E-ciggs in Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Not a bad idea. Add on a harm reduction program for pre-existing addicts to that and you have a decent policy. Something to take care of the addicts we do have to keep them alive long enough to hopefully recover, and help dam the floodgates of new addicts while eliminating the fear/shame/strict prohibition problems.

Yep, I've been preaching that idea to my "subculture" friends for years. If only politicians had as much sense as drug addicts. lol

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA

Those who think Prisons are cruel and unusual, need to look at the statistics. Many illegals from all over the world end up in Americas prisons, many of those actually have it better than they would otherwise in their native country, albeit without the freedom to leave, they have free medical, (usually better than most free americans get and by far better than their native country) meals and air conditioned shelter while they do thier time.
Along with the "revolving door" judicial system due to overcrowding, many terms are shortened by half or 1/3 of their original sentence, all this at the tax payers expense. We in America dont run our prisons as many countries do, People around the globe dread going to thier own native correctional facilities, and hope to be sent to America, where upon their release, go right back to their lives of criminal enterprise

Within three years of their release, 67% of former prisoners are rearrested and 52% are re-incarcerated.
U.S. Prisons Overcrowded and Violent, Recidivism High — Infoplease.com

This is the biggest load of carp I think I've ever seen in print.

I'm gonna' admit something here. Back in 1986, I spent 14 months of a 3 year sentence in a minimum security Florida prison for a croakane possession charge. I spent another 14 mos. in work release, but that's another story. Remember 1986? It was a time when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a bag of the stuff, especially in Florida. Len Bias had just died, the hysteria was at it's peak and they were handing out stiff sentences like M&Ms. Plus, it was an election year. I was in my late 20's, single, had a good career going and fell into the party culture a little too heavy. Nowadays, you have to spend a minimum of 80% of your sentence behind bars regardless of overcrowding or anything else.

Here's some facts:

Not everyone in prison is violent. When I was there, I saw not one single fight between inmates. Admittedly, this was a minimum security facility and there are certainly violent inmates. But there is generally an attempt to maintain separate facilities and put you through extensive psychological scrutiny in order to classify you before you go to a permanent camp.

Not everyone is illiterate or uneducated. Some were; mostly the crackheads. But there were judges, lawyers, etc. in my camp. My cellmate was an engineer. My job was a teacher assistant. Later, I worked in the law library. Many inmates made boots for the prison system and some worked on outside road crews. No one laid around in their air conditioned private cells eating bon bons.

Prisons are not luxurious. To watch TV, we were herded into on of 3 small rooms where we sat on benches and could watch a 19" TV up in the corner. This was only from about 7:00PM till lights out at 10. There were 3 channels. I usually skipped TV time or watched the PBS one (less crowded). Periodically, as a special treat, we saw a VHS movie. PG rated only. We had about 800 inmates. Everyone worked if able. There were about 4 basketball courts, a couple weight piles, a baseball field and an admittedly pretty good library. Ours was among the best. If you were there more than a few years and could afford the materials, you could qualify for hobby privileges and make leather goods or ship models or something. If you found religion and didn't mind hanging out with the pedophiles, there were some christian oriented recreational options.

A/C: Only in classrooms, libraries and wherever the employees were forced to spend their whole days sitting down. Certainly not in inmates' living quarters. Most inmates were in 80 man dormitories. If you were good for long enough, you could move to a small "honor dorm" where there were about 40 2 man cells. That was the height of luxury there. But still no A/C

The food: Not that bad in my particular camp. It had the reputation as the best food and library of all FL state prisons. Head of kitchen was an old ex-Navy guy and that's about how the food was. It was far better than any jail. That's changed now since food service has been privatized. Mexican immigrants are used to better food, or at least no worse. Diets are skewed very heavily toward starches because they're cheap. Meat is an occasional treat. No more than 2-3x/wk. And it ain't meat you'd care for.

Medical: Totally Sucked. I had a back problem that was neglected for so long I literally couldn't stand up straight for over 6 months. (not a good thing in prison) I was nearly paralyzed for life and had to get outside help to force them to do something for me. Doctors were paid $40K a year and were all recent immigrants with language problems. Lot of Vietnamese. So many inmates were killed that the state eventually prohibited surgeries there and mandated outside civilian hospitals for surgeries. Thank God. A doctor visit literally took all day of waiting outside in the hot sun on a bleacher. Nobody malingered. Every request to see a doctor was met with hostility and skepticism. Multiple requests were usually necessary. A visit to an outside facility was a grueling 14 hour ordeal beginning at 4:00AM. Again, no malingering. You had to be pretty seriously ill to put up with it. Overall, the medical care was not better than that available in most foreign countries.

Education: There was some limited vo-tech available. But if they wanted you to do a job, you'd be pulled from any vo-tech course you were in and forced to work. That's what happened to me. I was a month into A/C tech school and was pulled to go teach crackheads how to read. I understand vo-tech has been drastically curtailed or eliminated nowadays. Forget college courses. They weren't available, at least where I was.

Smoking & misc: Most smoked roll-your-own Top or Bugler available in the canteen. You could have a personal radio, but no cassette deck as they could be used for tattoo machines. I don't know if they allow mp3 players nowadays. You could get 2 packages per year plus one on Christmas. They had a list of allowable items. If it wasn't on the list, it was contraband. A few clothing items were allowed, but very few, like socks and underwear, and there were low $ value limits on everything.

Prison is the most dehumanizing thing you can imagine. My career was shot as the state prohibits me from getting back my professional licenses. In fact, the state prohibits me from doing anything that requires a license. I can't be a barber, exterminator, real estate agent, or any number of mundane occupations. You'd be surprised how many avenues are cut off to you for life and for no logical reason that I can discern. There is no such thing as an ex-felon. The state, and most employers, consider you a lowlife forever. It's difficult to find housing and almost impossible to find decent employment. You will basically be condemned to a life of menial jobs, if you're lucky. It doesn't matter what the nature of your offense is, and it doesn't get better with the passage of time. 99% of potential employers dismiss you from consideration out of hand. Thanks to the attitudes of people like Vapulicious, if you don't personally know an employer, or during recessions, you are very nearly unemployable. If you are convicted of a drug offense (Not murder, rape, robbery. Just drug offenses), you are automatically disqualified from student loans or aid. Not that more education would do you any good anyway. And, of course, you can forget about voting or firearms, even though you are forced to live in the worst parts of town. You are, for the most part, living in internal exile and persona non-grata. And people wonder why the recidivism rate is so high. It's a wonder to me why it's not much higher. The state puts you in a position of having few legitimate options to make an honest living and most employers act as ignorant, vengeful and self-righteous as some who have posted here.

About those recidivism figures. You must take into account that most people leave prison under supervisory conditions that would be onerous and burdensome for anyone to meet. Given that many people in positions of power think like Vapulicious, I'm amazed the figures aren't much higher. The figure for re-arrests include technical violations like missing a probation appointment or failure to secure employment on time. Technical violations easily lead to re-incarceration. Offenses that would be dealt with by probation if committed by a first time offender draw prison time for ex-offenders. If the recidivism rates counted only new offenses and excluded technical violations and sentence inflation, they'd be far lower.

Sound luxurious?

It really amazes me that people will go on and on about how they'd give their lives for freedom. Live free or die!! This country is so great because we're free. Freedom is so precious that it's worth fighting any adversary or going through any tribulation to preserve.

Yet these same people insist that it's not enough for an inmate to lose his freedom. Denying an inmate his freedom, that same freedom they declare is so precious, is not enough punishment. He must also be deprived of everything else they can dream up that would possibly make his freedom deprived life one iota more tolerable.

There was an old saying in prison that we'd say to a particularly sadistic acting guard. We came to prison AS punishment, not FOR punishment.

I say, let them have e-cigs. and ban analogs. At least let the non-violent offenders vape. I think most guards would agree. There are things that would make better weapons and no inmate would sacrifice his PV to make a weapon. He'd be hurting himself more than whoever he used such a weapon on.

/Rant off

Last edited:

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
This is the biggest load of carp I think I've ever seen in print.
I'm gonna' admit something here. Back in 1986, I spent 14 months of a 3 year sentence in a minimum security Florida prison for a croakane possession charge. I spent another 14 mos. in work release, but that's another story. Remember 1986? It was a time when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a bag of the stuff, especially in Florida. Len Bias had just died, the hysteria was at it's peak and they were handing out stiff sentences like pancakes. Plus, it was an election year. I was in my late 20's, single, had a good career going and fell into the party culture a little too heavy. Nowadays, you have to spend a minimum of 80% of your sentence regardless of overcrowding or anything else.

Here's some facts:

Not everyone in prison is violent. When I was there, I saw not one single fight between inmates.

Not everyone is illiterate or uneducated. Some were, but there were judges, lawyers, etc. in my camp. My cellmate was an engineer. My job was a teacher assistant. Later, I worked in the law library. Many inmates made boots for the prison system.

Prisons are not luxurious. To watch TV, we were herded into on of 3 small rooms where we sat on benches and could watch a 19" TV up in the corner. This was only from about 7:00PM till lights out at 10. There were 3 channels. I usually skipped TV time or watched the PBS one (less crowded). Periodically, as a special treat, we saw a VHS movie. PG rated only. We had about 800 inmates. Everyone worked if able. There were about 4 basketball courts, a couple weight piles, a baseball field and an admittedly pretty good library. Ours was among the best. If you were there more than a few years, you could qualify for hobby privileges and make leather goods or ship models or something, on your own dime of course.

A/C: Only in classrooms, library and wherever the employees were forced to spend their whole days. Certainly not in inmates' living quarters.

The food: Not that bad in my particular camp. It had the reputation as the best food and library of all FL state prisons. Head of kitchen was an old ex-Navy guy and that's about how the food was. It was far better than any jail. That's changed now since food service has been privatized. Mexican immigrants are used to better food, or at least no worse. Diets are skewed very heavily toward starches because they're cheap. Meat is an occasional treat. No more than 2-3x/wk. And it ain't meat you'd care for.

Medical: Totally Sucked. I had a back problem that was neglected for so long I literally couldn't stand up straight for over 6 months. (not a good thing in prison) I was nearly paralyzed for life and had to get outside help to force them to do something for me. Doctors were paid $40K a year and were all recent immigrants with language problems. Lot of Vietnamese. So many inmates were killed that the state eventually prohibited surgeries there and mandated outside civilian hospitals for surgeries. Thank God. A doctor visit literally took all day of waiting outside in the hot sun on a bleacher. Nobody malingered. Every request to see a doctor was met with hostility and skepticism. Multiple requests were usually necessary. A visit to an outside facility was a grueling 14 hour ordeal beginning at 4:00AM. Again, no malingering. You had to be pretty seriously ill to put up with it. Overall, the medical care was not better than that available in most foreign countries.

Education: There was some limited vo-tech available. I understand it's been drastically curtailed nowadays. Forget college courses. They weren't available, at least where I was.

Smoking & misc: Most smoked roll-your-own Top or Bugler available in the canteen. You could have a personal radio, but no cassette deck as they could be used for tattoo machines. I don't know if they allow mp3 players nowadays. You could get 2 packages per year plus one on Christmas. They had a list of allowable items. If it wasn't on the list, it was contraband. A few clothing items were allowed, but very few, like socks and underwear, and there were low $ value limits on everything.

Prison is the most dehumanizing thing you can imagine. My career was shot as the state prohibits me from getting back my professional licenses. In fact, the state prohibits me from doing anything that requires a license. I can't be a barber, exterminator, real estate agent, or any number of mundane occupations. You'd be surprised how many avenues are cut off to you for life and for no logical reason that I can discern. There is no such thing as an ex-felon. The state, and most employers, consider you a lowlife forever. It's difficult to find housing and almost impossible to find decent employment. You will basically be condemned to a life of menial jobs, if you're lucky. It doesn't matter what the nature of your offense is, and it doesn't get better with the passage of time. 99% of potential employers dismiss you from consideration out of hand. Thanks to people like Vapulicious, if you don't personally know an employer, or during recessions, you are very nearly unemployable. If you are convicted of a drug offense (Not murder, rape, robbery. Just drug offenses), you are automatically disqualified from student loans or aid. Not that more education would do you any good anyway. And, of course, you can forget about voting or firearms, even though you are forced to live in the worst parts of town. You are, for the most part, living in internal exile and persona non-grata. And people wonder why the recidivism rate is so high.

About those recidivism figures. You must take into account that most people leave prison under supervisory conditions that would be difficult for anyone to meet. Given the attitudes of people like Vapulicious, I'm amazed the figures aren't much higher. The figure for re-arrests include technical violations like missing a probation appointment or failure to secure employment on time. Technical violations frequently lead to re-incarceration. If the recidivism rates counted only new offenses and excluded technical violations, they'd be far lower.

Sound luxurious?

It really amazes me that people will go on and on about how they'd give their lives for freedom. Live free or die!! This country is so great because we're free. Freedom is so precious that it's worth fighting any adversary or going through any tribulation to preserve.

Yet these same people insist that it's not enough for an inmate to lose his freedom. Denying an inmate his freedom, that same freedom they declare is so precious, is not enough punishment. He must also be deprived of everything else they can dream up that would possibly make his freedom deprived life one iota more tolerable.

There was an old saying in prison that we'd say to a particularly sadistic acting guard. We came to prison AS punishment, not FOR punishment.

I say, let them have e-cigs. and ban analogs. At least let the non-violent offenders vape. I think most guards would agree. There are things that would make better weapons and no inmate would sacrifice his PV to make a weapon. He'd be hurting himself more than whoever he used such a weapon on.

/Rant off

You know what man? Very well put. And I agree, that is no way to deter crime. I am dutifully sorry fo the failure of our system of gov't yowards you. It is a shame that your situation is more common than not. There must be better way.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Sailorman, i'm sorry your stint in prison wasnt an enjoyable one.
MOST prisoners deserve to be right where they are. This wasnt started as a validation of right or wrong with our system, only the reason why e-cigs wont be allowed in MOST prison enviroments.

That just isn't so. The majority of people in prison are there for drug related offenses.

Vapulicious

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
E.Tx
here ya go
Nearly three quarters of new admissions to state prison were convicted of nonviolent crimes. Only 49 percent of sentenced state inmates were held for violent offenses. Perhaps the single greatest force behind the growth of the prison population has been the national "war on drugs." The number of incarcerated drug offenders has increased twelvefold since 1980. In 2000, 22 percent of those in federal and state prisons were convicted on drug charges.

Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
here ya go
Nearly three quarters of new admissions to state prison were convicted of nonviolent crimes. Only 49 percent of sentenced state inmates were held for violent offenses. Perhaps the single greatest force behind the growth of the prison population has been the national "war on drugs." The number of incarcerated drug offenders has increased twelvefold since 1980. In 2000, 22 percent of those in federal and state prisons were convicted on drug charges.

Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

State prison facts ignore county prison facts. The fact is the national average for ALL prison inmates is that 60% are there for drug offenses. This is a major FAIL in my oppinion.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
It doesnt say if they are users, sellers , smugglers,etc , or if the three strikes rule are being applied.

Considering there is still a death penalty in states like utah for growing maryjane...do you really think that matters? This whole situation is out of controll.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I'm definitely not looking for sympathy or anything. I posted all that for the benefit of those who labor under the delusion that prisons are "country clubs".
My prison was as close as they come in a state prison. And it was no country club.
I'd say most of the inmates in my camp shouldn't have been there. I'd bet at least 70% of them were there for non-violent drug offenses. Some were dealers. But there are dealers and there are dealers. Almost all of the "dealers" in my camp were very small time types who sold to friends or to support their own habits. Kingpins and big time dealers got much longer sentences than were allowed in a minimum security facility.

The worse thing is not the prison. It's the grief society and especially the gov't and potential employers, give you after you serve your time. If it weren't for the support I had from friends and family, something many of the other inmates didn't have, I would have had no choice but to start dealing for profit (or worse) and I'd be another recidivist by now.

Records like mine need to be sealed after some time. And the state needs to quit it's practice of automatically disqualifying felons from so many careers and occupations that have nothing to do with their offenses. I'm not asking to be a pharmacist. But why can't I sell insurance or cut hair?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
State prison facts ignore county prison facts. The fact is the national average for ALL prison inmates is that 60% are there for drug offenses. This is a major FAIL in my oppinion.

One thing people forget is that many, possibly the majority, of people in county jails are there because they can't afford bail. They haven't been convicted of anything and are merely awaiting trial. The rest are there for sentences of one year or less. Normally, felonies draw sentences in excess of one year and that's what prisons are for.

Frankly, I'd rather spend a year in the prison I was at than 8 months in jail. In fact, some people plead with the judge to sentence them to a year and a day just so they can avoid the hellholes that most jails are. So, I guess compared to jail, prison is a country club.

sam12six

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Georgia
One thing people forget is that many, possibly the majority, of people in county jails are there because they can't afford bail. They haven't been convicted of anything and are merely awaiting trial. The rest are there for sentences of one year or less. Normally, felonies draw sentences in excess of one year and that's what prisons are for.

Frankly, I'd rather spend a year in the prison I was at than 8 months in jail. In fact, some people plead with the judge to sentence them to a year and a day just so they can avoid the hellholes that most jails are. So, I guess compared to jail, prison is a country club.

This is true.

I spent 3 days in county jail for driving on a suspended license and was amazed talking to the people who were in there. Several (usually kids 18-20) told me they had been there 6+ months because they were convicted of a minor possession charge and just couldn't come up with the money to pay the fine. Since they aren't working and earning a pittance like they would in a real prison, they're just stuck.

Additionally, I've talked to a couple of cops who both told me they're encouraged to make the crimes "bigger". What I mean is: say you're mad and pull out of your driveway too fast and lose control and run over your mailbox. Well, that's a misdemeanor destruction of property (I know, it's your mailbox but that's what one of the cops told me he arrested a guy for). Now, take the same situation and imagine that your kid is standing on the front steps and sees you run over the mailbox. Well, now that's child endangerment, which is a felony.

According to these cops, they're cramming as many people as possible into the jails for as long as possible because if they can show their jail is overpopulated, they can get federal money to build another jail (which they can then fill to over-capacity...)

I don't know the details, but the cops said it as if it were neither a secret nor something bad.

When I look at how our country is governed from the local level to the national, I just cringe and assume the whole thing is going to blow up sometime soon...

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
This is true.

I spent 3 days in county jail for driving on a suspended license and was amazed talking to the people who were in there. Several (usually kids 18-20) told me they had been there 6+ months because they were convicted of a minor possession charge and just couldn't come up with the money to pay the fine. Since they aren't working and earning a pittance like they would in a real prison, they're just stuck.

Additionally, I've talked to a couple of cops who both told me they're encouraged to make the crimes "bigger". What I mean is: say you're mad and pull out of your driveway too fast and lose control and run over your mailbox. Well, that's a misdemeanor destruction of property (I know, it's your mailbox but that's what one of the cops told me he arrested a guy for). Now, take the same situation and imagine that your kid is standing on the front steps and sees you run over the mailbox. Well, now that's child endangerment, which is a felony.

According to these cops, they're cramming as many people as possible into the jails for as long as possible because if they can show their jail is overpopulated, they can get federal money to build another jail (which they can then fill to over-capacity...)

I don't know the details, but the cops said it as if it were neither a secret nor something bad.

When I look at how our country is governed from the local level to the national, I just cringe and assume the whole thing is going to blow up sometime soon...

That's called "charge inflation" and it's been going on forever. If they over-charge you, they figure you'll plea it down to what they think you're really guilty of.

In my county, the jail charges you about $30 per day for the privilege of staying with them. If you think you're fixing to get arrested, hide your cash because they will take it from you to pay your "hotel bill". If all you have is $20, they'll take that and send you a bill for the balance due. If you arrange bail, they'll turn you out without a penny in your pocket. So while you're making your phone call you better ask the bondsman to call someone to pick you up.. The jail is in a pretty remote area, so you'll have to walk about 5 miles to the nearest convenience store and beg the clerk to borrow the store's phone (remember you don't even have a quarter for the pay phone) to call for a ride home. This is exactly what happened to a friend of mine last year. Knock wood, it's been many years since I've had to deal with jail. And I avoid cops like the lying scum half of them are.

I too am disgusted with how this country is being run, but mostly who's calling the shots. If I were still a young man, or had lots of money, I'd be doing everything possible to leave permanently because we're going down and I don't care enough about it anymore to stick it out. I'd marry a Canadian or whatever it took in a NY minute. Now, if you get your news from Rush/Fox and think Obama is a socialist, you're pretty much out of luck to find a more right wing country. The big ones were pretty much finished off during WWII and I don't think there's any left in S. or Central America anymore, although Paraguay is a possibility. If Africa intrigues you, Somalia is a Libertarian paradise. Your only real options would be in Asia (but not Japan), Indonesia or maybe one of the "-stan" countries.

Otherwise, I'd be cultivating the connections and skills to emigrate to Europe, Canada, Scandinavia or the Netherlands. Australia is so-so, as is New Zealand. But you better have tons of money for those. There are few developed countries that want anything to do with American immigrants anymore. If you're the rough-and-ready type, Belize, Nicaragua or Panama might be an option, and you don't need to be rich to survive. There are big American populations there. Nicaragua particularly is nice. On the Pacific coast it's like California was 50 or 100 years ago. It's developed some, but not destroyed by greedheads yet.

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
sailorman,

Thank you for sharing all that. And I think you make an excellent point.

I don't know you, but what you were convicted of was a victimless crime. I know people who've done a lot worse, and not spent a day in prison either because they didn't get caught, or the government doesn't care that much, or they had enough money.

With the laws what they are for the rest of your life, for a victimless crime no less, it is no surprise the re-offense rate is so high. A lot of these people are lost when they get out, when they realize the "doing time" part of it never ends if they have a felony conviction. The rest of their life is dictated and boxed in by that one offense. For some, they have nothing to return to except what they were doing that put them in jail in the first place.

Novel concept: Sometimes criminals commit crimes because that's all they know, not because they're evil horrible people. Everybody freak out!

How anyone can actually read that and still conclude "prison life is paradise, you're just whining" is... frankly, beyond me. I can only include that they didn't actually read it, because my brain simply can't compute that.

Thank you for telling us that, and man I'm sorry.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Frankly, I'm surprised the recidivism rate isn't way higher.

The "corrections" in Dept. of Corrections really should be removed.
Until the 80's, prisons used to focus on rehabilitation.
Now it really should be called Dept. of Retribution because that's all it's about.

If you knew something other than crime when you go in, there's a 50/50 chance it's all a waste because you'll either be prohibited or denied the opportunity to put your skills to use when you leave.

In the rare case that you're taught something while you're there, you have to overcome the fact that 90% of employers won't hire you anyway. Even the more enlightened employers won't hire you in a loose job market like this one.

Now, with prisons being privatized left and right, they are simply warehouses and inmate vocational rehabilitation is at an all time low. It's become a quaint anachronism.
That's the nature of what is now the fastest growing industry in the country.
It's no coincidence that the prison industry and the correctional (ha ha) officers unions spend big bucks lobbying for 3 strikes laws and mandatory sentencing. Selling fear to the public and longer sentencing to legislators is big business.
There's huge money in warehousing human beings and convincing the public that they're worthless and should just be written off. The longer they're written off for, the more profitable it is.
And, all the while, the public pays more and more tax dollars to enrich the industry and all without a peep of protest.

We have the largest prison population of any country on earth, including China and the former USSR.
It's the largest both in terms of raw numbers and as a percentage of the population.
Again that's no coincidence and it has no relationship to the amount or severity of crime.
That's why there will never be an end to the drug war. There are too many fortunes being made and too many industries that depend on it.
From drug testing to enforcement to rehab to prisons. Everyone wants a piece of the pie.
Only the "defense" industry comes close to the drug war industry and prison industrial complex.
It's sick.
Americas largest industrial sectors are both in the business of destroying lives.
Makes me proud to be an American.
Not.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
A few posters have said they were sorry. That sounds kind of strange and it's unnecessary, but I appreciate the sentiment.
None of you wrote the law and, at least when I was locked up, you were probably kids.
But, please consider this.
If you are ever in a position to hire an ex-offender, don't dismiss them out of hand.
Find out something about their situation and history. Give them a shot. You may be surprised.

The guy who hired me when I was on work release particularly liked work release employees.
They always showed up on time.
They never missed a day.
They never came in with a hangover.
They were fiercely loyal.
They volunteered to work holidays.
They never asked for time off.

And refuse to support politicians that try to get your vote by being "tough on crime".
Criminals don't decide whether to commit a crime or not based on the length or severity of any potential punishment.
If they think about it at all, they only consider their chances of being caught in the first place.

Don't support 3 strike laws unless they exempt victimless crimes. They are grievously mis-used.
They are even misused for other crimes.
An 18 year old kid steals a car; 10 years later he writes a bad check; 5 years later he steals a carton of cigarettes.
None of these are victimless. But does that really call for life w/o parole?
Statistically, 3 time violent criminals are rare and 3 strikes laws should be reserved only for them, if at all.
Support the elimination of statutory and mandatory sentencing
Judges are in the best position to know all the facts and mete out appropriate sentences. Their judgment should not be usurped by legislators out for votes.
Anybody telling you otherwise is a fear pimp or a politician.

Remember, the vast majority of prisoners get out some day.
Before you call for them to be de-humanized and degraded as part of their punishment, ask yourself if you'd like to have them move in next door after years of degrading treatment. They just might.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Just imagine what people behind bars can do with eyeglass frames... Imagine a pv being sharpened into a pointed object hate to be around that guy when his atty pops

Imagine what you could do with a pencil, a pen, a razor, a bed spring, a sock full of coins or batteries, a soda can, a sardine tin ....
The list is endless. And all of them are allowed in most medium/minimum security prisons.
A PV is no more a threat than any of them.
You've been watching too many movies or that "Lockup" show.

Last edited:

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm more of the mindset of sheriff Joe. Take EVERYTHING away. If they choose to disobey the laws put fourth by society then THEY pay for it, not me. Don't make the thought of going to prison, "aww s@#t homey, I be back in summer camp with you soon" make it like the countries that have next to no return visitors, make it a living hell on earth. Of course make the punishment fit the crime, but there is no reason to give the hardcore criminals anything.

This was a very weak point with me and my ex wife. Her uncle is serving 3 x 20 after being caught with 2.6kg of coke and shooting an officer in the shoulder when they raided his house. His poor mother spent her life savings, mortgaged a house that was previously free and clear, and tried to bleed the rest of the family of every penny she could to get him out of it. He owned a gas station, but somehow had the cash for a $10M home free and clear, 2 planes(A Beech King Air 200 and a Piper Cheyenne both $1M+ planes, not little toy 152s or something), more cars than any 1 man would know what to do with, but he was innocent, of course they were all seized lol. Anyhow, my beef was that my ex would spend anywhere from $50-$500 a month sending this convicted felon "stuff". He wasn't just convicted, he was retried 4 times and guilty every time. Comic books, dvds(of course he had a tv and dvd player in his cell), magazines, all of the creature comforts afforded to law abiding citizens. The kicker was that since she was a housewife and didn't work, it was technically my hard work that was directly affording this loser his "stuff". Shortly after our divorce my son informed me that the uncle had stabbed an inmate and a guard while in medium security and had all of his "stuff" taken away and was promptly sent to a max lol.

Long story short? No cigs, e-cigs, or anything in Jail.

kthxbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread