...E-Hookah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

housewife

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
So, I've been tossin around ideas with co-workers, and somehow a vaporizing hookah came up. Anyone know of anything like this already out there? I'm picturing just a standard hookah, with an oversized atomizer in the neck, and where theres normally water in the bottom, just a nice healthy amount of nic-juice. I'm picturing a couple hoses for multiple users, etc. Probably needs to be fully electric, I imagine batteries wouldnt cut it for this kind of usage.

Maybe the halogen mod for the atomizer? I imagine it would actually be pretty cool to have the atomizer fully visible (through the glass/acrylic of the hookah), so you can watch it heating up, etc.

Anyway, yeah, anyone have any ideas?

midgetwithbigknife

Feb 18, 2009
*crickets chirping* hahaha
actually i've thought about this myself, but i'm afraid i don't know enough about the atomizers at this point... i also unfortunately don't think this would actually work, i don't so much think the vapor would actually survive the bubbling through the water... but i'm hopeful that you or someone else might be able to actually make this work. as a hookah fan myself, it would be really nice however, bubbling it through the water wouldn't serve much a purpose in itself though, seeing as the actual point of the water in a hookah is to cool and filter the smoke and with vaping, the "smoke" is already cool and doesn't need filtering. however, don't let me discourage you because i think this thing would be really cool

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
kristinWiz2.jpg

We were joking about these before. Leaford bought one I think. It's called the wizard stick for $16.95 from Zero toys. Don't think that one worked to well though

..Leaford ??

housewife

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
*crickets chirping*

Heh, no doubt right? :p

But yeah, I actually wasnt thinking about having a water "filter" involved at all, I guess I should have explained it better. I was thinking instead of water, have the e-juice. But yeah, either way, sounds like it could be fun.

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Well, I just did an experiment where I rigged my e-cig up to my ..... The vapor does pass through the water, however you lose about 50% of it at least. Smoking a regular hookah however is already vaping though. For those of you who don't know how a hookah works, there is a large vase and at the top there is a bowl. You put the shisha (flavored tobacco and molasses mixture) in the bowl and cover it with tin foil. You poke holes in the tinfoil to allow hot air to pass through, and you put a lit coal on top of the tin foil. When you inhale, you draw the heat from the coal into the bowl which vaporizes the shisha. From under this bowl a tube goes down through the vase into the water. It then is drawn through the water as you inhale on the hose, which is connected to the vase base above the water-line.

I actually made an improved version which insures that the shisha is completely vaporized without any being burnt. I wish I had a picture of it but the set-up I made broke and I never felt like making it again. I took the bowl off the top of the tube. I then took an Erlenmeyer flask (the cone shaped kind) and attached one side of a hose to the top of the Erlenmeyer flask and one side to the top of the hookah tube. I then built a small platform on top of the hookah where the bowl would have been and attached a tomato can and cut it down to about half it's original height, put slits on the sides and then placed the Erlenmeyer flask on top of that and secured it in place. The hot coal goes in the can, and a 1-2cm layer of shisha is spread evenly at the bottom of the Erlenmeyer flask. The heat from the coal beneath the Erlenmeyer flask heats the shisha and causes it to vaporize, the vapor is drawn out of the top of the flash and down into the hookah, and then through the water, into the hose that you're inhaling on and into your mouth. If anyone is having difficulty understanding what I was trying to describe I could do a drawing/diagram on the computer.

Last edited:

housewife

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
Did someone say E-Hooka? (cant post link yet)

Or build your own (cant post link yet)

Bah, wish I wasnt behind websense here at work, I wanna check these out!

And about the vapor passing through water, I'm really not thinking thats necessary at all. I understand thats the principle objective of a standard hookah, but as far as an e-hookah would be concerned, I dont think water filtration would be necessary at all. I would be more interested in the social aspect/experience than anything.

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Bah, wish I wasnt behind websense here at work, I wanna check these out!

And about the vapor passing through water, I'm really not thinking thats necessary at all. I understand thats the principle objective of a standard hookah, but as far as an e-hookah would be concerned, I dont think water filtration would be necessary at all. I would be more interested in the social aspect/experience than anything.

Well then as I said, there's no reason for it to be made to work with e-liquid and electricity. Regular hookahs already vaporize tobacco, they don't burn it (unless you do it the old-fashion style putting the coal directly on the shisha with no tinfoil). The only improvement that could me made for hookahs is for them to have an electric heating element rather then having to use a coal, which I believe is what vince posted. But either way you're still vaporizing the shisha whether it's electric or done with a hot air from a coal.

Hookahs are a great way to vape because they actually use real tobacco, or you can buy herbal blends, but the tobacco has almost no nicotine anyway. I recommend any guava flavor, they vape really nice in a hookah and the taste is really refreshing.

If anyone is interested I have a 3 foot (36 inch) hookah that my uncle gave me and I don't use it anymore, so I'm looking to sell it for about $30 plus shipping. The hookah was purchased in the 60's by him (and even went to Woodstock) however the bowl was recently replaced so it's completely clean and the hose was replaced about a year ago. If anyone is interested I'll take some pictures and send them to you.

Last edited:

MisterPuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2009
Oklahoma City, Ok. U.S.A
Now I'm not a genius, but looking at D's 401 mod just a bit lower down on this forum couldnt you just set up a multi-chamber battery pack, run the wiring all the way out and have i connecter to a free-floating atomizer?

That would be, Pack-cord-atomizer. then you just slap your flip button halfway up the cord. with a segmented battery pack you could have it look like a hookah with multiple smoke points. Group vaping.

Someone correct me if Im totally wrong about this.

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Definitely needs 4 braided hoses.

Eh, that really depends. The more hoses you have the harder it is to draw and the less vapor you get, especially if not all 4 hoses are being used. I find that 2 hose and 1 hose hookahs work the best, unless you have a group of like 20 people. Switching off with people isn't that bad, if you just sit there smoking it the whole time you''ll get tired of it before your even half way through the bowl.

EDIT: And pretty much all hookahs have braided hoses, some just have an extra covering over the braided hose to prevent damage to the hose.

Last edited:

Sadie

Feb 22, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Kinda looking at it from a different angle.. but the main draw to a hookah, as I see it, is the social aspect of hanging out with friends, smoking from a communal device. So rather than having a giant atomizer, would a glorified USB hub with a handful of USB passthroughs work to the same effect? You could even build it into the shell of an old hookah.. maybe have a base with spots for little bottles of liquid so that people can top off or drip as they please.

Come to think of it.. that sounds really tempting!

Sadie

Feb 22, 2009
Alberta, Canada

housewife

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and had all kinds of fantastic ideas... The 4 hose hookah, each with an independent atomizer and cart/reservoir...
And then the 1 hose hookah, but also with 4 separate atomizers/carts, only you could have four buttons on the mouthepiece/handle, so you could vape different flavors at the touch of a button, or even mix and match flavors to your hearts content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread