E-Cigarettes Change Hundreds of Immune Genes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham66

Sep 21, 2013
USA
This has been discussed on this forum before, but I was wondering if their is any new information on this subject?
According to the articles below E-Cigarettes Change/suppress Immune Genes, supposedly higher than real cigarettes. Although the article states that cinnamon-flavored e-liquids cause the greatest Change/suppress Immune Genes.

The question I ask is: does unflavored e-liquid (just Pg, Vg and nicotine) cause a similar effect to Immune Genes or is it just a specific flavoring causing it? I can't seem to find a study showing just unflavored e liquid being used. Because PG and VG are antibacterial; perhaps they alone can cause some immune genes to suppress?

Exposing Discovery Health’s Misinformation on E-Cigarettes

http:// news. unchealthcare. org/news/2016/february/put-that-in-your-e-cigarette-and-smoke-it-or-should-you

Put that in your e-cigarette and smoke it, or should you? — News Room - UNC Health Care

http:// arstechnica. com/science/2016/02/e-cigs-shut-down-hundreds-of-immune-system-genes-regular-cigs-dont/
E-Cigarettes Change Hundreds of Immune Genes

Ecigs 1/3 to 1/2 as bad as traditional cigarettes

https:// www. ncbi.nlm.nih. gov/pubmed/27288488
E-cigarette use results in suppression of immune and inflammatory-response genes in nasal epithelial cells similar to cigarette smoke. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited by a moderator:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Because PG and VG are antibacterial; perhaps they alone can cause some immune genes to suppress?
I have been saying that the genes state would be normally inactive (suppressed)
in a more sterile environment. It's the more sterile environment that causes the suppression.
What causes the more sterile environment isn't a factor necessarily. A now notorious study showed that
cells bathed in cigarette smoke killed so many cells so quickly the results were voided more or less.
The same cells bathed in e-vapor survived for some time before mortality set in at a significant
rate. In either case infection was not the cause of any cell death.
Mike

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
The question I ask is: does unflavored e-liquid (just Pg, Vg and nicotine) cause a similar effect to Immune Genes or is it just a specific flavoring causing it?

I don't know the answer to your question. After reading the article(s) you noted, it doesn't appear they do either. One thing I do know, whoever's funding the study will get the results they want... :cool:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
This has been discussed on this forum before, but I was wondering if their is any new information on this subject?
According to the articles below E-Cigarettes Change/suppress Immune Genes, supposedly higher than real cigarettes. Although the article states that cinnamon-flavored e-liquids cause the greatest Change/suppress Immune Genes.

The question I ask is: does unflavored e-liquid (just Pg, Vg and nicotine) cause a similar effect to Immune Genes or is it just a specific flavoring causing it? I can't seem to find a study showing just unflavored e liquid being used. Because PG and VG are antibacterial; perhaps they alone can cause some immune genes to suppress?

Put that in your e-cigarette and smoke it, or should you? — News Room - UNC Health Care

E-Cigarettes Change Hundreds of Immune Genes

I broke the links...
If you google, the top one is UNC Health Care and the bottom on is from Newsmax

Reactions: mattiem
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread