Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
We don't need Myth Busters. I can personally confirm that vapor can set off a smoke detector... it just happened to me.

I travel a LOT (about 100 nights a year), and vape in hotel rooms as a matter of course. I've never had an issue.

But today, I was having a vape, and set off the smoke detector. I know I did because the hotel staff called my room asking if I had a fire in my room... these are all linked to a common fire panel, so they know which room's detector is going off.

I've vaped in this specific hotel room all week thus far with no issue. However, a few minutes prior, I had turned off the AC/fan unit, which I never do -- I always leave the fan portion running all the time. I suspect the lack of air movement, combined with the fact that I was vaping too close to the actual detector, was the root cause.

I'll still vape in my room (in fact, I'm doing it now), but I'll be much more conscious of making sure my clouds don't get too close to that detector.

Also, to those of you who say that "vape isn't smoke", photoelectric detectors use LIGHT to detect smoke.... vapor can and will set them off if it's thick enough to block light.

Did they question you as to what might have set the alarm off?

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
The trick is to be a moderate vapor. The wife and I spent 5 days in Tallahassee for their annual festivities this year and there was no issue with both of us vaping. Of course we were using IBTanked tanks and Kayfuns. If you're into changing the atmospheric conditions in your room like the peeps who had their issues at Vapefest then you might want to vape outside.

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Yeah, I've vaped in a lot of hotels. Even once converted the maid when she came to freshen up the room while I was prepping for a meeting. She saw all of my juice and mods on the desk and started asking about them. I let her try some, and she went to a local vape shop that evening.

Hehehe... Don't be an irritant, be a gentle vapevangelist. :D

JaRod

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Delray Beach FL
I know the rooms are smoke free, and e-cig free also I'm assuming, but has anyone stayed in a Marriott and used e-cigs in a room?
We will be getting a room with the kitchen, so I'm hoping that the smoke dectors aren't too sensitive, and you can get away with vaping.
I've stayed at the Marriotts and any other hotel you can imagine all over the USA, Europe and South America, never set off a smoke alarm and never received a complain from the management regarding any residual smell, for the most part I do vanillas and custards which are not as strong as other flavors tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread