E cigs said hazardous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Having said that I would like to here some proper research regarding theses devices.. I feel healthier using my c-cig compared to real smokes, but if there are potentially negative effects I would like to know them as well.

Precisely! I will continue esmoking regardless- unless it is shown somewhere that Esmoking is magnitudes worse than ciggs, but I'd at least liek to know what it is that I am smoking-

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
apologies are due to big Pharm..guess what? Thailand makes its own Nicotine gum now!

Yongyuth Tundulawessa used to be a heavy smoker, but kicked the habit. Now he intends to help others quit by introducing locally made nicotine gum.

The associate professor, who is deputy dean of the science faculty at Srinakharinwirot University's Prasarnmit campus, has registered the gum, Nicomild-2, with the Intellectual Property Department. It will be officially launched at the university on Tuesday.

With the registration, the university will become Thailand's first copyright owner of a nicotine gum formula

The Nation which posted the original article also posted a story last year about Yongyuth Tundulawessa's admirable undertaking to help reduce the number of cigarette addicts..
Our goal is to help at least 300 people quit smoking before the end of this year," said Assoc Prof Dr Yongyuth Tundulawessa, deputy dean for Planning and Development at the SWU

All a person wanting to quit needs to do is have a chat with a doctor over the phone, Yongyuth said.

"While having the conversation, the doctor will look for reasons behind the habit and will then give you the appropriate quitting technique," he said. "Those doctors are good at persuading and constant encouragement makes it easy to quit."

However, advice is not the only thing to help people quit. Participants will also be given free nicotine chewing gum, "Nicomild-2", developed by Yongyuth and SWU for free at the Lung Disease Hospital. The gum can also be bought at local drug stores

AKA Lets get them addicted to my sh*t.

it would be guess that the anonymous Dr Varanant Buejeap and the esteemed Yongyuth Tundulawessa if not one in the same are in league. I would not be slow in casting The Nation into the fire for good measure also.

Last edited:

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I think we need to take a neutral approach here- neither belief nor disbelief. The Dentist may be able to back ht4e claims up, and she may not- we just don't know, but I don't htink we can just wave the claim away, but also don't htink we can believe it either- not until the doc backs up her claims with clinical reports.

Naz, you don't have to bend over backwards to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's making an extraordinary claim, the onus is on her to support it, not on us to be neutral. Not all claims are equal and there's no obligation to treat claims that run counter to all known evidence as valid until proven otherwise.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That "article" is a travesty. I spent my entire adult life as a journalist for reputable publications, where facts and truth were important. Attribution was important. Accuracy was important. No reader question was left unasked in an interview.

At Time/Life, there were researchers whose job was the check every fact before an article was printed. The article didn't get printed until there was a blue check mark above every fact.

You'd never see something as pathetic as this Thai "article" printed in the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post or my papers, the St. Petersburg Times and The Tampa Tribune.

I guess I take personal offense at shoddy journalism.

Way to go, DC.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
the doctor's name is not searchable and it is certainly not mentioned anywhere at the university's site. this article was ran as a headline on yahoo which is strange in itself for such a minor publication to attract this kind of mainstream attention.

Not really. Yahoo publishes The Nation all the time.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Naz, you don't have to bend over backwards to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's making an extraordinary claim, the onus is on her to support it, not on us to be neutral. Not all claims are equal and there's no obligation to treat claims that run counter to all known evidence as valid until proven otherwise.

I'm not tryign ot do that, I am though curious as to whether there is any truth to what she says- My hope is that it's all bubkis, but I also want to know if there indeed might be carcinogens, and if so, how many, and how severe might htey be- I'm an armchair medical/biology investigator, and I've learned that the bodies chemistry is a remarkable and complicated machine, and while her claims might be exaggerated, or outright false, if htere is soem basis of truth, I'd liek to know abotu it so that I know what we're takign in in fairly large quantities-

I personally am not all that concerned, as I still do smoek regular ciggs, but if there are soem carcinogens, I wantot know about them just for the sake of makign informed descions one way or hte other.

That's all I'm suggesting, not that we give her any benefit of doubt, or to outright dismiss her without knowing for sure- I just want hte truth one way or hte other.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
That "article" is a travesty. I spent my entire adult life as a journalist for reputable publications, where facts and truth were important. Attribution was important. Accuracy was important. No reader question was left unasked in an interview.

At Time/Life, there were researchers whose job was the check every fact before an article was printed. The article didn't get printed until there was a blue check mark above every fact.

You'd never see something as pathetic as this Thai "article" printed in the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post or my papers, the St. Petersburg Times and The Tampa Tribune.

I guess I take personal offense at shoddy journalism.

Way to go, DC.

I agree TB- the article is very very shoddy, as I stated in previous post- I do blogging on my own site, and if there is soemthign that I am 'reporting on' (Blogging reporting, which is different than journalism reporting) that can't be verified, and shown so that the reader has evidence to back up the claims, I don't report on it- period. The National article was a very bad example of journalism in my opinion, but again, the 'what-if' comes into play now that hte article is out htere- and what I am after is the truth, as it pertains to a product I use heavily- Most likely htere isn't any truth, but what-if there is? I just want to know- that's all.

P.S I've used the Tampa tribune for soem info on stories i nthe past- woohoo (Yes, I know, hard ot beleive with my bad spelling I report on stuff lol, but I take my time as laboriuous as it is to make sure I write well)

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
I did send mails to 3 top-tier addresses listed on their site asking if there was anyone by that name who worked there and then some then other Q's. so far no responses and none from The Nation either. Perhaps school is still out for the summer though.

Mahidol University dental school researcher Dr Varanant Buejeap says
This sentence suggest that tests might not have been carried out at the school but by a researcher who works at the school..

my thinking is still that whole story is bollix. just a case of prooving the guilty party/ies.

"bluejeap".... what sort of name is that anyway. Maybe Bob would know if there is some sort of watchdog media group we can get on the case.

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
You need to ask someone who actually runs the department or whatever.

I'm sure one could make e-liquid "with 28 carcinogenic substances, such as
alkaloida, which releases substances that have amphetaminelike effects". It really depends on how e-liquid is manufactured. That doesn't mean every e-liquid would nor that e-cig would be more dangerous than cigs.

After reading that for the 10th time, I think "nicotine released by the electronic cigarette is absorbed into blood vessels faster than regular cigarettes" is the only new tibid of information they learned. Considering your lungs wouldn't be covered in tar all the time, I might actually believe this. I would imagine this can be adjusted easily if need be.

Nicotine increasing blood pressure isn't exactly news.
Nor is higher blood pressure increasing risk of heart failure.

So yeah, this is what I'd like to call FUD(Fear, uncertainty and doubt) flavored with a hint of new information.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
excellenty point jigtg- if they are going to ban the devices, they will have to prove every single liquid sold causes the 28 carcinogens (or thereabouts) because as you said- there are many different concoctions of juice on the market. As well, who knows if that study didn't intentionally add stuff to be tested that they knew would show up bad? What juice did they test? What device? Was their device pre-primed at hte factory with the bad substances?

We need answers !!! Not generalizations by some dentist who apparently can't be bothered to provide the evidences to back their claims up.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm not concerned about the allegations; I'm concerned about the impact the unfounded allegations will have on those who read this "article" -- and don't know better. Words in print are powerful. And believed. I spent a career with them.

This also tells us a great deal about our enemies. Forget the article; remember the hoopla it caused even among us. It's not a trivial thing.

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
it didnt cause any hoopla with me,because i disregarded it immediately as unsubstantiated blurting.

but yeah,to the uninformed its pretty damaging stuff...

theres always been propaganda...the question is-what are we supposed to do about it?

i dont think we can do much about this kind of article until a legitimate and comprehensive study is fully completed and published,and gives us hopefully favourable,concrete facts to hurl back...

so we are currently relatively powerless to defend our position against quacks like this.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I'm not concerned about the allegations; I'm concerned about the impact the unfounded allegations will have on those who read this "article" -- and don't know better. Words in print are powerful. And believed. I spent a career with them.

This also tells us a great deal about our enemies. Forget the article; remember the hoopla it caused even among us. It's not a trivial thing.

exactly, because it's the rabid anti-everythingers, the rabid anti-smokers who will grab words liek the article, run to congress with htem and scream bloody murder while we e-vaperers who don't have a powerful voice, will be left wonderign what just happened when the products become banned.- that's beeny my concern as well, s with any misinformation ot info that hasn't been backed up with evidence.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
im not convinced the government is in on the game unless they themselves make a tidy profit from the nicotene gum that is patented by a university professor, made in thailand and marketed by him at universities to students who wish to quit the weed. remember, this gum is sold only through pharmacies and dentists in thailand.

The thai government has prooved to me by their anti-smoking measures that their only agenda is to get people off tobacco, so unless i find that some ministers are connected to the prof or the thai government earns a huge margin of their taxes through the gum, i scratch them off the list. what i would like to do is investigate the professor which i will try to...still no returned mails by the way.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Keep at 'em, DC. But read Dr. Loi's posts when his study was effectively shut down by the Thai government. It's all about money. Thailand is very anti-cigarette, yes, but it will also be very anti e-cigarette. Bet on it. This might just be a rogue researcher looking to kick up sales of nicotine gum, but I still smell something stronger than that ...

You still haven't been able to confirm this "doctor" even exists, right?

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
yeah bob, dr bluejeap does not exist outside of that article and nor does the odd surname "bluejeap". I was not aware of Dr loi's posts about the restrictions the thai government put on his research. thank-you for making me aware of them. are they located in the forum? i will try to find them and take them into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread