid than even my mod...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Sadly, Loretta Sanchez is evidence that the poison is creeping into Orange County now.

Not exactly creeping--she's been here for almost 20 years. :facepalm: I met her a couple of times at different functions. She's extremely limited intellectually, but she's a political opportunist. Boxer is a true believer, which, IMHO, is worse...

I like Issa. A lot. He's a good man.

Reactions: Endor and DC2

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Sadly, Loretta Sanchez is evidence that the poison is creeping into Orange County now.

Yes. I'm still in LA county (just barely) and am represented by her sister, Linda. Tweedledee and Tweedledum...

I like Issa. A lot. He's a good man.

He is, and I like him too. You're lucky. Hopefully redistricting won't mess that up for you in a few years, like it did my city. My town used to be in Ed Royce's district, and I liked that. He even used to come to our city's July 4th celebration every year, and would actually hang out and speak with voters.

Linda doesn't come around much. My city has traditionally been heavily Republican, so that's probably why.

Reactions: Katya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread