E-Cigarettes, Miracle or Menace? BBC Horizon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Nice to see @VapingBad on the TV.

Now, with that aside mentioned, I thought it was a great program.

Let's hope it does some good. (It ought to...) :)
We did film for nearly 5 hours which has ended up on the cutting room floor, but it's such a huge subject that's fair enough. I really wish they had used the bit where he ask what it would take for us to stop vaping and everyone said they were not going to. This was me with a bunch of other London vapers that I don't think are one here.
vbhorizon02.jpg

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Recorded this last night and watched it today. For those that don't know, the BBC here, and in particular the Horizon programme, is quite respected and would have more poke than some of the other "entertainment" focussed channels.

The timing with this is very good and I am still clinging onto some hope that someone with power will see what is presented here and make an informed decision about the scale of the regulations.

vape-addict

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
mississippi
They show a lot of different testing in this video on vapor. Very interesting that menthol was more harmful to living cells than a Pina Colada flavored ejuice. So, all of these vapers that have been so worried about diacetyl may indeed find out that is not where their concern should be. That is what I have been saying is a good possibility all along.

What he didn't say was the cells regenerate.. I smoked and now vape menthol for 30+ years so according to his science I shouldn't have any cells left

Dudeus Nordicus

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Some ways away from koala forests
Agreed.........though politically incorrect:rolleyes:

Now, is there any link I can download this from? I really want a copy for prosperity :D

If you have the right browser addon for downloading Youtube videos you can download it from the Youtube page directly in 720p HD (1280x720 mp4). Youtube doesn't seem to carry subtitles for it yet, but they may show up later.

If you are familiar with torrents it is available in x264 (mp4) and x265 (latest compression codec; if you need to ask get the first one which works with most current systems).

These are also in 720p and include english subtitles.

PS crxess, your spelling is out of your prosperior... :D

Reactions: cookiebun

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
What he didn't say was the cells regenerate.. I smoked and now vape menthol for 30+ years so according to his science I shouldn't have any cells left

Yes, they do regenerate. I think that most people know this (?) It was still interesting to see that menthol was more damaging to begin with than diacetyl was.

My point was not that you should not vape menthol, it was pointing out that some people are so afraid of the tiny amounts of diacetyl in flavoring when it may not be an issue at all in the extremely small amounts that we are using in our eliquid.

I smoked menthol cigarettes for 37 years. No current issues from the diacetyl or the menthol that was contained in them ;)

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
PS crxess, your spelling is out of your prosperior...

Thanks..........I think:lol: Spell check usually says I'm right, even when I'm wrong:D

I'll check out some software. would go firefox add-on, unfortunately I use Nightly and they are rarely in sync on add-on functionality.:unsure:

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion ;)

Reactions: LaraC

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I tried further searching for the lab results on more e liquid flavorings by this same laboratory in the UK without much success-(Matcha Gurevich e cigarette flavor testing)

EDIT- Probably because I have no idea how to correctly spell his name!

Maciej Goniewicz, PhD, PharmD
Assistant Professor of Oncology
Department of Health Behavior
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Buffalo, NY 14263

I found his name doing a search for: toxicology research of e-liquid on human cells
His was first link (though not to the specific juice testing; I'm not sure that is published yet).
If you youtube search his name you can find a couple of older videos (2-3 years old) of him. You'll know immediately this is the same person by both voice and appearance.

Also, I would offer a quiet caution about his specific juice tests; unless you are using his exact flavor AND brand the results are not universal. If you have experience mixing your own juice you will know there is a vast selection of ingredients available to anyone making e-liquid.
Mfg "A" makes a pina colada with 7 ingredients and Mfg. "B" makes their pina colada with 13 entirely different ingredients. They will taste similar but that does not mean that the level of risk is automatically the same.
I am not saying that it is useless, just don't try to directly apply it to all flavors with the same name.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Also, I would offer a quiet caution about his specific juice tests; unless you are using his exact flavor AND brand the results are not universal. If you have experience mixing your own juice you will know there is a vast selection of ingredients available to anyone making e-liquid.
Mfg "A" makes a pina colada with 7 ingredients and Mfg. "B" makes their pina colada with 13 entirely different ingredients. They will taste similar but that does not mean that the level of risk is automatically the same.
I am not saying that it is useless, just don't try to directly apply it to all flavors with the same name.

............And Presto, we have the FDA Demanding separate PMTA's on Every Variation :ohmy:

Statement accurate
Result :facepalm:

Dudeus Nordicus

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Some ways away from koala forests
Thanks..........I think:lol: Spell check usually says I'm right, even when I'm wrong:D

Oh, no disrespect whatsoever was intended. You or spelchek flipped posterity into prosperity, I joined the fun with the posterior -> prosperior reverse. In our neck of woods we really like our bad puns so thanks for getting us started. ;)

I'll check out some software. would go firefox add-on, unfortunately I use Nightly and they are rarely in sync on add-on functionality.:unsure:

FWIW, I tried using the Download YouTube Videos as MP4 Firefox addon and it offered me up to 720p version.

Another great tool for downloading tube videos is the command line based youtube-dl. It's a more involved manual process, but gives you more options over media quality and formats.

Youtube sometime applies geo-blocking in some parts of the world, but it worked fine for continental Europe.

Happy hunting.

Reactions: LaraC

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
My interest peaked after watching the Horizon program so delving deeper into testing of flavorings on the human cells is natural curiosity. @IDJoel , thanks for posting your find. I turned up some other research performed by independent labs hired by e liquid manufacturers but when driving behind a bus going up hill awhile later, I was engulfed in a mushroom cloud of black diesel and got back my perspective!
I am happy with Vaping and proud of myself and this community for stopping smoking-they can test all they want, my mind is made up.

E-cig industry test fails to detect harmful levels of diacetyl, university testing shows

Newtothevapelyf3

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2016
Watch this, share this. Absolutely brilliant from Dr. Michael Mosley last night on BBC science show "Horizon".

Quotes from the show (thanks to @evan le'garde in the thread for pulling them out!):

So basically what I got from this was, vaping is still hurting your lungs like smoking. We don't know the long term affect of the vaping but it is 95% safer? So basically what does this mean, you can die from vaping? Lung cancer? I'd rather vape over smoke any day

Last edited:

Telmos

May 11, 2016
And here I have been using menthol for the past two years because I had heard that it was the safest. Looks like I'm picking up some Pina Colada this afternoon, and I hope I happen to like it! The guy doing this research said he is trying to get that info out, but I don't think they mentioned where you can actually find it. The whole video was very informative and unbiased, thanks for sharing that. We need fair and unbiased treatment of vaping right about yesterday....

I found an article that seems to do more studies on cinnamon flavor as well: Identification of toxicants in cinnamon-flavored electronic cigarette refill fluids

Highlights
•Most cinnamon-flavored refill fluids were cytotoxic to embryonic and adult cells.
•Human embryonic stem cells were more sensitive than adult pulmonary fibroblasts.
•Four chemicals were identified in cinnamon-flavored refill fluids.
•Dipropylene glycol and vanillin had low cytotoxicity.
•Cinnamaldehyde and 2-methoxycinnamaldehyde were cytotoxic in the MTT assay.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to full article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread