Travel and Vaping E-Cig Banned on American Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
I carry 2 mini bottles of juice. My regular juice produces clouds of vapor. My second bottle does not. I use the low vapor / high nic for the plane ride. One or two hits blown down the sink drain works for me, every two hours or so.

I could have sworn I read a story about someone vaping on a....US Air flight?? He went into the bathroom to vape and ended up setting off the alarm.
One of the comments back was that they would just blow the vapor into a paper towel while in the bathroom.

HTH...

Before I type ANY of this, I must add that I do not reccomend ANY of these practices, and I am just speakinf from my personal experience while travelling as a regular passenger on civill aircraft....

As far as the airlines go... Not many of them even know what an ecig is nor do their research before banning them on their flights. The airline I currently work for had never heard of an ecig before. I was called into the office by inflight management, and they were amazed at what this thing actually was, however asked me to treat it like a real cig until they can get a company wide yes or no answer on its use.

Most airlines you can vape right in your seat without being noticed... especially at window seats.

I just vaped on an American Airlines flight out of Miami sitting right in the First row of First class right by the galley... I was never looked at.

As far as the lavs..... Yes it IS Disgusting to even think of vaping in there, especially the chance of any of the fumes spilling out of the toilet coming anywhere NEAR my atomizer *Shudders* However desperate times calls for desperate measures...

The majority of smoke detectors in airplane lavatories do not detect smoke per se, rather than light density entering the sensor in the smoke detector. So, if you are vaping anywhere near that thing, it will most likely go off, however if you hold your vape in a lil longer, or exhale your vape downward, almost all vapor has evaporated before reaching the detector level.

For TSA- All I can say is Nic liquid is treated like any other liquid when passing TSA for non airline crew members, so remember 3-1-1. It is up to the individual TSA agents disgression as to whether or not something is suspicious or not. So Smile, be polite, ,and answer any questions they ask you. You should be just fine.

I have vaped on many major International airlines with no problems at all. Its so nice to not have to cram into those glass cages in Frankfurt where you dont even have to light a smoke to get nic, justt breathe the clouds in there. Not to mention being looked at like a caged animal in the zoo!

Sorry this post was so long... any questions regarding ecigs and airlines, airports, TSA, and travelling, feel free to PM me!

Safe travels!

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Sorry this post was so long... any questions regarding ecigs and airlines, airports, TSA, and travelling, feel free to PM me!

Safe travels!

Not long at all and very informative!
I left the 'biz' 10 years ago and so much has changed, especially after 9-11) it's almost like I was never there. One of my BFFs is still in it as a CSR, but getting info isn't the same as when you are around it 50+ hours a week...

THX for the insiders scoop!

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Anything I can do to help Mlrgrl!

Hell the biz has changed so much just in the past year I have been in it! I only intended to do this short term to see the world... But it definitely gets in your blood!

1 year = engaged
5 year = Married & in it for life! LOL

Yup; none of the jobs are for everyone, but if it's in your blood....oh, the fun & memories you will have!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Do you think I will be OK vaping on the way to Egypt? I suppose I could do without the e-cig for the flight but what about my juice hehe!
Tribal just got home from a long trip, no problems. I carried at least 4 Janty/801 a USB pass through, 2 4cc e-liquid and 2 10cc liquid bottles on my carry-on. Went through these security points.
OKC Oklahoma City
ORD Chicago X2
FRT Frankfurt
TLV Tel-Aviv
VIE Vienna
CPH Copenhagen X2
TXL Berlin

Vaped discreetly on all legs, well actually vaped in the open on the ORD-FRT leg no problem the attendants were amused.

Posted this elsewhere.
ptjd-albums-israel-picture1008-vaping-tel-aviv.jpg

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Tribal just got home from a long trip, no problems. I carried at least 4 Janty/801 a USB pass through, 2 4cc e-liquid and 2 10cc liquid bottles on my carry-on. Went through these security points.
OKC Oklahoma City
ORD Chicago X2
FRT Frankfurt
TLV Tel-Aviv
VIE Vienna
CPH Copenhagen X2
TXL Berlin

Vaped discreetly on all legs, well actually vaped in the open on the ORD-FRT leg no problem the attendants were amused.

I'm looking at your passthrough. I put a small glob of clear silicone on the wire end of mine and tapered it to a point around the wire. Extends about 1/2" out. Keeps the wire from flexing too much and breaking at the point of entrance.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I'm looking at your passthrough. I put a small glob of clear silicone on the wire end of mine and tapered it to a point around the wire. Extends about 1/2" out. Keeps the wire from flexing too much and breaking at the point of entrance.

Jim not a bad Idea, I tend to coil the whole thing like we do with computer cords, mouse Etc... when we pack for travel.

Last edited:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Jim not a bad Idea, I tend to coil the whole thing like we do with computer cords, mouse Etc... when we pack for travel.

Exactly. Too much flexing at the entrance hole will eventually break the wire. Especially if they didn't de-burr the hole before they inserted the wire.
I used clear, and I can still see the LED with no problem.

If you happen to work around places with machinery. New parts, like shafts & rods usually have a plastic mesh sleeve over them for protection in shipping. You'll find them in the garbage of any maintenance shop. I cut them to length for holding my cords & wires. I've found them in all different colors too.

desync0

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I got a reply from AA, but it has a confidentiality clause at the bottom so I'll have to paraphrase....

Basically they don't care if you have them with you, they just don't want you using them on board because there's been no testing of RF emissions when the atomizer coil is powered up.

Also they don't know the effects of propylene glycol mist being distributed through a compressed cabin.

** end paraphrasing **

Can't really blame them, people here are PG sensitive and switch to VG, or vise versa. Someone sitting 10 rows away getting recycled air might not know they're sensitive or allergic to it and start having issues. Not likely when you compare the amount of vapour vs cabin air volume, but if I owned an airline I'd rather be safe then sorry until it was studied.

Just sucks it's easier (read *cheaper*) to say no then do research.

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Also they don't know the effects of propylene glycol mist being distributed through a compressed cabin.

Hmmm... "back in MY day...." PG in a 50/50 mix with water is what was used to deice the major airlines (they've since switched to a different chemical). And believe me, if the wind shifted and you weren't in a position to be waaay higher than what you were sprayin', you got what felt like a mouthful of the stuff, and there were times that the odor of the stuff would get inside the cabin.
OSHA always claimed that it was OK for us to work with/in; but of course, they still made us sign wavers saying we'd never sue if any of the following side effects occured to us personally:
--insert everything under the sun, up to and including infertility--

And since you can't hear the tone of my writing; it was basically mentioned as an informational fact.
YES; there is definatly people who react differently to everything from certain kinds of perfumes to they were able to eat peanuts fine one day, then have a serious reaction the following week. The body works in mysterous ways!

I just think it's funny that all those years I was ducking NOT to get PG on me, especially anywhere near my face & lips, here I am choosing to inhale it!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I see a lot of comments about using an ecig on a plane, and I didn't see one comment about what could conceivably be carried inside one of these cigarettes. We sure have come a long way from 9/11, apparently. C'mon, people, lest we forget????? I am also a
little mortified that AA did not speak to the security issue, unless they were just being politically correct or just covert. Also the concept of bacterial or biological contaminant does not escape me..maybe I'm just being overly sensitive........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread