E-Cigs on airplanes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaLegion

Mar 31, 2016
SoCal, USA
Hey guys (and girls),

I've already booked my tickets and everything to fly home for the holidays, and I wanted to know the regulation on e-cigs. I'm getting mixed answers on google. I read that the FAA allows ecigs, but I'm also curious on eliquids.

Sorry of this question is repetitive. Thank you!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You can carry your mod(s), tank(s), batteries (best in silicone sleeves or plastic box for your own sake, you're up at 30,000 feet with everyone else) and juice in bottles no larger than 100 ml and all fit in a 1 quart baggie. The batteries must be in your carry on only, not in your checked luggage. You can place more juice in your checked luggage (mods without batteries and tanks too). Remember to double bag your juice so your clothes don't end up a mess.

I usually fly with 2 mods and tanks, some batteries, and a few 30 ml unicorn bottles all in my carry on without an issue going through TSA. As to what the rules are wherever you land if it's not in the US you'll have to check with that country's customs policies. Enjoy your trip!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm going to be traveling 5 days for christmass and flying to get there. 2 single battery mods will be in my carry on with batteries installed, 1 active rda removed to a zip lock bag, and 5 clicks to disable the fire buttons. Instead of rebuilding tools I have two more rda's with builds and dry wick if needed plus a square of cotton to rewick the active rda couple of times. I'll borrow or buy scissors at my destination to avoid having them confiscated by airport security. Two 18 ml bottles of DIY will hold me for 5 days, may be I'll add a third. Last item, a 2 port USB charger. I can be using one mod while the other is charging so no need for spare batteries.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Southwest allows vaping gear just like all airlines do.
The info is on their website in the special baggage section in the ecigs tab.
--->Special Luggage | Southwest Airlines
I use SW frequently, never had a question or strange look flying with vape stuff on any airline.

Batteries must be carried on, loose cells must be protected from contact with other objects / battery case, silicon sleeve etc.
E liquid travels just like any other liquids carried on in a quart size baggie or in checked luggage.
No US based airline allows vaping on the plane.

Last edited:

JuiceWhisperer

Dec 8, 2016
I use SW frequently, never had a question or strange look flying with vape stuff on any airline.

Batteries must be carried on, loose cells must be protected from contact with other objects / battery case, silicon sleeve etc.
E liquid travels just like any other liquids carried on in a quart size baggie or in checked luggage.
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Those are the same rules as on any US airline I've traveled. Samsung Note 7s, however, are banned from airlines (as well as Amtrak trains and stations). At least there's one product treated worse than vape gear. Oh, that and hoverboards.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'll borrow or buy scissors at my destination to avoid having them confiscated by airport security.

I routinely take a pair of fingernail scissors and another pair, for cutting other stuff, with me on every flight I take. I think as long as the blades are like 3" or less...they're fine according to TSA regs. The regular pair I take is usually just a pair of the small, cheapy ones from Dollar Tree (pointed ones, not rounded tips). Never had them taken nor questioned.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I routinely take a pair of fingernail scissors and another pair, for cutting other stuff, with me on every flight I take. I think as long as the blades are like 3" or less...they're fine according to TSA regs. The regular pair I take is usually just a pair of the small, cheapy ones from Dollar Tree (pointed ones, not rounded tips). Never had them taken nor questioned.
I shipped some presents that include batteries to my destination to avoid any risk of objections. The last time I flew I'm sure there were Thrum scissors in my carry on. The blade and sharpness aren't much different from a box cutter. It's not great inconvenience to leave them at home. My hunch is the safest place for batteries is in a regulated mod with no atomizer and the fire button disarmed with 5 clicks. I'm getting so I don't want to carry loose batteries in a pocket even with a case. I'm going to get one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3JSEG...lid=1175D1C0HPR2Y&coliid=I343IA33KNEHIV&psc=1
because it lets me see how much mAH a used battery can take on as a guide to when to replace them. In all the rest of my life safety is not an inconvenience. Why not do everything right with vaping.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey guys (and girls),
I've already booked my tickets and everything to fly home for the holidays, and I wanted to know the regulation on e-cigs. I'm getting mixed answers on google. I read that the FAA allows ecigs, but I'm also curious on eliquids.
Sorry of this question is repetitive. Thank you!
Hi again DaLegion. Your question is important. See posts :
Liquids Rule
Pack Safe – Electronic cigarettes, vaping devices
(How to take ecig through security?)
In short, batteries on your person. Place in small dish/holder to pass through x-ray.

Reactions: DaLegion

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I had my bag searched after going through security because of how I had my mod sitting in my bag. Tsa said that the top of my rda looked like the barrel of a gun. He said to make sure to lay it flat in your bag and you shouldn't have any issues.
I usually take my mods out of my bag when going through the security check and place them separately and openly in the tray. Makes things easier.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

abn75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
mobile, al, United States
I've carried a full rebuild kit with me on a plane,in carry on. Wicks, wire, cutters, sissors, screw drivers, rda, rta, 6 sets of 18650 batteries, two mods, 4 bottles of juice,charger, rayon and shiseido. Tsa opened my build kit, looked at it,closed it and said have a nice day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread