E juice and blood sugar?? Diebetics PLEASE chime in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmakatie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
MO
Ok I am a severe Hypoglycemic, and can't have SUGAR or it's derivitive period or I bottom out bad. I have noticed since vaping that I am having numerous severe episodes. I have a Dr's appointment Thursday to track it down.

Does e juice have any glucose/sugar in it or does it make the Diabetics on the board, blood sugar go up? Because if it makes thier blood sugar go up, it will make mine crash!

My Nic base is PG, and I mix it with VG, I also have been using various flavors including ethyl maltol, the flaors are from Perfumers apprentice and Flavour Arts.

I would hope the vaping is not effecting me as I love it and do not want analogs anymore!

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
Type 1 here and I find vaping has no effect on my glucose levels. Having said that...as I'm sure you're aware, diabetes is a fickle affliction that doesn't play by the same rules with everybody. Check bloodsugars before and after a vaping session and check with your endo/doctor for their input. Sorry to hear that you bottom out...that's a terrible feeling and pretty much ruins the rest of my day.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Since we vape to get off analogs and all their additives, I like my juice as pure as I can get it, Im just after the nicotine.Check out Innovapor.com I use their Ultrapure 100% VG unflavored 36mg e-liquid... I think its the purest stuff out there and @ 36mg nicotine it really satisfies an ex-smoker.... Use the code ECF20 for a discount... I have been using the Ultapure for over 1.5 years now and love it...

Last edited:

JuicedUp

Feb 10, 2012
Lancashire, England
I'm type 2 and I've been noticing elevated blood sugar levels since I started vaping. There's actually a couple of threads on here already which ask the same question. No-one really has a definitive answer. Some diabetics get elevated readings and some don't.

I did a bit of research and apparently nicotine itself does raise blood sugar levels. This is why it's a good appetite suppressant. Smokers generally have higher levels of blood sugar than non-smokers, because of it. Perhaps we're getting more nicotine than we had before, or it's hitting harder?

Glycerol (VG) and propylene glycol (PG) are both glucose related and convert to glucose in the body, although they are not sugars themselves.(The clues are in their names, really) However, are we getting enough to really set off the sugar spikes?

It's a mystery. Something is affecting some of us, but not all of us. I have a diabetic clinic appointment next week and I intend to ask the doctor if she can find any info for me.

Last edited:

simply me

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
california
I'm diabetic. Been vaping for 2 yrs now and it has never raised my BC. Stress is one of the things that raise BS and I find that vaping helps keep the stress down. I'm not sure what pg or vg might do. Something to ask doctor. I myself have no problems. There is no sugar in e-liquid. And i'm sure we are not getting as much nic as we got in a real cigarette. Good luck.

jslick_007

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
I'm type 2 and have been checking my levels 3 times daily. What I've noticed in my situation is that it acts as a multiplier. If my glucose level is good, it's real good (<120), but if it's bad, it's real bad (had a 300+ reading the other day). In other words, what I eat has a part in it in combination with the nic level. That said, I agree with JuicedUp and Hawkize that it affects people differently and the only way to truly know would be to look into it yourself.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
The best thing you can do is to monitor / .. in my case, it has not had any noticable effect .. and with the small amount of nic and flavor most of us get, I would tend to think the effect is small, if at all .. however, I also feel that the mixed results some report may be from the use of various flavors / PG / VG blends, etc ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread