E-Cigs in the Chicago Tribune

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That was decent reporting. And I'm sure e-smokers are fine with it right up to reading the American Lung Association rep's comment. They, and the American Cancer Society, are hardcore quit-or-die types. They even oppose harm reduction.

Their philosophy presently kills people, and will continue to do so, as long as they remain opposed to any harm reduction method of obtaining nicotine. I will never join them nor will I ever donate a penny of money to further their goals.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Quote from article--"The American Lung Association of Minnesota advises smokers to save the $60 to $120 they'd spend on an e-cigarette starter kit and quit altogether. . . This is a fairly ridiculous apparatus -- a gimmick," spokesman Bob Moffitt said. "It would be like somebody going around puffing on a piece of chalk. Nobody in the medical community approves of these.""

Well I guess I am a nobody that is now smoking a "ridicuous piece of chalk" and "no doctor" approves of the piece of chalk that I have been using for 3 months that allowed me to give analogs the boot. And how about the statment "and just quit altogether"?? What does this fellow think we are doing??--goes to show what we are up against--ignorance comes to mind. Instead of saying something like "we should wait and see how just exactly how effective and safe these devices are after some studies are done!:nah:..........Sun

Jag1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2008
US-FL
Well no one really said the general American Populace has logic. Its a common problem that the idiots get to lead and the smart ones get to follow. For some reason...its been like that for years.

In a lot of cases that is so true, pglemba! :)
When Obama was elected, I was stunned! A well educated and smart man is president, how could that happen? Well, exceptions confirming the rule!
After Uncle George B. recorded the comedy channel in the oval office for 8 years with an IQ which was almost lower then the daily temperatures. Remarkable! :rolleyes:
Still, agencies and local goverments are filled with old dusty prunes pretending to be more holy then Christ! :nah:

I am just waiting on the day where the FDA tells us f.....g is a health risk and therefore we will forbid that to. It is already forbidden to do that in public! :p

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Ignorant and vehement. We tend to be happy bunnies here, seeing the wonders of our devices as being so obvious that any fool could see them. Wrong. The fools want us to quit or die. Not run around smoking bans, spewing vapor. To put your finger on the public pulse, always read the comments following press reports. They ain't on our side ... we've got a massive education and public relations task ahead of us if this is ever to be accepted.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
This from VA. It was a long article about the VA smoking ban debate, but this part deals with e cigs.
If you like irony with your punditry, consider that the feds rate nicotine one of the most heavily used addictive drugs — as addictive as ...... — and tobacco the leading cause of preventable death in this country, yet refuse to declare war on it.

As a direct result of such cowardice, one of the newest, most nefarious developments is a nicotine delivery system called the electronic cigarette. The e-cigarette is a battery-powered atomizer that looks like the real thing, complete with a red light on the tip to simulate burning tobacco.

It comes with cartridges of liquid nicotine, which gets misted into your mouth so you can inhale it, like smoke, into your lungs.

From there, it does what nicotine from any old tobacco cigarette does: Addicts you.

Manufacturers have the gall to call this a smoking cessation device — talk about cojones! — but in reality it eliminates the middle man — sorry, Philip Morris USA! — and goes straight for a sweet fix just this side of shooting up.

Best of all, e-tokers should theoretically be able to argue their way around pesky smoking bans.

And good news, kids: The hits come in candy flavors, too. Apple! Orange! Vanilla! Chocolate! Cherry! Strawberry!

It doesn't take cojones to shut down drug pushers like these — just a working brain and the will to do it.
Smoke ban takes cojones - and compromise -- dailypress.com

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
What makes me nervous is the whole, get around the smoking ban thing.

I don't esmoke in a bar, I just step outside like everyone else who smokes, I'd just rather not have the hassle to explain to people. Nor do I smoke at other people's houses because it's such a bother.

I think the main message we want to send is that we prefer this over analog cigs, not that we want to "bend the law." A lot of pieces I've seen written on Ecigs tend to emphasize bending the law. It tastes better than analog cigs, there aren't any carcinogens that we know of. We feel better, we don't stink.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I totally agree with you. But you've seen the ads, right, about "smoking anywhere" and open proclamations that e-cigs allow smokers to get around smoking bans. Oh, you bet that type of challenge will draw the attention and ire of those who pushed through the smoking bans. And those ridiculous and unfounded claims come from those who sell these!

We've also had the fist-raising, screaming posters here on ECF proclaiming they'll jolly well whip their e-cig anywhere they jolly well please and to hell with the consequences. They shout that they have a "right to vape." Nonsense. There is no such right. There are only granted privileges at others' discretion.

We would be better served if we were invisible. The more visible we are, the quicker the inevitable government attention.

Cage

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2009
Arizona, USA
What else needs to be said?

If I may:

Soon, anti-smoking forces from here will join others from around the world, and they will be launching the largest no-smoking campaign in the history of mankind.

Mankind... that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We must be united in our common interest.

Perhaps it's fate that we were all brought together in this great forum, to once again be fighting for our freedom. Not only from tyranny, oppression, and persecution, but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist, and should we win the day, this forum will no longer be known as a place for e-smokers, but as a place where we declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on... we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate... our independence day!"

Who's with me? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread