E-Cigs and dental work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I had a broken tooth filled about 3 weeks ago at a free dental thing. Took about 2 weeks of almost continuous motrin usage to get rid of the pain. Luckily I didn't have to open my bottle of vicodin but 1 time. Now, the reason I went to the free dental thing is I am between jobs. So, when I ran out of money last week, I switched back to my old 801. Better for me anyway right? That's what I thought until my tooth pain came roaring back last night. I don't mean like how 1 lion roars. More like the movie Braveheart. So I'm wondering if the e-cig could actually be to blame on this. When I was smoking regular cigs, I didn't have any problems. But it's as if the much more frequent and harder sucking you have to do on an e-cig may have opened up the filling somehow and allowed something into the cavity. Possibly even the vaporized e-liquid getting inside my tooth and liquid nicotine on the nerve of the tooth or something. Anybody had anything similar happen to them?

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
It sounds like you should return to the dental clinic and ask them to recheck your tooth. I have no dental expertise, but I would expect tooth repair to alleviate the pain, and wonder about the fact that it took so long for it to go away after you had the the dental work done. I don't know how much the suction might contribute, but it could if there's still a problem with the filling.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
Ill agree with CES. No way for nic to get in there to cause pain unless faulty work done, or something missed. Nicotine would sting, but only for a second. It would eventually kill the nerve. Putting raw tobacco on a toothache used to be a short term cure for pain. But long term, known to kill the nerves.
The suction would only cause issues if there was an opening as well. But the ecig thing wouldn't change much because you would do the same with an analog, maybe a little lighter, but still same actions. I'm guessing a gap was left in the dental work.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
If the ecig is doing this, then other actions will too. I'm no dentist, but I agree with the above responses that it sounds like shotty work. Or the original problem did not get fixed. I know of no reports of vaping nic causing tooth pain, certainly not here. There is far more chance of food getting into an open cavity than vapor, and sugars will make cavities hurt.

I suggest posting this in the health forum on ECF:

Health, Safety and E-Smoking

And I would go back to whoever worked on you. Realize also we are not medical doctors here, in general, and even if we were, we would probably still advise returning to the dentist that worked on you.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread