Status
Not open for further replies.

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
I don't vape around my kids. I don't want others to vape around my kids. I think they are doing a good thing here. There is evidence that there is nothing (or very little) that can hurt anyone as far as "second hand vaping" but its not worth any sort of risk for my kids. They are the reason I stopped smoking cigarettes anyway.

renstyle

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Boone, Iowa
I don't vape around my kids. I don't want others to vape around my kids. I think they are doing a good thing here. There is evidence that there is nothing (or very little) that can hurt anyone as far as "second hand vaping" but its not worth any sort of risk for my kids. They are the reason I stopped smoking cigarettes anyway.

Kudos to you regarding the little ones, I've got to agree. I'm all for vaping for myself but I wouldn't want to promote it as something any non-smoker would want to start, goes double for my kids. There are 40 million smokers in America still, that's a pretty big market, will be around for some time. I'm already paying for many people's smoking habit with my tax dollars, would love to switch them to something like PVs, since I'm paying for it anyway.

Just my $0.02

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
Kudos to you regarding the little ones, I've got to agree. I'm all for vaping for myself but I wouldn't want to promote it as something any non-smoker would want to start, goes double for my kids. There are 40 million smokers in America still, that's a pretty big market, will be around for some time. I'm already paying for many people's smoking habit with my tax dollars, would love to switch them to something like PVs, since I'm paying for it anyway.

Just my $0.02

Correction...smokers pay more than their fair share of taxes...your tax dollars are paying for military operations.

porkchopsisgood

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2011
Cape Coral, FL USA
My nephews see the PV as a better alternative to smoking, but they also understand that not smoking in the first place would have been the better choice. I do vape around them, but they have been educated on any and all risks concerning my vaping; and it's easy to demonstrate there is minimal or no risk when it comes to 2nd hand vapor: I've taken a pair of military-grade goggles, blown the vapor directly into the goggles, and placed them on my eyes until the vapor dies. It doesn't even cause me to blink.

Try that with cigarette smoke...call the eye doctor first.

As for airplanes...I didn't start vaping as a big "middle finger" to analog smokers who have to take it outside. I started vaping because I THOUGHT it would be cost effective (one of these years :)), and definitely better for my health. If laws are passed that mimic restrictions of smoking for vaping...oh well. Fun while it lasted. The thing that I take issue with is any sales restrictions that keep me from exercising my right as a consumer.

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Couple of options....

1. You can stealth vape and risk getting caught (fines and TSA hassles are not worth it)
2. You can vape in the terminal before and after the flight without issues from the airlines.
3. You can fly private and vape all you want.

I can't stand commercial travel so I fly myself, unless I need to travel overseas.

Last edited:

mgabrys

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Couple of options....

1. You can stealth vape and risk getting caught (fines and TSA hassles are not worth it)
2. You can vape in the terminal before and after the flight without issues from the airlines.
3. You can fly private and vape all you want.

I can't stand commercial travel so I fly myself, unless I need to travel overseas.

I'm in PHX. You fly your own plane or take one of the commuters? Might have heavy travel in the next few years (short hops to LA mostly). I'd be happy to give airfare to a private pilot or commuter service instead of the heavy carriers if they're going to pile this on top of the grope-fests.

Just so long as I can have it in my carry on, since i try not to check a bag. I put mine in my laptop bag next to a laser pointer that looks similar. The juice is kept to one or two flavors and goes in my 311 with deoderant and visine, etc. Been thru several TSA check points no hassel to date.

icon14.gif

Thanks to the tip :2cool:

-[Arsenic]

Tankgirl

Jan 21, 2011
Tulsa!
What do you think, want to start some good old-fashioned protesting? I am also incensed at all of the tactics used by all of these gangsters who are banding together to get a piece of what they see as a lucrative pie, ie, the vaping industry.

I think it's going to get worse rather than better and that we all have to immediately do whatever we can to stop this happy bull.....
Lautenburg, you ....ing hypocrite. How many people did your industry not have a single problem with killing themselves lighting up on planes in those laughable "smoking sections" and others around them with second-hand smoke? I know I must have polluted a fair number of infants in my travels in the good old days when non-smokers had to "suck it up" and the their only remedy was to not fly. Maybe we should now take advantage of that same option, Lautenburg.
I wonder whose hand is up your ... when you make those pathetically stupid statements designed to slander a technology you either know nothing about, but most likely know plenty enough about to support your buddies trying to get you to help them regulate the vaping industry into their own greedy pockets. Maybe your finances should now and in future be monitored to see who's paying you off. Maybe we're not as stupid as you idiots like to always think we are. I know you are banking on it, so I would love to see you take it where it hurts the most- I don't fly anymore, smoking made my too ill to do a lot anymore, but I can sure talk to others who know what crap you are trying to feed us now.
Anyway, thanks for the link, Arsenic, I like your doggie. Mine's name is Rosie, a 3 year old pugzu.
TG

Last edited:

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
I'm in PHX. You fly your own plane or take one of the commuters? Might have heavy travel in the next few years (short hops to LA mostly). I'd be happy to give airfare to a private pilot or commuter service instead of the heavy carriers if they're going to pile this on top of the grope-fests.

I have my own, and have access to larger airplanes. I hate flying to LA but will do Van Nuys, Fullerton, Orange County, Catalina Island (but then you would need a boat). Drop me a PM. I'm on the road during the summer months working a few air shows.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
As cool as it is that you can theoretically vape anywhere, I can see the reasoning. Truthfully, I'm not too worried about ecigs being regulated to the same extent as cigarettes, but I am worried about them being regulated more than analogs, which it sounds like is where things might be headed. As long as we're allowed to carry them on the plane like analogs, all should be okay. After all, people can vape in the lav without anyone every figuring it out!

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
Or, perhaps it's a better idea to not push it. As soon as they realize that people can stealth vape at their seats or in the lavs, the only way to totally prevent it will be to prohibit having them in your possession period. And, believe me, the government will go that route rather than throw their hands up and say "you're right; go ahead".

I would much rather be able to carry my device with me and use it once I land than not be able to take it with me at all for my trip. Because, remember, you can't put li-ion batteries in your checked baggage either. I survived without smoking while flying before. I imagine I'll survive the same without vaping.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Where did you see a reference that they cannot be carried on a plane? The lithium batteries are actually required to be transported as carry-on, rather than checked luggage, and the liquids fall under the general TSA guidance for carry-on liquids. I'm not disagreeing, just do not see where you got the information. (a ban on using them is not the same as a ban on transporting them)

I just got home from a round trip. They hardly blinked twice at my various bags of juice, batteries, kits and disposables in my carry on. They were more concerned about my boots and the inserts :p

Yup, assuming you were in the bathroom. Even if you screw up and somehow set off the smoke detector, there really isn't any way they could prove it.

Take controlled drags and exhales and blow it down the sink drain and there isn't any even momentary accumulation of visible vapor in the air at all. Even if one made the erroneous assumption that second-hand vapor is somehow harmful, it isn't even discourteous to others to vape in the lav in this manner (other than hogging the lav for a few minutes).

I don't know how you would set off the smoke detector...? Doesn't that detect smoke? Vaper is water molecules, is it not..? Smoke would be heat generated (or so I would think..)?? Anyone??

Or, perhaps it's a better idea to not push it. As soon as they realize that people can stealth vape at their seats or in the lavs, the only way to totally prevent it will be to prohibit having them in your possession period. And, believe me, the government will go that route rather than throw their hands up and say "you're right; go ahead".

I would much rather be able to carry my device with me and use it once I land than not be able to take it with me at all for my trip. Because, remember, you can't put li-ion batteries in your checked baggage either. I survived without smoking while flying before. I imagine I'll survive the same without vaping.

These are my concerns too. That they will ban them MORE, because of the FDA problems, and because they aren't backed by big tobacco, and because they are not main-stream. To push the issue, and "vape where we want" or to thumb our noses at the current rules, will only add fuel to their so-called fire.

2c

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I don't know how you would set off the smoke detector...? Doesn't that detect smoke? Vaper is water molecules, is it not..? Smoke would be heat generated (or so I would think..)?? Anyone??

The vapor will set off the "smoke" detector in an airplane lavatory if blown directly towards it. I don't know much about smoke detector technology but understand that if anything interrupts a light beam inside the device (smoke or vapor), the alarm will sound. Several people on the ECF have reported that from first-hand experience. In their reports, the alarm sounds for only a few seconds (until the vapor dissipates). But I'm about to take a trip and will not be known as "that guy" who caused a kerfuffle over the Atlantic with his e-cig.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
The vapor will set off the "smoke" detector in an airplane lavatory if blown directly towards it. I don't know much about smoke detector technology but understand that if anything interrupts a light beam inside the device (smoke or vapor), the alarm will sound. Several people on the ECF have reported that from first-hand experience. In their reports, the alarm sounds for only a few seconds (until the vapor dissipates). But I'm about to take a trip and will not be known as "that guy" who caused a kerfuffle over the Atlantic with his e-cig.

:?: WOW! Good to know! hehee.. I was vaping like a fog machine in the lavatory.. glad I was waving my hands around like a kook too!! We had enough troubles flying through BOTH sets of bad storms last week.
I shall keep that info in mind... makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread