E-Cigarettes, Miracle or Menace? BBC Horizon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I did watch the whole video yesterday. One thing I would have liked to see was them measure the bacterial or viral content of the room before and after vaping. It is my theory, and I've seen it elsewhere, that germs are greatly reduced in rooms that have been vaped in. They were looking for negatives. I wish they would have looked for positives during that segment.
Not only do we get less colds and illnesses, but so do many of our family members who don't even vape themselves!

Good point. PG has antibacterial and antifungal properties. In e-juice, PG provides those beneficial side effects for the vaper and his environs, which should't be overlooked. Just another reason never to "go full VG". ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jingles

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
Good to see a video that went into as much depth as 45 minutes will allow.

I got the feeling that vaping is really complex to monitor because there are so many variables that affect the imapct on the lungs. The draw style, the different ohms and builds, the thousands of juice favours and formula variations....will we ever get a vaping system that is one standard for all users....i seriously doubt it, unless it is enforced...i certainly see this in the pipeline as evidenced by europe's ruling on uniform tank sizes.

Cigarettes by comparison are just stupid simple.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Good to see a video that went into as much depth as 45 minutes will allow.

I got the feeling that vaping is really complex to monitor because there are so many variables that affect the imapct on the lungs. The draw style, the different ohms and builds, the thousands of juice favours and formula variations....will we ever get a vaping system that is one standard for all users....i seriously doubt it, unless it is enforced...i certainly see this in the pipeline as evidenced by europe's ruling on uniform tank sizes.

Cigarettes by comparison are just stupid simple.

I disagree with the perceived "complexity" of vaping. It's as simple as you want to make it, which is one of the greatest things about the current market. The ingredients in e-juice are very few, and already well understood. The rate of exposure to those substances in aerosol form, (basically how much juice one goes through), has everything to do with the effect/s vaping has on the body. The user's draw style, the resistance of the atomizer, and the number of coils involved are irrelevant, except as they affect one's e-juice consumption rate.

There are thousands of chemicals released by a burning cigarette, and their interactions with the body are infinitely more complex, (and harmful).

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You should copy this and post it to the CASAA testimonials page. Strong story :wub:

E-cigarette User Testimonials

While there.... Become a CASAA Member

Free to sign up and we need more voices. We are getting louder and soon we will be able to drown out the naysayers. ;)

Yeah, I said earlier that there were a few things that didn't quite set well with me. The above in bold is another.....

ANTZ Programmed Social Order over Decades - From Smoking is Unhealthy to Smoking(or looks like) is Socially unacceptable.
This speaks to Mental Programming and Social Dis-function through Propaganda Campaigns pertaining Specifically to an Agenda.

The only way to combat this is through Re-education rather than Law.
Think about it;)

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I meant vaping is simple for the end user....but complex to medically research all the permutations that exist.

Uh, no. E-juice is propylene glycol/vegetable glycerin, flavoring, (or not), and nicotine, (or not). You can count the ingredients on one hand with finger/s left over. That's not even remotely "complex to medically research".

Your attitude seems to be the all too common, "it's probably not too bad, but we just don't know, so let's assume it's bad and impose the following "common sense" (overreaching) regulations.."

I reject that entirely. We do know that vaping is almost entirely harmless over the course of several years. The only thing we cannot yet know is its effect over decades. Regardless, it's certainly far less harmful than smoking, or even regularly inhaling the air in a major city, (or while stuck in traffic).

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
ANTZ Programmed Social Order over Decades - From Smoking is Unhealthy to Smoking(or looks like) is Socially unacceptable.
This speaks to Mental Programming and Social Dis-function through Propaganda Campaigns pertaining Specifically to an Agenda.

The only way to combat this is through Re-education rather than Law.
Think about it;)
And for those unfamiliar with what you're talking about...
Rampant Antismoking Signifies Grave Danger

It's a clear and well-drawn plan explicitly formulated decades ago....
Carried out precisely and consistently over the years...
And it's results have led us to where we are now...

Which is that we are social outcasts, purposely looked down upon and scorned.

If that does not make you mad, just read the link I posted above.
If that still doesn't make you mad, then I really don't know what else to tell you.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Uh, no. E-juice is propylene glycol/vegetable glycerin, flavoring, (or not), and nicotine, (or not). You can count the ingredients on one hand with finger/s left over. That's not even remotely "complex to medically research".

Your attitude seems to be the all too common, "it's probably not too bad, but we just don't know, so let's assume it's bad and impose the following "common sense" (overreaching) regulations.."

I reject that entirely. We do know that vaping is almost entirely harmless over the course of several years. The only thing we cannot yet know is its effect over decades. Regardless, it's certainly far less harmful than smoking, or even regularly inhaling the air in a major city, (or while stuck in traffic).
That is sort of like saying cigarettes are simply tobacco, paper and a filter. Each component of our juice is made up of other components, some, even though FDA approved, are approved for consumption (as it pertains to flavoring), they may not be as safe for prolonged inhalation, or they may be, we really do not know. Smoking is broken down to the molecular level to prove its harm, vaping will also be broken down to that level, so to say you can count the ingredients on one hand would be false. Most, if not all, ingredients in juice were not created with vaping in mind, we adapted them to our needs. Just because we are using ingredients that have been determined to be safe, we not using them as they are intended. Common-sense (light) regulation is needed until we know more. When I say needed, I mean it is needed to keep the industry in check, so they will be producing at least moderately safe products for the consumer.

I fully agree vaping is a "no-brainer" option instead of smoking, even vaping in the worst possible scenario is still better than smoking. The video itself refutes your "almost entirely" safe claim in the limited tests it conducted. Until I watched this video I thought menthol was the best/safest choice for flavoring, those past claims (I heeded to) were apparently wrong, just an example of how we are learning as we go

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I also thought that big tobacco has a larger input in countries where their financial input is larger and so their rules go. Like certain countries where corruption is rife and they fund their government with so much income. it is understandable from this point of view. I don't know how your health system really works but is it because you pay for your healthcare but we get everything free? It just costs our nhs too much to keep taxing cigarettes but then paying ridiculous amounts for the healthcare.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I watched it on the night and it seems us in the uk are getting things a lot easier than you guys. Why is that? Why does our country not feel the need to impose these stupid regulations? I thought you were in a better economic situation than us?
I'm sure we both have Big Pharma to battle.
And to whatever extent there is Big Tobacco in the fray as well.

So what is the real difference across the pond?

It's probably safe to say it's all contained right about here...
Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Oh right. Thought I read something about that agreement. People are still way behind though I was vaping outside a shop today and two guys were having a convo bout me. "But it does look like smoke though, I imagine it's as bad for you" They were eating portions of chips (fries) at the time. I just kept quiet.
we are also blatantly gonna exit from Europe soon as well. Only a good thing imo baring in mind I know nothing of economics. Big Pharma small fry compared with Brussels.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
And for those unfamiliar with what you're talking about...
Rampant Antismoking Signifies Grave Danger

It's a clear and well-drawn plan explicitly formulated decades ago....
Carried out precisely and consistently over the years...
And it's results have led us to where we are now...

Which is that we are social outcasts, purposely looked down upon and scorned.

If that does not make you mad, just read the link I posted above.
If that still doesn't make you mad, then I really don't know what else to tell you.

Almost makes one feel like the Sheep that got out of the Pen :oops:(Soon to be wrangled and placed safely back with the fold)

Reactions: Woofer

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Uh, no. It's propylene glycol/vegetable glycerin, flavoring, (or not), and nicotine, (or not). You can count the ingredients on one hand with finger/s left over. That's not even remotely "complex to medically research".
That is sort of like saying cigarettes are simply tobacco, paper and a filter...

No, it's not like that, and that's as far as your argument goes here. Everything changes when you introduce combustion to the equation.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The thing I found most intriguing was the people who used e-cigs in the test group were given basic ego set ups (possible 2nd gen devices) but Dr Mosley used a nautilus and an evic mini(?) which are both more advanced devices.

How much easier would the vapers have found it if they had been given more up to date equipment?

I don't understand your point.

First, all but one participant using vape gear was quit at the end of the 4 weeks, which I suspect is par for the course for any 'blind' group who may have no particular interest in actually using vape gear.

"Easier" in this game is a very broad playing field. What any given person finds easy to use in vape gear another person is going to dislike, find geeky, overwhelming, or overcomplicated. "More up to date equipment" when I switched was an eGo battery with atomizer and polyfill cartridge. Sorry to disappoint - but that actually worked.

None of the documentary allowed for a factor of or comments regarding ease of quitting or ease of use. (With the exception of a couple seconds long anecdotal comments.) This wasn't an equipment review show, it was - if anything - about effectiveness. If it was "not easy" I don't think this small test group using Ego gear would have had an 86% success rate.
:2c:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I don't understand your point.

First, all but one participant using vape gear was quit at the end of the 4 weeks, which I suspect is par for the course for any 'blind' group who may have no particular interest in actually using vape gear.

"Easier" in this game is a very broad playing field. What any given person finds easy to use in vape gear another person is going to dislike, find geeky, overwhelming, or overcomplicated. "More up to date equipment" when I switched was an eGo battery with atomizer and polyfill cartridge. Sorry to disappoint - but that actually worked.

None of the documentary allowed for a factor of or comments regarding ease of quitting or ease of use. (With the exception of a couple seconds long anecdotal comments.) This wasn't an equipment review show, it was - if anything - about effectiveness. If it was "not easy" I don't think this small test group using Ego gear would have had an 86% success rate.
:2c:
I quit smoking using ego gear too. Minimal fuss 'n' muss.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
No, it's not like that, and that's as far as your argument goes here. Everything changes when you introduce combustion to the equation.
You do not need combustion to create toxins, if that were true we would have no need for temperature controlled devices. Heating juice, wire or wicking beyond tolerable levels will alter the chemistry. We are on the same side here, but there is a lot we need to learn before we can just let this industry continue to be the free-for-all it has been.

To this point it has been about which company can one up the other, and less about what really makes this industry...us. If some of these bigger companies would have put half of their R&D budget into some scientific research, we may not be assuming half as much as we are at this point.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
He had me go out and buy the patch and the gum, told me to slap on the patch and chew the gum when I felt like it and smoke my reqular amount of cigs the first day. He then told me that on subsequent days to smoke one less each day, continue with the patch as directed and chew the gum for as long as I liked.

So I was doing it right :blink:

yet it still didn't work for me :facepalm:

Reactions: beckdg

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
If some of these bigger companies would have put half of their R&D budget into some scientific research, we may not be assuming half as much as we are at this point.
If the FDA had put .0001% of our money into research rather than dumping it into paperwork they might be giving electronic cigarettes away on the street to children.
We just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread