E-Cigarettes, Miracle or Menace? BBC Horizon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Jack :censored: was appointed :facepalm:
Yep, that was my point. The very concept of bureaucracy is anathema to our constitution, yet that's what we're ruled by now. An alphabet soup of fed agencies cranking out thousands of regulations every year; which have the force of law and the violation of many of them are considered felonies, with associated hefty fines and prison terms.

Ain't "democracy" great?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You should copy this and post it to the CASAA testimonials page. Strong story :wub:
Thank you for the kind words! I actually posted a longer version of this May 5th (you can do a search for "aka IDJoel@ECF" to find mine... Wow! There's a bunch!)
S O M E B O D Y didn't read my "signature." :pervy::lol::lol::lol: Too late! Already done!! :D

Seriously; thank you for asking. We need to be encouraging every person who vapes (or sees the positive aspects of vaping), every time, to get involved and make sure our voices are heard.
So thank you again for asking!:thumbs:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
They show a lot of different testing in this video on vapor. Very interesting that menthol was more harmful to living cells than a Pina Colada flavored ejuice. So, all of these vapers that have been so worried about diacetyl may indeed find out that is not where their concern should be. That is what I have been saying is a good possibility all along.
I've argued the same right here on these pages.

We've just been blinded by the little bit of info we have to hold onto.

I'd put dollars to doughnuts that freckled lemonade for example is well worse than most concoctions including any of capellas V1 flavors. I know I suffered heightened acute nasal symptoms until I found another flavor... and they came back when I went back... and again when I found the DIY strawberry lemonade flavor west flavor that makes it.

:thumb:

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
You would think that EVERY Health Organization and Agency would do the same Also.
Unfortunately people assume the acronym FDA stands for health when CLEARLY two INDUSTRIES are found in the name.

And their actions CONTINUE to prove it's fitting.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I was thinking of more along the lines of not a ready product, but safe components to use in it. Similar to how there is an evaluation criteria for allowed and prohibited substances, methods, and ingredients for something to be considered organic.

Example:
- Nonsynthetic substances prohibited for use in organic crop production.
- Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic livestock production.
No.

Not similar to that at all.

PLEASE!!!!!

FDA organic is not the same as organic and is anywhere from potentially to downright poisonous and partially stripped of nutrients.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I think the lesson of is that everything should be done in moderation, because repeatedly exposing yourself to the safe elements or stresses is just something our body was not built for. Too much exercise is bad for you, too much sleep is bad for you and too much fruit is bad fro you (85grams of apple seeds has enough cyanide to kill a grown man!)

Eating enough apples to coincidentally consume 85 grams of apple seeds within a time frame that could kill you would put most people in surgery to correct a distended rectum before the end of the day.

Tapatyped

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
The FDA doesn't test anything. All they do is set testing standards and such (though not, apparently, in the case of these Deeming Regulations, which have no standards down on paper). Then the applicant provides all the testing, etc., at their expense.
The word applicant in this post is freely interchangeable with the word sponsor.

:thumb:

Tapatyped

Telmos

May 11, 2016
Eating enough apples to coincidentally consume 85 grams of apple seeds within a time frame that could kill you would put most people in surgery to correct a distended rectum before the end of the day.

Tapatyped
Agreed. The point is that we consume potentially deadly toxins every day, under the false assumption that it's healthy so consuming even more of it would make it even healthier. While playing the devils advocate here, I could easily compare this to vaping. Where eating a slice of cake once a week with a few drops of flavor may bring no harm (at least from the flavor/glycerin/glycol component), inhaling multiple heated milliliters per day of it into your lungs is not necessarily the same thing.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Where eating a slice of cake once a week with a few drops of flavor may bring no harm (at least from the flavor/glycerin/glycol component), inhaling multiple heated milliliters per day of it into your lungs is not necessarily the same thing.
Playing devils advocate here myself for a moment: Bakers that make these cakes all day, every day, ARE inhaling these flavorings and they have not had any adverse reactions yet.

I'm just saying they are banning things on the misguided assumption that something could maybe, possibly be, despite evidence to the contrary, be harmful and we are going to not make it available to those that ARE using something that HAS been shown to be harmful to some of the population.

And we have been told that even though we are healthier we don't count because we are anecdotal. Even though there are millions of us that have had improved health...we don't count.

We are invisible.

I vape, I vote. I will no longer stand by and be invisible.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Playing devils advocate here myself for a moment: Bakers that make these cakes all day, every day, ARE inhaling these flavorings and they have not had any adverse reactions yet.

I'm just saying they are banning things on the misguided assumption that something could maybe, possibly be, despite evidence to the contrary, be harmful and we are going to not make it available to those that ARE using something that HAS been shown to be harmful to some of the population.

And we have been told that even though we are healthier we don't count because we are anecdotal. Even though there are millions of us that have had improved health...we don't count.

We are invisible.

I vape, I vote. I will no longer stand by and be invisible.
In fact vaping most likely has the safest track record of any recreational activity. Up to 20 million users in just the USA and how many deaths? Or bad accidents? Even allowing for a few misused mech mods blowing up, the safety record is likely better than cell phones in that regard. It's hard to find any case of actual harm to a vaper.

Where are the longer term studies of lung function among vapers? It's a simple test that can be administered once or twice a year. Likely no one is studying it because the funder has no interest in the null result that would come out of it. All they want to do is asphyxiate rodents and kill lung tissue residing in petrie dishes. Because that is easy to get the desired outcome...

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Agreed. The point is that we consume potentially deadly toxins every day, under the false assumption that it's healthy so consuming even more of it would make it even healthier. While playing the devils advocate here, I could easily compare this to vaping. Where eating a slice of cake once a week with a few drops of flavor may bring no harm (at least from the flavor/glycerin/glycol component), inhaling multiple heated milliliters per day of it into your lungs is not necessarily the same thing.
You're still focused on the seed and ignoring the apple.

The seed = flavorings and such that are assumed to be "potentially dangerous".

Whereas the apple... the nic... is what we consume until we feel we've had enough.

At some point we all may eat enough apples to get ........ (nic sick). Then we don't eat as many apples in the future and go about our days happier and more comfortable.

Never reaching death or chronic illness from the seed (the flavors).

Sub ohm and high wattage have blasted us way past what we thought was possible each of the recent few years.

Yet there's still no reports or evidence of this "too much of a good thing" example you're imagining.

Even in the zero nic, competition crowd.

Tapatyped

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Tapatyped

Which Clearly proves it is the amount that is the Poison. So goes the nicotine argument. So goes the Sugar argument. etc. etc.

Pick up a Cause, Pick up a Drum and Start Beating!

We have our Marching Band...........Lower Health Risk!

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Which Clearly proves it is the amount that is the Poison. So goes the nicotine argument. So goes the Sugar argument. etc. etc.

Pick up a Cause, Pick up a Drum and Start Beating!

We have our Marching Band...........Lower Health Risk!
I'm with you.

But!

There are a few things that are so inundated in the western life style that "there goes that argument" just doesn't work anymore.

Sugar, salt and food additives for preservation or create food addiction are in this doesn't work camp.

A single mother of 3 (such that my wife by all practical means can be considered) is up against the wall attempting to feed and eat healthy. What with all the work and research involved while attempting to keep a house, a property, 3 kids and a job...

That crap is in everything... and now everything healthy is genetically modified for better yield and the fields are chemically treated to DEATH (including "organic" farms) [thanks FDA] introducing poisons that don't completely wash off while eliminating taste and nutrition. Even limiting shelf life...

Scared of fat? Eat fat free (added sugar)
Scared of sugar? Eat sugar free (cancer and diabetes causing sucralose)
Farm too small? Pump drugs in the feed then inject more... AND... keep the cattle in tiny, filthy quarters... then let them out of their slop for a short while and you can sell the product as free roaming.

If you're not growing it yourself, the poisons of a free market are nearly completely unavoidable.

ETA: What I'm trying to say is sugar and salt would be the worst possible examples, it would be nearly impossible not to consume them in excess from market purchased foods... even if you never used them in cooking or at the table.

Ever notice daily % for sugar is somehow missing on all your nutrition labels?

Tapatyped

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'm with you.

But!

There are a few things that are so inundated in the western life style that "there goes that argument" just doesn't work anymore.

Sugar, salt and food additives for preservation or create food addiction are in this doesn't work camp.

A single mother of 3 (such that my wife by all practical means can be considered) is up against the wall attempting to feed and eat healthy. What with all the work and research involved while attempting to keep a house, a property, 3 kids and a job...

That crap is in everything... and now everything healthy is genetically modified for better yield and the fields are chemically treated to DEATH (including "organic" farms) [thanks FDA] introducing poisons that don't completely wash off while eliminating taste and nutrition. Even limiting shelf life...

Scared of fat? Eat fat free (added sugar)
Scared of sugar? Eat sugar free (cancer and diabetes causing sucralose)
Farm too small? Pump drugs in the feed then inject more... AND... keep the cattle in tiny, filthy quarters... then let them out of their slop for a short while and you can sell the product as free roaming.

If you're not growing it yourself, the poisons of a free market are nearly completely unavoidable.

ETA: What I'm trying to say is sugar and salt would be the worst possible examples, it would be nearly impossible not to consume them in excess from market purchased foods... even if you never used them in cooking or at the table.

Tapatyped

I completely understand the analogy, though I squarely blame over regulation equal in guilt as to the manor and extent in which foods have not only been slow poisoning but changing us at a DNA level to be passed along to our youth.

We are old, I am older and have seen things change which many simply accept as the norm.
I do not feel these manipulations effected life in generation one, but we became Ground Zero for change. We bore children effected by changes we went through and passed along, then they did the same.
Today we have massive numbers of ADD, ADHD, etc.etc. adults as opposed to a few generations ago. Exposure, changes in Societal perception, a combination? I haven't the answer.

I do believe this country is hell bent on self destruction and has been so for several Decades. I also believe there are good people getting run over in the process.

I feel Change comes through a thought process Society as a whole no longer has and the Idea that Government will fix it for us has proven time and time again to be a FAIL on many levels.

Again, like the Majority, I do not have the answer. I will fight for what I personally believe in through careful study.:)

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Ah... you struck a pet peeve of mine... according to a bottle of regular Pepsi, a 12 oz serving provides 14% of my DV for carbs. Seven servings of Pepsi fulfills 100% of my carb needs. A couple of eggs and bacon in the morning supplies all my basic DVs, and Done.

I could sub a few slices of bread for those carbs, but according to the label why bother and as you mention, there is no FDA recommended limit to my sugar intake so it's all good.

All courtesy of the FDA. Such a treasure trove of nutritional research.

(eta: yes, there could be just a bit of sarcasm in the above)

I do disagree to some extent of your analysis above, though. Obesity and Diabetes (even among thin active people now) is at epidemic proportions, compared to 30 years ago or so. The difference in diet is primarily less fat, replaced with sugar (as you noted). No matter what you eat- out of the produce and fresh meat sections, or processed foods, you have the same potential GMO/chemical feedstock additive types of concerns, the food processors use the same raw materials, but then add sugar and chemicals. Cutting sugar is not hard except kids seem to be raised on sugar now. Cooking from scratch does not have to take hours and can be done fairly economically with shrewd choices. That alone would probably be 80-90% of the problem.

Just my own uneducated assessment of things :D

Telmos

May 11, 2016
You're still focused on the seed and ignoring the apple.

The seed = flavorings and such that are assumed to be "potentially dangerous".

Whereas the apple... the nic... is what we consume until we feel we've had enough.

At some point we all may eat enough apples to get ........ (nic sick). Then we don't eat as many apples in the future and go about our days happier and more comfortable.

Never reaching death or chronic illness from the seed (the flavors).

Sub ohm and high wattage have blasted us way past what we thought was possible each of the recent few years.

Yet there's still no reports or evidence of this "too much of a good thing" example you're imagining.

Even in the zero nic, competition crowd.

Tapatyped
Thats a

On point! From all the research I myself practically am a doctor, nutritionist, and a fitness trainer now. All this effort just to be able to figure out what foods to eat and how to REALLY (unlike what the "professionals" say) stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread